Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
On another list I'm on, there was a discussion about frugality, and someone shared this recipe for homemade body wash. I wanted to share it, but was also wondering if anyone here made their own body wash, and how they make it.
Tracy Q.

Homemade Body Wash​

1 cup of Suave (whichever one smells best to you)
Amazon.com: SUAVE SHAMPOO WATERFALL MIST 15 OZ: Health & Personal [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21SKJ1ccT%[email protected]@[email protected]@21SKJ1ccT%2BL

½ cup water

3 tablespoons table salt or epsom salt
Amazon.com: Rite Aid Epsom Salt 64 oz (1.8 kg): Health & Personal [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@217NGK5796L

Combine all the ingredients together and whisk it until it's kind of frothy. Pour into a recycled liquid soap container and voila! you have instant body wash at a fraction of the cost!

·
Registered
525 Posts
thx for sharing. i have done stuff similar to that cuz after all shampoo is a thicker soap..sometimes. it should work with any shampoo u like.i also do this when u have a small bit of shampoo add some water or carbonated soda like a seltza and u weither have a bit more sudzy shampoo or a nice new body wash...w/o the soda for the wash.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I wonder if you can add baby oil/vegetable oil to make it moisturizing?

Reactions: EarthIncentives

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll have to mix-up a batch and see if it works in a pump foam dispenser. Using a foam dispenser will make it go even farther because it's diluted with water.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Oh Thank you so much. I will be trying this one for sure. My teenager uses sooooooooooo much body soap. Its a constant battle with her.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We can do it!

I guess it comes down to buying the cheapest shampoo, diluting it with water and adding salt??? to make body wash, and maybe adding some baby oil or olive oil to make it more moisturizing, and putting it in a pump bottle.:ponder:
Right now, I think the Herbal Essences shampoo is the thickest, richest, best-smelling liquid-soap substance; and when bought with a FPC or with sales/coupons, it can be free or $1 per bottle, plus tax, so I'm going to try some of it to make a body wash, and see how things go.
I've also thought of shaving some bar soap with soap scraps, mixing it all with water, let it sit till soft, and then heating it up in a pot till it's melted, then adding some shampoo, and making a body wash with that.

I didn't know that salt was needed in the recipe. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I also make body scrub using a similar recipe... table salt (I used about 1/4 cup per treatment) with enough cheap shampoo to make a paste. Apply paste to dry parts and rinse. Excellent to use on feet (heels and ankles), knees, elbows...where ever you have dry skin. I WOULD NOT recommend this for the face...the salt is too harsh. If you want to try a facial scrub, substitute granulated sugar for the salt. Just make sure the first time you use it, you are gentle to make sure your skin can tolerate it since some skin can be sensitive.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oooooh I can't wait to try this. Thank you for sharing.

ETA: Ok I just made it using Suave Kiwi Lime Squeeze, epsom salt, & 1 tbs. of SSS Bath Oil. I will give this a try tomorrow evening and post my results here.

·
19,119 Posts
oh I am so glad that this thread popped up again - times are getting tighter so I will definitely do this great idea!! Mahalo again!!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
This is an awesome idea - thanks for sharing it! I love the smell of some of the Suave shampoos but they're a bit too drying on my hair....this way I can still enjoy them and have some inexpensive body washes to boot! :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We've tried this now a couple of times. I bought VO5 shampoo (it was the one on sale). I do think you have to be careful not to dilute too much. I did that to try to save more $$$, and it was way too runny. We use it up faster that way, and it's not as easy to use, so I'm going to just make it the way I have the recipe for because it'll be better.

Yesterday, while shopping at my local grocery store, they had V05 shampoo for 49 CENTS a bottle! I stocked up and bought 4 of them, so our bodywash for the next few months will be very inexpensive!!! :)

Tracy Q.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My friend got a case of Suave and doesn't use it. I thought of this homemade body wash recipe that you posted. ~~woo hoo~~

Reactions: Trishagirl
1 - 20 of 44 Posts