Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, me and thinkin are a dangerous combo, but gosh darn it I jest can't help it!
OK, so last week I did great with the coupons. I got $94 worth of stuff for $36.
Now what I was thinkin about was, how frugal was that really?
All the food was processed, and is all gone now. It gave us little nutrition, and most of the frozen "meals" had to be stretched (ever try to feed 2 teens, and a dh on 12 mini casadeas?) so to use it up, I had to use many of the items together. Plus I did make beans for almost each meal (I love beans and rice but dh and boys do not)
For the same $36 I could have gotten veggies, some meat perhaps, but there are no coupons for those out here.
Some of the things I got were great deals, the 12 pk of tp for .50c for example.
It reminded me of what Amy says in the TWG, coupon use may not be as frugal as we think, if we use them to get things we do not need and normally would not have bought.
I got to thinkin on it, I usually have $40 or so for groceries, and no coupons and we last longer on what I buy that way than we did with the coupon foods.
Anyone else notice that too?

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I have noticed that at times to Mel. I notice they put more coupons out for "convience" type foods than healthy foods. I wish they would give coupons for meat. I would love that!!!:D :D

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I also have noticed that...I live in an area that does not double coupons so I do not get the great deals some do....I've found that even with most of the coupons the items are still to expensive or things I just do not use.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I notice that also. It's why I've stopped buying frozen tv dinners completely. I RARELY will buy crackers/chips or cookies.

But your point is also why I get multiples of coupons. That way I can get multiples of the 'good' coupons. Ones for cheese, yogurt, bread, fresh produce, chicken, beef, milk, salad dressing, gardenburgers, organic foods and so on.

We do have some junk food lying around but nothing overboard. Just enough to keep us happy :D

·
27,948 Posts
Lotsa deep thinking going on here in the village as of late. Good stuff! Lots of times we may save money in the short run but pay for it later. Maybe with our health, useless calories and low nutrients. Gotta have balance. Money isn't everything.;)

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
That is one reason I may not use many coupons when I shop. Most of the time they are for things I don't buy or don't use. Then there are other times that I can use some... I always have to look closely.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Yes I have noticed this recently on one of my trips and was thinking the same thing-I ended up with alot of conv. foods that I normally do not buy. The kids thought everything was a great treat, but it was all gone shortly and they then wondered where all the groceries had gone :bang: LOL

I have stopped using as many coupons as I once did. Now I mainly use them for HBA stuff, if I can get it for almost free etc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts