Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son loves these items and I hate all the preservatives. Anyone have any good HM recipes for these?

Sara

·
Registered
916 Posts
Okay Sara, I found these. I am not sure if this is what you want, but it came from

http://snider.mardox.com/kitchen.html

There are some other breakfast bar recipes there, so you might want to take a look.

"Not" Kellogg's Nutrigrain Bars

1 pkg yellow cake mix
3/4 C butter
2 1/2 C quick oats
12 ounces jelly or jam
1 Tbls water

Preheat oven to 375. Melt butter. Combine cake mix and quick oats in large bowl. Add butter and combine until it makes a crumbly mixture.

Measure 1/2 of mixture (aprox 3 cups) into a gerased 9"X13" pan. Press mixture into pan, making it nice and smooth.

Mix water with jam and place on top of the mixture in the 9"X13" pan.

Spread remaining crumb mixture into pan, patting down until top is firm and smooth. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Let cool completly before cutting.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Those sound great for all these blueberrys I have, thanks!
God Bless,
~Michele~

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found this poptart recipe:

HM Poptarts

4 c flour
1 3/4 cups vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 cup cold water
16 tablespoons jam , divided

Cut flour and shortening together with pastry blender or two butter knives, until completely blended (mixture will resemble crumbs). Add sugar, baking powder, salt, egg, vinegar and cold water. Mix with hands until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Divide dough into fourths, refrigerating the portions you are not working with yet.
Take first 1/4 of dough and roll out onto a floured surface. Cut into rectangles using a sharp knife. Spread on tbsp. jam on one half of the rectangles, leaving a half inch or so on the edges without jam. Cover with the other half of the rectangles. Crimp edges with a fork.

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 12 - 15 minutes or until the pie dough is evenly browned and cooked through. Cool completely and place into zip baggies for storage until you are ready to eat them. Repeat with remaining dough and jam until it is all completed. Variation: Glaze poptarts with a simple glaze made from powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Be sure to let glaze dry hard before placing poptarts into storage baggies.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
:bump:

I am searching for Oatmeal breakfast bar recipes.... will start another thread for that, but searched and found this one, which looks good, too!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
How many Poptarts will that recipe yeild? :chef:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.