Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great way to use up venison burger left in the freezer. This recipe is simple and is my own creation. I intentionally leave out breadcrumbs, etc. to keep the starches down.

Venison Meatballs with Gravy

1 lb. venison burger
1 lb. pork sausage (or plain ground pork, your choice)
2 packets onion soup mix
2 large cans cream of mushroom soup

Mix venison, sausage & 1 packet of onion soup mix together in a large bowl until well blended. Roll into small balls (ping pong ball size) and place on a pan with sides to bake. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20-30 minutes, or until cooked through. Do not let them get over-browned.

In a large bowl, mix the 2 cans cream of mushroom soup with ONE can milk or water to dilute the soup. Add the second packet of onion soup mix and wisk until smooth. Pour the meatballs into a large crock-pot slow cooker and add the soup mixture. Cook on low heat for at least 2 hours or longer. (I let mine go pretty much all day - the flavors blend and it's ready to eat when I get home from work.)

If you make enough of the meatballs, you can definitely freeze them before or after they're cooked. Freezing them after cooking would make it much easier to make a quick meal of them later.

I've never been a venison fan myself, but someone gave me 4 lbs. of burger, and I refused to waste it. This turned out to be a good way to use it up!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts