Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how you make your HM french fries. My son can not have hydrogenated oils so if I do not buy the expensive fries he can not have any. How do you make your fries? peels on? oven or fry pan? type oil? do you freeze them? I have seen some recipes but they do not tell me how much oil for the amount of potatoes. :stir:

Any help would be appreciated

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I basically eye ball mine: about four large baking potatoes (sliced into wedges with peels on), a drizzle of olive oil (I'd guess it's around 3 TBSP or so, I never measure) and seasonings: celery salt, a lot of parsley, onion powder, garlic powder. I shake them all together in a large ziplock, and then bake them at 400 for 45 minutes to an hour. I line my cookie sheet with foil and spray it with cooking spray, as they do tend to stick.

That's how I do them now.... but it's based on this recipe if you want more specifics: http://www.recipezaar.com/69636

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I basically eye ball mine: about four large baking potatoes (sliced into wedges with peels on), a drizzle of olive oil (I'd guess it's around 3 TBSP or so, I never measure) and seasonings: celery salt, a lot of parsley, onion powder, garlic powder. I shake them all together in a large ziplock, and then bake them at 400 for 45 minutes to an hour. I line my cookie sheet with foil and spray it with cooking spray, as they do tend to stick.
I do about the same thing. Wash and dry the potatoes. Cut them half lenthwise and then into wedges and put them in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil (I use vegetable but you can use another type) and mix with hands (best kitchen utensil I own!!) to coat potatoes evenly. In a smaller separate bowl I combine seasonings of choice (whatever I see in the spice cupboard first) like chili powder, taco seasoning, cayenne pepper, steak seasoning, cajun seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc. I give the seasonings a good stir with my index finger and then sprinkle over the potatoes; mix well with hands to coat evenly with spices. Spread evenly on lined baking sheet. Bake at 450F for about 35 minutes or till crispy. Turn over/stir potatoes if needed.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I basically eye ball mine: about four large baking potatoes (sliced into wedges with peels on), a drizzle of olive oil (I'd guess it's around 3 TBSP or so, I never measure) and seasonings: celery salt, a lot of parsley, onion powder, garlic powder. I shake them all together in a large ziplock, and then bake them at 400 for 45 minutes to an hour. I line my cookie sheet with foil and spray it with cooking spray, as they do tend to stick.QUOTE]

I never get that fancy, but your way sounds really yummy. I will have to try that next time.

Katy

·
Registered
814 Posts
I just cut mine into wedges, spray the pan and the tops of the fries with cooking spray (waaaaaaaay less calories that way! You can choose any kind of oil that's a spray) and sprinkle some spicy season-all on top befor baking.

I also cut potato "rounds" really thin and place on a bacon cooker for the microwave with no oil or anything at all for something like... 7-10 minutes (depending on how thick the potatoes are) and dip those in ketchup when they're done (and sprinkle season-all on those too)

MUCH healthier than frying them! YUCK! I don't fry anything in my home.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I basically do the same except I like to sprinkle Emerils Essence on our to make them spicy. They are REALLY YUMMY if you like spicy fries :).

Emerils Essence
5 Tblsp. sweet paprika
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 Tblsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 Tblsp. onion powder
2 Tblsp. cayenne
2 Tblsp. dried oregano
2 Tblsp. dried thyme
Mix together & store in ziploc bag or air tight container.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I basically do the same except I like to sprinkle Emerils Essence on our to make them spicy. They are REALLY YUMMY if you like spicy fries :).

Emerils Essence
5 Tblsp. sweet paprika
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 Tblsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 Tblsp. onion powder
2 Tblsp. cayenne
2 Tblsp. dried oregano
2 Tblsp. dried thyme
Mix together & store in ziploc bag or air tight container.
BAM! :laugh:

I have forgotten how good homemade taters taste! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts