Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya Everyone! :swave:

I noticed there wasn't a new post for this year... I know I am not the only one hiding gifts in every crack of the house :laugh:

Since we are remodeling the ENTIRE house this year, I decided to try to keep the gift budget small but the gifts plentiful.

What have you already put away... what are you planning on making... what things are you waiting to buy?

I will post my list in a bit... too many peeking eyes

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
-kids - I'm turning a bookshelf(garage sale $5)into a barbie house for one daughter, I have some leftover contavt paper and a big bag of barbie furniture($5) and I'll be starting a crocheted afghan for the other daughter($15). I haven't decided on the boys xmas morning present yet. I have camp blankets started for all the kids xmas eve gift($4 for each), and I've got their ornaments for dutch xmas gift on the 6th($0.50 for each).
Stockings are about 1/3 done

-my brother - almost finished plastic canvas chess coasters(was given free materials), 2 beer mugs and 2 shot glasses($1 for each), dh will pick a bottle of something up closer to xmas

-my mom - snowman cookie jar($2, clearance), I'll fill it with bath stuff

-we are going to get family pictures done in August or September and great grandma will get a framed picture

-rob's dad will get a framed picture and some sugar free baking and candies

I'm almost half done. Dh thinks I'm insane.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Ohhhh my I am so glad I found this thread. I thought I was insane for starting christmas so early.:winter:

I have started crocheting for christmas. Three pairs of mittens made with yarn I found at the thrift store and a christmas tree skirt I got for .75 that has to be finished. I am not sure who I will give that to. So far I have spent 3.00 on four gifts for christmas. Not bad.

JulieB

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I haven't started Xmas shopping yet that's because I usually get my stuff at flea markets or yard sales and there havent been any yet this year because of this wacky weather but here's what I have in mind:

Mom : She loves bath products and candles

DD: Hair stuff, makeup, lotions, shower gels, clothes

DSDaughter's: Bath and Body Products (atleast for 2 of the 4)

DSDad: Something with wizards or dragons

DH: Gonna try to swap a GC to Home Depot or Lowes

DS: He's hard, he will be off at college so I have to think about what he might need come Xmas time.

That's all I can think of right now but I know once I hit the yard sales, ideas will come to mind :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I usually start saving and getting ideas at this time. I always on the look-out for things

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
So far I have these:

Niece..Small Bubble Gum Machine (JCpenny clearance $9.99)
Nephews..Each a Small Bubble Gum Machine (JCpenny clearance $9.99)
Nephews.. (8)Old Navy Sweatshirts(Clearance $1.50 a piece)
MIL..A Robe..(JCpenny Clearance $20.00)
MIL..Slippers ( Sears Clearance $1.99)
SIL #1..Slippers ( Sears Clearance $1.99)
SIL#2..Slippers ( Sears Clearance $1.99)

Oldest Son...
2 pairs Flannel PJ Pants(JCpenny Clearance $5.99)
1 pair Slippers (JCpenny Clearance $5.99)

Youngest Son..
Large BubbleGum Machine (JCpenny Clearance $12.99)

Thats it so far..Will make homemade gifts just not sure what I'm gonna make?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
DS: He's hard, he will be off at college so I have to think about what he might need come Xmas time.

QUOTE]
my advice is to wait and send him some food stuff. dorm life = hungry! and change for the laundry.

i have not started buying yet but heres my thinking

DS: a bike i see them at the thrift store from time to time for like $5 so i keep my eye out for a good one

aunts: reuable shopping bags that i will make with scrap fabric and remnants purchased with my joanns coupons

family children: i usually give some craft or science project stuff

still working on DH my grandmother and my mom

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Danni- I love the idea of Barbie playhouse from a bookcase!

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Here's what I have to cover (or already have):

Mom's Stocking - nearly done...just need to make some crocheted dishrags (already have the yarn)

Dh's Stocking - not even started...will get beef jerky, toiletries, and maybe a few "fun" things??

MIL/FIL - am going to trade in a bunch of books we have for book credit at the used book store...they both are AVID readers and love that place. Have the books all ready to take in...just waiting to combine that trip with other errands on that side of town. :)

Goddaughter #1 - she looooooves pre-school, so want to get her some school supplies and learning books; will pick things up when the "back to school sales" are on.

Goddaughter #2 - still trying to decide...she's changing so much lately I think I'll wait until fall-time to gauge what she'd really like.

Goddaughter #3 - she'll be 6 months old then...so...probably something that says "First Christmas"...and a pack of diapers. :D

Dh Gift - the computer game of his choice (a standard in our home) ;)

Probably about another $100 for gift expenses...

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I posted to this thread already but it got me motivated to get started, as of now I have 2 Christmas presents and hopefully if the weather isnt too cold I can get more this weekend at the flea market. :)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
still thinking. i'd like to crochet what i can. i've done gift baskets in the past for my sis and mom. one year it was bath stuff, another year it was food. might do smaller baskets and put in some of the stuff from both they really liked.
inlaws get gift cards to eat out.
neice and nephew- i'll look for clearnace toys as the year goes on.
my kids- gotta think of something to crochet them, then books, some sort of toy, and their stockings

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
*for the boys started ( 2 bed spreads) to get blue jean material to make squares and oldest fav. ripped shirts for splash of color.
*hubby im looking for anything wrestling--its so hard beacuse all the deals i find he's always with me, so he gets himself lol
*started 1 xmas blanket knitted dk red and dk green for our friends youngest daughter, crocheting a blanket for oldest daughter( both with names embroidered on )
*For friends( her ILl make something with santa or snowman for him something for his puter or cologne)
*For inlaws( or outlaws) lol--not sure yet changed my mine so many times
*for nephews i just give movie cards(amount is taken off or they can put more on, reloadable ones)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i forgot i have a book for my neice and my nephew. i got them after christmas for a couple of bucks at b&n. so i have a start for them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This thread got me so motivated I made an excel spreadsheet of all the people we need to buy for this Christmas with a column for suggestions/ideas, what we've got already for the person, etc. And a column to check when done. :)

That seemed to work so well I set it up for year-round...all bdays, mother's and father's days, etc. Now I know exactly what I have already, ideas for gifts for each person, etc.

And to keep it frugal I want to make most of the gifts from craft supplies we already have.

So, now I see how much crocheting I have to do and that I better get started!!

hahahahaha

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i think everyone is going to get an afghan. inlaws will still get their gift cards since fil will be getting an agfhan for his birthday.
kids will also get toys and books, but adults will get afghans. gotta get crocheting!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
*for the boys started ( 2 bed spreads) to get blue jean material to make squares and oldest fav. ripped shirts for splash of color.
LOL ...I've started ripping down bluejeans that have served their time and stiching them up like a quilt (need 2 one for each son). It seemed such a shame to just rip them up for rags and after they'd been threw both boys they're generally unwearable. I think they'll be done for this Christmas, If not I'll keep working on them for next year.

I have some books for my mom that I got at yardsales or thriftstores.

Snowman salt and pepper shaker set for my SIL. (regift- she loves snowmen)

awesome socks for my grandmother whose feet are always cold (winter e at Wal-Mart )

slipper socks for my aunt (winter clearence at Wal-Mart)

2 reciepe binders started

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Seems the blue jean recyclers are hard at work. Here in Bradenton our Freecycle list has had several postings for folks looking for jeans for just that purpose. Lucky for me I get jeans on almost a daily basis and can turn them around fast.

As far as my gift gathering goes I've got an old wicker landry basket in my office just for that purpose.

For grandma: Stationary, will buy a roll of stmaps at Christmas time, giftcard to local used bookstore
For Dad : Gonna give him a check as he's taking Mom on a crusie for their 50th Wedding Ann. in January.
For Mom: The same as Dad
For Sisters: I do gift baskets. Have done baskets so long I get the emtpy ones back in January so they can be refilled. Usually each sis will breing it over with a bottle of wine in it. Its too funny.
For Brother in laws: Home Depot and Lowes Certificates
For Nieces and Newphews: Gift cards for gas, carwashes, tune ups and oil changes. A bucket with car care items like windex, moist wipes, jumper cables, etc.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
254 Posts
This year I am going to plan frist. Try to get some ideas. I know that when I gave my brother a scrapbook this past christmas. Everyone seemed to fall in love with it. So i think that it what I am going to try for this year. But I will have to ask everyone for some pictures. One sis loves frogs. There are a couple of places here that sells frog stuff. So I am going to look out for sales. It seems like female in my family loves stuff eaither bath and body or candles. Well I am also going to look for as many sales as I can. PLus what my mil dose is have an auction between thanksgiving and christmas. Which this auctions is just for us. It is a great way to get things for other family members for real cheap. The best part about it all the stuff that we buy really dosen't caost anyone of us anything.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
got two small toy trucks for Jamies stocking, cost 50c for the 2!

Im going to start making a list of what I have, I have a few things already but some of them will go for birthday gifts throughout the year

·
Registered
713 Posts
2 ideas I have had so far: weaving potholders (made them several years ago, they work really well, just have to figure it out again LOL) and giving framed copies of fave family photos (whew, say that 5 times fast). I need to look at the photos and see what my options are.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts