Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 608 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ladies (and gents) Back in December I talked about starting a new Decorating Challenge. At the time I was thinking more along the lines of "Total Room Make-overs". Not a bad idea, but really wouldn't apply to everyone MOST of the time.

Well, instead, I was thinking of doing something like a "Decorating on a Shoe-String" challenge, setting it up on a weekly basis, so anyone willing to join in that particular week could easily do so.

So for the 1st week, and because we're all putting Old Man Winter :sleepy: behind us, I thought that maybe our 1st challenge could be that we re-do our dining or kitchen tables. Ya know, brighten things up a little. Most of us do that anyway, and most of us already own the things we would use. So it doesn't necessarily have to cost a thin dime. We all love pictures, and you don't have to post any, but they're certainly welcome. Whatcha think girls?

I also thought of doing before/after challenges, trash to treasure, furniture rearrangement, and even small garden challenges :clover:. But that's not quite enough :dunce:, and that's where I need some ideas from all of you gals. :scratch: PollyPurebread mentioned in another post about getting that spring time decorating bug, I'm hoping that alot of us are "feeling" it too, (i am) and we could have some fun with it too!

Sooo, I'd love to know how many really would enjoy something like this? And remember too, that ideas for weekly challenges with frugality in mind would be welcome with open arms. (please) :) We can also do Total Room Make-Overs as an on-going thing, and we could post them at any time thru the challenge. I thought a Rate My Space kinda thing would be fun too. Ya think?

Hope to see alot of you agree! I think it'll be fun for us, and we'll be sprucing the house up to!!

Theresa :)

MODERATORS-if this is in the wrong category, can you please move it for me? thank you!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think it's a great idea! There's nothing like a new look on the cheap! I always love to read and see some of the great ideas that people have. It's amazing to see someone's imagination at work!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's a great idea! There's nothing like a new look on the cheap! I always love to read and see some of the great ideas that people have. It's amazing to see someone's imagination at work!
I'm hoping that others will feel the same. I love decorating and I also love seeing what everyone else is doing. It's a great inspiration, especially after being in a long rut. Change is good, and challenge to change is even better! :vibes:

We'll wait and see how this idea takes off!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
sounds good to me ~ I'd like a "clean the kitchen table & keep it clean" challenge ~ ROFL!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'm throwing my hat in the ring! Dining room table makeover it is! Hmmmm.....Where to start? I did get a new tablecloth from Goodwill a few weeks back. I'd say clearing off the table would be a good start (not much on there, but It needs to be cleared off) And a good scrub of the table and chairs with Murphys oil soap is in order.

I'll check back in later and let you know of my progress.

Reactions: mamamia

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Off to IKEA today, I wonder what decorating goodies I will find?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Dh just painted fr and will do kitchen as it is connected to fr. I NEED DESPERSTELY to clean off my kitchen table. Sons have moved out and I clean it off and start working on something and fill it up again. I also need to clean my kitchen table with furniture cleaner I got from Art Van and will find some flowers in the basement to put in a vase to spring up the kitchen. I'm going to try my hand at making a roman shade too.

Love Ikea Polly; problem is its not really close to me. Prices are great.

Pam

PS Bumplett I have to same issue with kitchen table.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I'm throwing my hat in the ring! Dining room table makeover it is! Hmmmm.....Where to start? I did get a new tablecloth from Goodwill a few weeks back. I'd say clearing off the table would be a good start (not much on there, but It needs to be cleared off) And a good scrub of the table and chairs with Murphys oil soap is in order.
I'll check back in later and let you know of my progress.
that sounds like an excellent idea. I think I'll do the same this month.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
So what are you saying, I have to take the tinsel garland off my ceiling fan now?

My dining/kitchen table is always cleared off. It has too pretty of wood to hide. I don't do table cloths for that reason but I'll put out my Easter decorations.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Done and done. I'm into simplicity. I have a thing for those duck-bunnies.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
CraftyPam- It will be going in my closet/dressing room. It's my DS1's old bedroom, very small. He moved down to the basement where there's lots of room.

bumplett, I LOVE IKEA! So many neat things at great prices. this was part of my Christmas money, I've been holding out to get this. I've never shopped at Pier 1 but I've seen commercials, looks like a place I'd love!

krbshappy71, LOL!!!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Bumplet, Awww so sweet! I love Easter!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
YAY a picture! :cheergrl: Thanks Bumplett. I love, love, love it :jabber:

And Polly, I love your mini, and I did get to see it in person when I went to Ikea a few months ago and almost bought it too. My 17 YO found one in Lowes that she liked a little more, but it's very similar. Can't wait to get it. :) I love you little dressing room idea too. Now you know of course that you MUST post pics for us, right? I know I'm dying of curiosity, so pretty sure the rest of us are too!....sorry, but you stepped right into that one hahaha!

Now Pier One is full of Eye Candy, but rough on the wallet. Some of the clearance is ok, but all the ones I've been in were disappointingly small :(

I have to tell you ladies that I was thrilled to log back on and see so many wanting to join in. I was just about to let it go because there was only about 2 responses, and it woulda been hard to have much fun with only 3 people on board. So welcome ladies, to what I hope will be a fun challenge! :grball:

Now remember, we need new ideas all the time, so get those thinking caps on...lol! And did I mention how much we all love to see the pics? (thanks again bumplett :)) I'm going to post some tomorrow, with a little, no make that ALOT of help....LOL!

Remember too, frugalality is great, but the challenge doesn't "have to" revolve around that theme. If you splurged on a $200 centepiece, show it off right here! We'd love to see it. And, if you hit the SA and found that same $200 centepiece for $5, you better make sure you're showing iy off to us....LOL

So off we go ladies :) Our homes are gonna be looking great in no time!! I'm petty excited about all this! I actually feel alive again! :cheergrl:

Theresa :queen2:

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am so in on this one. I need to sand and stain my table and chairs and I am going to have to think about what kind of centerpiece I want to scrounge for around my house. Hmm. I am going to start sanding tomorrow. Might take me a while because my sander died last summer. Thats ok, my arms need a good workout. lol I will take before and after pics to post when I am done.

·
8,714 Posts
~I'll join you. I've been cleaning like crazy lately so my table looks pretty awesome right except underneath. The legs could use a good wipe down. My dd picked all our daffodils and put them in a cup of water on the table so that looks very pretty. :D I bought a vintage light fixture at a yard sale last year and haven't installed it yet. Maybe I'll try to get that done this weekend. The problem with the new fixture is that it uses two standard bulbs and I'm replacing a 3 floodlight tracklight. I'm just not sure if it will be bright enough for the space. I guess I'll try and see. Pictures will be added later!~

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow! It sounds like everybody's working pretty hard out there. Militlady, you're taking on a big project there, but that is excellent to be able to make old things new again! And nothing like shopping in your own house to find new life for something old too!. You too CraftyPam. Hope you unearth a goodie from your basement. :flowers: I love that kinda creativity, kwim? Can't wait for your before and afters militlady.

And Nuisance, I'll be looking forward to seeing your pics too. I'm waiting for my picture helper to get home so I can post mine!

And krbshappy, thanks for the laugh on your tinsel decor. :):reind2: I couldn't believe it when I was out w/hubby the other night, and we drove past a house with a yard full of X-mas stuff, and I mean LOTS, all lit up no less...lol! This was in one of those million dollar real-estate areas too {shrug} Oh well!

This is so much fun! I needed this little "kick" to get motivated. This challenge is working for me :)

Theresa :wave2:

1 - 20 of 608 Posts