Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by NVMommy's bath salts, and needing something for the males in my family, I found a recipe for homemade cocoa mix. :) There are tons out there, but the one I went with is as follows:

5 c. dry milk
3 c. sifted powdered sugar
1 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 c. powdered creamer (any flavour, depending on how you want the cocoa to taste)

Opt: 2 t. cinnamon

Mix well and can be stored for use.

To make the cocoa, use 1/3 c. mix to 3/4 c. boiling water. Stir to mix and dissolve. Top with mini marshmallows or topping of your choice!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's another variation:

"...10 cups milk powder, 6 cups powdered sugar, 2 cups cocoa powder, 1 3/4 cups "Royale" Cremora, 2 envelopes of Stephens sipping cocoa mix, and 1 bag of mini-marshmallows. It makes 8 pint jars. Because of the marshmallows, you need to "tap" the jar to take out air pockets. I make a nice variation using 2 1/2 tsp. of Cinnamon with an extra 1/2 cup powdered sugar. I call it "Gourmet Christmas Cocoa". I decorate the top with fabric and raffia, add a cute tag and sell these jars at Craft Fairs for $4.50 each. Actual cost works out to about $1.80 per jar, but the jar itself is the most expensive."

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I tweaked it a bit, and I just tried a cup! Very tasty! Almost as good as "real" cocoa, and it may have tasted as good as the real stuff if I had used hot milk instead of hot water.

The new and improved recipe: 5 c. powdered milk; 6 c. powdered sugar; 2 c. unsweetened cocoa; 1 c. powdered creamer.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Does anybody have a hot cocoa recipe for stove top hot cocoa with milk, sugar and cocoa powder. I have tried a couple and not found the perfect cocoa-ey goodness that I am looking for. Would love to have one that makes 4 to 6 servings.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My calculations came out to $20.38 for 45 oz of cocoa mix or about .453/ounce. If you rough it out to 2.67 oz per serving, you get approximately 17 servings, at approx $1.21 per serving. This is what it would cost if you bought standard price, no sales, and not in bulk.

I compared it to cost per ounce of several other cocoa mixes, and some came out cheaper (ie, .23/ounce) and some came out more expensive (.60/ounce), so it isn't the cheapest cocoa mix out there. However, I've had the .23/ounce cocoa mixes, and it definitely tastes richer and more chocolately than those. Not sure how it would compare to the .60/ounce mixes.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
My calculations came out to $20.38 for 45 oz of cocoa mix or about .453/ounce. If you rough it out to 2.67 oz per serving, you get approximately 17 servings, at approx $1.21 per serving. This is what it would cost if you bought standard price, no sales, and not in bulk.

I compared it to cost per ounce of several other cocoa mixes, and some came out cheaper (ie, .23/ounce) and some came out more expensive (.60/ounce), so it isn't the cheapest cocoa mix out there. However, I've had the .23/ounce cocoa mixes, and it definitely tastes richer and more chocolately than those. Not sure how it would compare to the .60/ounce mixes.
Oh my gosh...my head is spinning after reading all your #'s LOL

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anybody have a hot cocoa recipe for stove top hot cocoa with milk, sugar and cocoa powder. I have tried a couple and not found the perfect cocoa-ey goodness that I am looking for. Would love to have one that makes 4 to 6 servings.
Holiday Cocoa: 2 oz unsweetened or semi sweet chocolate; 1/3 c. sugar; 4 c. milk. In med saucepan, combine chocolate, sugar, and 1/2 c. of milk. Stir over med heat until mixture comes to boiling. Stir in remaining milk; heat, but do not boil.

Remove from heat. Beat mixture with rotary beater until frothy, if desired.

Makes six 6-oz servings.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...and one called "ultra rich hot chocolate"...

4 c. half-and-half, light cream, or whole milk
3-4 oz. semi sweet chocolate, chopped
3-4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 T. dark corn syrup

In heavy, 2-qt saucepan, combine half-and-half and both chopped chocolates. Stir in dark corn syrup. cook and stir over medium heat until chocolate is melted and smooth.

To serve, pour hot chocolate into mugs and top with whipped cream, if desired.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Holiday Cocoa: 2 oz unsweetened or semi sweet chocolate; 1/3 c. sugar; 4 c. milk. In med saucepan, combine chocolate, sugar, and 1/2 c. of milk. Stir over med heat until mixture comes to boiling. Stir in remaining milk; heat, but do not boil.

Remove from heat. Beat mixture with rotary beater until frothy, if desired.

Makes six 6-oz servings.
Thanks. I think this one must use the squares of chocolate. Maybe I can sub the cocoa powder? I'll have to check into it. Cocoa powder is something I always have and wouldn't have to buy special. I usually don't have the squares in my pantry.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You might try this one. I haven't tried it, but it says "very, very rich" at the end. :)

12 ounce can evaporated milk
1-1/2 cups hot tap water
1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa or carob powder
Dash Salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Measure the water into a 2-quart sauce pan. Add the sugar, cocoa and salt. Heat the water over a medium flame. Stir the mixture until the cocoa dissolves completely.

Gently bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a fast simmer and simmer it for about 5 minutes. This will prevent the cocoa and sugar from sinking to the bottom of the cup when you serve it.

Finally add the evaporated milk and stir to blend. Reheat briefly, but don't boil if you can manage not to. Pour the hot chocolate to smallish cups.

This recipe makes 4 6-ounce size servings. You can double it when you are serving a gaggle of cold children who have just come inside from sledding. It goes really well with cookies, or sandwiches for a good snack on a snowy day. Very Very Rich.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks. I think this one must use the squares of chocolate. Maybe I can sub the cocoa powder? I'll have to check into it. Cocoa powder is something I always have and wouldn't have to buy special. I usually don't have the squares in my pantry.
I believe that on the Hershey's cocoa tin it tells you how to sub for baking squares, I believe it is 2 tbs. cocoa and 1 tbs. shortening for each square of unsweetened chocolate. Hope that helps a little. I, like you, always have cocoa but not always the squares and I sub the cocoa/shortening mixture all the time with great results.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
In The Tightwad Gazette, Amy Dacyczyn did a cost comparison on hot cocoa mixes. Mind you, the book was printed in 1993, but it will give you some idea. Price per 6-oz. serving.

TIGHTWAD HOT COCOA MIX (the least expensive - 7-cents)

Mix 1/3 c. dry milk with 1 t. of cocoa and sugar each. Add 1 c. of hot water. Or mix with cold water and prepare in the microwave.

Next was Hills Brothers, in container - 10.1-cents.

Then came the recipe submited by a reader - 12-cents:
Reader's Hot Cocoa Mix

10-2/3 c. dry milk
6-oz. non-dairy coffee creamer
1-pound Nestle's Quick (now goes by Nesquik)
1/3 c. confectioner's sugar

Mix the ingredients in a large bowl and store in covered container. To prepare hot cocoa, mix 1/2 c. of the mix with 1 cup of hot water.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you want an UN-frugal recipe, this is one I came up with to make an occasional cup of cocoa, but also use it for making chocolate pudding. I was determined to find a way to incorporate good-for-you 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate into our diet...

Cocoa/Pudding Mix

3/4 c. powdered milk
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
4 oz. Ghirardelli 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate (1-bar)
Combine all dry ingredients. Grate chocolate bar (grater or a food processor). Mix with dry ingredients.

To make cocoa: Mix 2 T. of the mix with 1 c. milk. Heat until hot, or 6-7 minutes.

For 2 servings pudding:
1/3 c. mix
3/4 c. water
1 T. coconut oil
1-1/2 T. cornstarch
1 t. vanilla (add after the pudding is finished)

Heat the first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan until it begins to boil and thicken. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and divide into 2 serving dishes.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
This is one we use, it's for the stove top. Thank you Paula Deen :lol:

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 1/2 cups hot water
Mini Marshmallows (optional)

In a large saucepan, combine sweetened condensed milk, cocoa, vanilla and salt; mix well. Over medium heat, slowly stir in water; heat through, stirring occasionally. DO NOT BOIL. Top with marshmallows, if desired.

Makes 6 cups.

Tip: Chocolate can be stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Mix well and reheat before serving.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I just wanted to send out a HUGE thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread!

This is one of those things that once we use up our last 6 packets of hot chocolate mix, that I intend on starting to make from scratch!

Grainlady, I made the 'Reader's recipe' out of the Tightwad Gazette book and somehow it seemd off the mark some how?

Does anyone use a recipe similar to this but has modified it somehow?
I would love to give it another try because it's fairly cheap to make and makes a HUGE amount at one time.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to post all of these recipes!

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you want an UN-frugal recipe, this is one I came up with to make an occasional cup of cocoa, but also use it for making chocolate pudding. I was determined to find a way to incorporate good-for-you 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate into our diet...

Cocoa/Pudding Mix

3/4 c. powdered milk
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
4 oz. Ghirardelli 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate (1-bar)
Combine all dry ingredients. Grate chocolate bar (grater or a food processor). Mix with dry ingredients.

To make cocoa: Mix 2 T. of the mix with 1 c. milk. Heat until hot, or 6-7 minutes.

For 2 servings pudding:
1/3 c. mix
3/4 c. water
1 T. coconut oil
1-1/2 T. cornstarch
1 t. vanilla (add after the pudding is finished)

Heat the first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan until it begins to boil and thicken. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and divide into 2 serving dishes.
Thanks it sounds yummy! I also like to find desserts with a "healthy" twist. The dark chocolate and coconut oil (I use organic virgin) will taste great and slip in that extra nutrition. :)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

Hi Aimeebee.

We buy our cocoa in bulk but for stove top I use the old Hershey recipe on the tin. I alter it slightly and put a small amount of water in the saucepan ( sorry just eyeball it and always turns out probably 1/2 cup to cup depending on how much I make that day) to that I add:

1/2 Cup Sugar
1/3 baking Cocoa
4 cups of milk
1/4 teaspoon of Cinnamon
bring to a slow boil making sure not to let burn .

We love it . We can't have HCF syrup nor do we use the creamers so this works for us , hope this helps.

I also have a dry version for when I am in a hurry.

Angel

Reactions: aimeebee

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I also have a dry version for when I am in a hurry.
Angel
Angel, would you mind sharing your dry recipe?
I would really like something that I can store in a container and just use whenever someone gets in the mood for cocoa.

Thanks bunches!

·
Registered
192 Posts
When I tried making my own cocoa mix it didn't dissolve the way that the instant mixes do. Any ideas on that? I think it was the cocoa powder not dissolving.

We get cocoa mix very cheaply at Aldi so I haven't tried to make my own lately, that was back in the day before Aldi was in our area.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts