Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ISO of something for fried chicken or similar to shake n bake.

TIA,
Sara

If I come across any in my surfing, I'll post it later.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here's what I do.

I dampen the chicken with water (you could use milk or whatever if you prefer) first. Then I put a couple of cups of corn flakes into a gallon size Ziploc bag and crush 'em with a rolling pin or whatever's on hand. I add some garlic powder, pepper, onion powder, basil, etc. (whatever spices you like).

Then I put the chicken in there one piece at a time, zip the bag closed, and shake till completely coated. Do this with all your chicken pieces, and bake at about 350 in a Pam-coated pan.

It tastes pretty good. :) I had to do something with all those free boxes of corn flakes I got with coupons. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Here's a good one from one of my many cookbooks. It's from "Cooking from Quilt Country" by Marcia Adams. It's a great oven fry recipe.

1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup butter
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp marjoram (optional)
chicken pieces

Place oil and butter in a shallow cooking pan and put in a preheated 375 degree oven to melt. Set aside.

In a paper sack, combine the flour and seasonings. Roll the chicken pieces in the melted oil-butter mixture, then drop them in the sack and shake to cover. Place on a dish or wax paper.

Place the chicken in the pan, skin side down. Bake for 45 minutes. With a spatula, turn over and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the top crust begins to bubble.

I usually use boneless breasts for this, but any chicken pieces would do just fine. Bon Appetit! :leg:

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
"Shake and Bake" Mix

1 cup corn flake crumbs
1 T. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in a resealable plastic baggie.

To serve: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place seasoning mix in a large plastic baggie. Moisten chicken pieces with water and drop them into the bag, two or three pieces at a time. Twist bag closed and shake to coat pieces evenly. Place coated chicken pieces on a foil-lined rimmed cookie sheet. Bake for about 45 minutes, until cooked through.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I do the cornflake thing as well but I use plain yogurt to dip them in first. Then the cornflakes. I make my yogurt with non fat dry milk, so alot less fat!
God Bless,
~Michele~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts