Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made white bread with my breadmaker yesterday. 85c a 2# loaf not including the price of running the breadmaker! Yeast was the most expensive cost with 33c/packet, 3c flour=27c & about 25c I figured for 2tbsp oil, salt, 1tbsp br sugar. So, tasty, delish bread for 85c compared to ? I don't buy white bread in the stores..but it's gotta be cheaper & tastier! Usually, I do half wheat & half white flour, but, thought I would do all white for a change.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
WOW, that's a wonderful price for flour! What brand do you use? The least expensive unbleached Bread Flour (milled at a local mill) is $2.97/5-pounds, or .44+ cents for 3 c. flour (5# flour = approx. 20 cups flour).

Other ways to bring the price down are to use a sourdough starter (which is made from flour/water) for naturally-leavened bread, or (as you already know) to purchase your yeast in bulk.

My #1 low-cost ingredient is to use freshly-milled flour, plus it's the only way to get all the 25 vitamins, minerals and proteins, as well as the benefit of the fiber from flour. Wheat is generally a fraction of the price of commercial bleached/unbleached flour and MUCH cheaper than commercial whole wheat.

Slight correction: 3 c. of flour doesn't usually equal a 2-pound loaf of bread - that's the amount normally used for 1.5# loaf of bread. Four cups will yield 2-pounds of dough. Scaling the dough will tell you the true amount. I teach bread classes and flour volume and dough weight is one of the things I always teach, as well as the proper pan size for dough amounts.

Even with the odd-ball ingredients I use, I make a recipe of multi-grain bread using 4-3/4 to 5 c. freshly milled wheat flour, 1/2 c. freshly-milled multi-grain cereal (coarsely chopped grain), kefir, chia gel, flaxmeal, coconut oil, agave nectar, 1 egg (or powdered whole egg), 2 t. SAF-Instant Yeast, 1/4 t. ascorbic acid, for around 50-cents for the recipe and it makes 2 regular loaves or 3 small loaves.

But anyway you add it up, we're both beating the prices at the store.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks for the calculation!
You can buy yeast at the bulk store. It is much cheaper than the packets so you could bring the price down even more.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan to buy bulk yeast. Just haven't got there yet. I have a 2# breadmaker. Since the bread rose to the top-I thought it was a 2#loaf. Sure wish I lived beside you, GrainLady, I would take your classes. I bought, @ Xmas, home store flour, 1.69 for 5# and the bag said 18cups. I bought 4 bags and they're in the freezer. Ya know-stocking up! Thanks GrainLady & Grace! :)

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I just bought 20lbs of unbleached flour for $7.99. I watch for sales and get a few. Or when I have plenty of superbucks and get it for free. I go through lots of flour, it has really shrunk my grocery budget.

Here is what the costs were the last time I calculated:(2007)
I went and made bread today. The house smells AWESOME! The recipe makes 10 loaves, but I only have 6 pans..lol. SO, I have 6 loaves of bread, 2.5 dozen buns and 2.5 dozen cinnamon rolls. Store bought bread: 11.34 cinnamon buns: 14.98 buns $5.73 Total: 32.05 Estimated cost to make: eggs: .66 milk: .13 yeast: .05 oil: .24 sugar: .013 Brown sugar $1.00 flour: $1.25(high estimate based on weight and price paid) Cost: 3.46 Savings: 28.59.

I didn't include the cost of the margarine, brownsugar or cinnamon. The maragrine was free. and cinnamon was given by mom who thought she was getting a deal and bought too much..lol, but for the TBSp at the price she paid would be approx. .02

Value, based on 1/2 hour on hands work: 59.18/hour tax free I think that is well worth the effort, not to mention the nutrional value far higher. Plus my 3 yo was in seventh heaven baking with mommy, making it a longer task, on my own, hands on would have been under 15.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't know if this would be helpful to anyone but I am a baker and am able to get flour for approx. $.50/lb for King Arthur Special flour. A loaf that uses milk, butter or margarine (obviously margarine is cheaper but my calculations use butter), and honey come to $.71 for a 2 lb loaf. I get the flour at a foodservice purveyor but if you make alot of bread you can probably get a 50 lb bag from a restaurant or foodservice supply place for cheap. And of course you can get yeast by the 1 lb bag for about $7.00...

I was working at a restaurant where we would order flour for people for cheap because the more the restaurant spends at a particular purveyor, the lower their prices. It may be worth checking out!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Bulk food is a great place to buy yeast. Sams club is good too; the package is large, BUT way cheaper than those individual pkts at the grocery store

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Thanks for the calculations. Unfortunately I have no self control when it comes to fresh baked bread. So I do not make it that often. Have to admit there is a great deal of satisfaction when making your own bread.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Thanks for the calculations. Unfortunately I have no self control when it comes to fresh baked bread. So I do not make it that often. Have to admit there is a great deal of satisfaction when making your own bread.
I used to have to leave the house and go do something in the yard/garden after baking bread to avoid temptation. The worst thing you can do is to cut into it while it's still warm - you'll destroy the crumb. Now I've made so many loaves it's just second nature and I'm not any more tempted by fresh-baked bread than I would be with a loaf from the grocery store. So there may be hope yet.... :chef:

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
For those of us in between making an occasional loaf and buying our materials wholesale, check out the JARS of yeast at the supermarket rather than the packets. At least here, it's much cheaper per unit!

Judi

·
Registered
112 Posts
For those of us in between making an occasional loaf and buying our materials wholesale, check out the JARS of yeast at the supermarket rather than the packets. At least here, it's much cheaper per unit!

Judi
I was JUST going to post this! I am trying to remember the price of the last Fleischmann's jar I bought - perhaps $1.75 after a coupon? While it still is more expensive than buying yeast wholesale online or through your local Co-op, it's a good alternative...and right now there is a .45 cent coupon for Fleischmann's products - Tripled makes the yeast a good price!

·
Registered
7 Posts
the jars of fleischmanns say for bread machines, i bake w/o the machine (ok, i'm old school), i would imagine it's all the same no?

i have hesitated to purchase it since i dont' use a machine for bread making.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
the jars of fleischmanns say for bread machines, i bake w/o the machine (ok, i'm old school), i would imagine it's all the same no?

i have hesitated to purchase it since i dont' use a machine for bread making.
I just posted quite a bit of yeast information in Question & Answer - the thread entitled - Bread dough not rising - post #5.

Bread dough not rising - Frugal Village Forums

Hopefully, my "yeast 101" will be helpful.

Fleischmann's also carries jars of Active Dry Yeast, and Bread Machine Yeast isn't the same, as you'll read.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I make all my bread and I have for over 20 years. but I make sourdough.It is less expensive and we love the flavor. I do buns as well as loaves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts