Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've been doing this for my dd- and I can't believe how easy and cheap it is! So far, the only thing she doesn't like is green beans. My SIL had given me a book after I had ds, but he was out of the baby food stage by then. But now I'm getting use out of it. I just freeze everything in ice cube trays and then transfer the cubes into ziplock bags.

Laura

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Thanks Sara!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sara: Do you have the book Feed Me I'm Yours by Vicki Lansky? I had that when my children were small, and I absolutely loved it! Doesn't it feel good to know how well your children are eating?

yolo

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi yolo. :)
No I don't have any books. We're just starting out. She's bf and is just starting cereal and I've tried a couple of fruits and a couple of veggies.
I am excited to be doing homemade baby foods though.
I'll look for that book.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sara: One of the things I loved about this book is that it not only had how to make baby food, but it has graduating to toddler food, homemade teething biscuits, bagels, etc. It also has craft ideas for children, Silly Putty, paste, fingerpaint, etc. It has ideas for summer, winter, spring, fall, I just can't say enough about this book. I still have my copy. I just bought the updated copy for a teacher at the school I work at. She loved it. Sometimes the book can be bought with a baby food grinder, but I bought only the book. I hope you can find this book, as it is wonderful. And congratulations for caring so much for your children that you are willing to give them the best. My sister-in-law thought I was crazy to make babyfood when you could buy it already made, and she still thinks I am crazy for cooking and baking so much from scratch. But, I just smile and know that my family is eating well.

yolo

·
Registered
948 Posts
Sara & Laura,

My ds is 4 months old, and will be starting rice cereal soon. I'm interested in doing homemade baby food and have the Super Baby Food book and have checked out some others from the library. Can you give me a realistic idea of the time needed to do food preparation? I do plan on freezing in ice cube trays.

Thanks for the info.!

Wendy

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just make it part of your after dinner clean up routine. I would cook for the family and leave some out unseasoned to cool while we ate. Then, while the table was getting cleared pop it into the food processer, load it into a tray and pop it in the freezer. The food processer gets cleaned with the rest of the dishes and either before I went to bed or in the morning I would just pop the cubes into a ziploc bag (from the box in the drawer next to the fridge). If you want to do fruits, you could prep them so that they simmer while you're eating. The rest is the same as the veggies. Hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts