Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made garden stepping stones at home? I have thought about making some and wondered if anyone else has already and any tips.

Sara

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Sara,

My boys` school made some just before school ended and they are also organizing a family day sept. 7th to make more for the families who missed last time. I`ll inform you how they did it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The rhubarb leaf stones are a beautiful variation! The most common that I've seen are the square ones. You can use a pizza box as a form and wire coat hangers for reinforcement. Once you pour the quickcrete into the form you do any type of design or inlay stones, whatever you like. You have to let it dry for about 48 hrs. before taking it out of the form.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
We did some.... A few tips.... If you are using the concrete with rock in it, make sure you use a large board that fits across the end of your form and a bit more, tap the form to make the wet concrete come to the top and the rock settle in the bottom. This is called "Tamping". If you are making large stones or some that will be stepped on a lot, use wire coat hooks or pieces of them, inbed the wire while the mix is still wet and before Tamping, this will serve as a "Rebar" for your stones. I like to make them with broken pieces of china, make a mosiac, make sure the sharp ends are well into the concrete. You can also put those shaped cake pans in the cupboard to some use. Mosiac stones are very expensive to buy. Have fun with these. Remember too.... Long term exposure to the lye and other ingredients in cement can cause rashing or poisoning, wear glove and wash often.

·
27,948 Posts
:bump: for those who haven't seen & may want to make these stepping stones.They are so pretty!
Hopefully going to make these this year, the rhubarb is growing...:)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
:bump: Bumping this since it is the time of the year for outdoor crafts and these are so pretty. :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've never made them beofer but those rhubarb ones look so pretty that I want to make some NOW! Then maybe I'll make some maple ones... littler ones.... hmmm... what else could I use.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts