Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else love being handy/creative around the house and garden?? I come up with building plans and DH executes them. I decided to to a bunch of trash to treasure improvements and such. I like turning a forgotten space in the yard to a nice focal point for us to enjoy. ANd It's always a great feeling for me to turn some forgotten-relegated to the trash heap piece of furniture into a great useful new piece. I have done it with dressers, lamps, and so on. I have turned a yard that used to be a packed dirt wasteland into several different gardens (flowering to vegetable), quiet oasises, and bubbling fountains. I love this kind of stuff. Anyone else??

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
We have a tropical paradise. DH is the planter and I'm the planner. We've installed sidewalks so our friends in wheelchairs can come over and enjoy the parties too. From our front driveway which has been enlarged 2 times to the ponds, gazebo and tiki bars we are the island get away. We have 4 parties a year that are all day affairs. They start in the am with the garden clubs and end in the evening with friends and neighbors. When you drive by on the street everything is hidden from view by fences covered in a variety of vines from blue jade on the front to mexican flame and wistra down the side. When we bought this house 12 years ago there was 2 palm trees and a dirt track. You'd never know it now. We have almost no grass all mulched beds, concrete pads and sidewalks. We recycled 2 large wire satilite dishes into gazebos which we mount our orchid collection in. Have an outside bamboo wrapped bar and a rolling bar on the back porch. Bamboo fencing made a great ceiling cover on the back porch and assorted island accents set the mood. Will see if I can load up some photos. 90% of our yard art items have come from trash piles like the pink bedette founatin and wicker hanging swings. Plants have been recused from construction sites, trash piles and public dumps.

LAurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
oh, I'd love to see pics from both of your yards ! :D

I try - really, I try - and despite the devil puppy that destroys the back yard, I will try again this spring!

I am known to stop at any house/business that is planned to be torn down to rebuild the bigger & better neighborhoods, etc.... and I will dig up EVERYTHING that I can find - I figure, even if I can't save it, at least I tried.

I have BIG plans for the backyard this year! - I can't wait to get started!

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Love working in the yard. I have plans in my head that I have not executed yet. Unfortunately it gets very uncomfortable outside here around July, August, and September. The heat is often unbearable.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I love fixing furniture and re-purposing items around the house. We've had several big projects here recently.

I'm not as much on the gardening. I should do more but it just doesn't occur to me. My grandpa is trying to make me better at it (he's an amazing gardener), but so far it hasn't quite "taken". ;)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i would love to be more into gardening and i think i will try harder this year. i love doing improvements to the house we bought a fixer-upper and it is my great joy to take people around the house and show them everything we have fixed and where we salvaged it from. (im hoping to do the kitchen backsplash with champagne corks) we also have a yard that could desperately use some love so that will be the focus for spring and summer redoing the driveway adding a nice fence and planting something that wont require alot of attention lol. then once we have saved we will do the bathroom

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ladies, you sound like kindred spirits to me!! My favorite Valentine's Day gift ever was a compound miter saw!! Followed closely by a new huge electric meter box. I love to remodel and do most of the work, all of the painting and decorating. My yard is not fancy, but it sure blooms all spring and summer and early fall. I'm planning my next project--redoing th e flowerbed across the front of my house. We had it re-sided and new windows installed a year and a half ago and the beds were ruined. (I also primed and painted the entire house last summer--no help from DH.) I'm thinking about how to "fix" the kitchen next. :cloud9:

·
Registered
70 Posts
My project this winter is building my own flower boxes for the house. I have 2/5 done. I love finding furniture "trash" in front of people's houses and turning into something useful. My best find was turning a table into a bench to put in my garden.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I love fixing up my home and gardening. I make the plans and then dh and I do the work together. I do most of the gardening though. I start almost all of my plants from seed or cuttings, because I love to see something come from almost nothing. Me and dd3 already have our indoor greenhouses started, the only problem is watching them grow is making me want spring really bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts