Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at shoprite yesterday doing my weekly thing. As i have stated my dh and ds are big eaters and I find that roasts end up being cheaper than alot of other meals . Well Im always looking for something different to make for Sunday dinner and I spot the Legs of lamb havent made one in a long time and dh loves it. Well I pick it up and couldnt believe my eyes it was around 7 pounds I would use the bone for soup it cost 63.45 . I nearly dropped it lol are they kidding who is gonna pay that for a roast? The lady standing next to me said "you need a mortgage to buy that " Dont know what this world is coming to things are really insane out there. I guess the days of having big sunday dinners are ending Oh well theres always pasta and Im italian so that works

Reactions: Booklover

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
I haven't bought lamb for years - it's just too expensive. The sad thing is I really got to like when I was living in Toronto years ago. There was always lots of New Zealand lamb and for a while it was cheaper than chicken. Now you've made me really hungry for a good lamb stew! But, to quote an old friend, wantin' ain't gettin'.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Lamb is always expensive here. I wait until it gets marked down because nobody has bought it, and pick it up half price. I get chops and patties this way (ground meat).

Reactions: Lora88

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I bought a whole lamb and it came out to about 9 a pound and I thought that was high...sigh but I have to get it that way as I want grass fed and am allergic to a preservative they use to package it. Buying from the farmer and choosing the butcher I tell them no additives when they process which in turns equals me being able to eat it without getting sick.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i love a good lamb leg roast. my dh has a great recipe for it. alas, we haven't had it in such a long time. too pricey for me too. blah!!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bought some lamb at Aldi's a couple of years ago. They have never had it again, because it just doesn't go over in this area. I waited until they marked it down to get rid of it, and honestly, I freezer was as full as when they put it out. No one was buying-even with it marked down.

I made it, and we all liked it. It was the first time my husband had ever had lamb. I need more recipes, though. I was warned it would have a "wooly" taste, but I didn't think so.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm odd woman out here. I have never had lamb. I have never seen it in our local grocery stores.

Reactions: mhope

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Today I scoured the meat section at the supermarket. Only thing I came up with was some turkey legs (small ones) on Manager's Special. So I will be roasting them up with some veggies for Thanksgiving with friends. Can't afford a whole turkey this year.

I would never pay that much for a roast.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Today I scoured the meat section at the supermarket. Only thing I came up with was some turkey legs (small ones) on Manager's Special. So I will be roasting them up with some veggies for Thanksgiving with friends. Can't afford a whole turkey this year.

I would never pay that much for a roast.
I always do turkey legs for Thanksgiving, they're easier and we like dark meat. Once it's sliced and on the plate, you'd never know it was just the leg.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Leg of Lamb is my favorite food, but we haven't bought it in several years, due to the high cost. I think we paid $40 for it last time. It was a splurge and before the recession and our high debt load made it too extravagant. :(

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
It is super expensive here, pot roasts, steaks are a treat for my family because meat is so expensive you have to morgage your house or get a second job

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
We've had lamb here, but I find it very fatty, so don't buy it anymore. A one pound roast will run $28 and if you are lucky to buy from the rancher, maybe $15.

I made a surprising find this past weekend...the butcher's is the same price, if not cheaper, than the supermarket! So we bought there. Better meat too. :) I'm sold. Will talk to them about buying meat packages for the freezer.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You won't find leg of lamb out this way unless it's special order from the butcher. You can however find lamb chops at a price that I swear would make your brain implode.

Actually putting any roast on the table would be very expensive. Even pork roast which is the most reasonably priced type of roast (meat) would be a pretty penny. Hams are ridiculously high, last one I priced was about $40 and it was super small. Saw a turkey at the grocery that they were asking $65 for, crazy! I have to wonder what it will look like come the holidays. I'm hoping turkey prices go way down. Whole roasted chicken is the most economical of any of the roasts, but still pricey if you are feeding good eaters. My guys can wipe out 2 fat hens, picking the bones clean in 1 supper. I've not bought a piece of meat to roast and serve on a platter in so long that I can't honestly remember. Cooking and serving a 1 pound roast would never fly here. I actually sneak when I roast anything, so I can separate and bag up for meals. If I did it when they were home they'd be like Tasmanian Devils tearing through it leaving me the carcass in their wake. Meat/poultry prices are just way too high to allow that.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A 4lb roast beef will be dinner and two lunches with alittle left for the dogs As for lamb chops my personal favorite they run around 13.99 a pound for the rib they are about 2 bites each my husband could easily eat 6 or more so never get them I remember when leg of lamb was about 3.99 apound on sale 2.99 I would buy it then as i got a couple of dinners and soup out of it but not now I roam the stores picking up meat and putting it down getting very hard to plan dinner as dh and ds are big meat eaters

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
:hugz: I've done the picking up and putting down thing myself.

What's working at this point is that I fake meat. Something like the poor man's steak recipe. Have you ever heard of it? It's where you add lots of bread crumbs, eggs, seasonings like steak sauce & liquid smoke and shape it into a steak. :laugh: You serve it like steak with a baked potato and salad, extra steak sauce on the side.

Or this recipe

Poor Man’s Steak | Kate Palmer

I add mashed beans, bread crumbs, ground up oatmeal, spices, cheeses, steak sauce, BBQ sauce, liquid smoke, better than bouillon beef flavor for beef. I use half ground beef, half turkey or chicken. I can get chicken or turkey chubs at the thrift outlet for 99 cents a pound. I can take 1 pound of meat and add so much stuff to it it comes out to a 3 lb meatloaf. If you add mashed beans you've got to be careful not to push it too far or the consistency will not give the right mouth feel. I do the same for meatballs a lot of times too.

Sometimes I make it Mexican flavored and roll into logs and then wrap the logs in tortillas and then fry like Chimichangas. I serve with yellow rice and beans. Hot sauce on the table. Or I make the logs smaller and roll in corn shells, keeping the ends open, securing with a toothpick, then pan frying. Taquitos. :)

Poultry seasoning for chicken, Better than bouillon (chicken flavor) soft bread bread crumbs, white sauce, chickpeas (mashed). Roll in dry bread crumbs, and I either make croquettes or chicken cutlets to go in kaiser rolls, or with mashed potatoes and gravy. If I make croquettes, the filling is softer and I serve with creamed peas and mashed potatoes. For chicken cutlets the filling is much stiffer.

I'm working on fake crab cakes now, I haven't perfected it yet, but I will. :) My DH misses seafood something crazy.

Other than that I use ground poultry in soups, or cream sauces over noodles. That I don't stretch out as it fills up the entire pot full in crumbles. That is unless I make meatball soup, then I stretch the meat.

A lot of times I make stuffed meat. I'll take a boneless chicken breast and pound it flat, really flat so it gets really big. Then I fill it thickly with bread stuffing, rice stuffing, or PA Dutch potato filling and roll up and bake under a cream of soup. I add potatoes and carrots to the roasting pan. I do the same with pork too. I like to make apple stuffing and roast with sweet potatoes & carrots, drizzled with a cinnamon spiced brown sugar syrup over top of it all. When done I slice like a pinwheel and put on a serving platter with the roast vegetables, cover with pan gravy.

I buy meat and poultry in pieces, I just can NEVER let my DH see a whole piece of meat in the fridge. He'll be asking for it roasted, or if he sees it and then it disappears, he wants to know where it went, and when I tell him I cooked it and separated it into meals he'll pout and say, darn! I was really looking forward to that. :(

Wishing you the best Lora :hugz:

·
Registered
271 Posts
The cheapest I ever bought lamb was a leg around Easter two years ago for 3.99 a lb. I haven't seen it that cheap since. I do love lamb though.

I am playing with the idea of buying a goose for Christmas, but they are very pricey. Wal-Mart has them for $5.99 a lb, but the weight of most of the geese is between 10-15lbs, so wow.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Leg of lamb here is around $50 so .I buy pork roast on sale every 6 weeks at out local store all meat is from local farmers. Paid $1.69 a pound . I always buy 3 at a time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts