Frugal Village Forums banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
white vinegar w/ lavender essential oil added to it is what we use for the rinse cycle.
we hang all of our laundry, it comes out very soft. the vinegar will help get the soap out of the fabric & is not toxic like some commercial fabric softeners.
there was a thread about natural fabric softening & ess oils back a while ago.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've heard of this but never tried

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I use the downy ball with vinegar too. I have a question though, do you just fill it to that line it has marked or fill it more? I feel like my clothes aren't very fresh.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I only use vinegar when I wash towels. I just put it in the fabric softener dispenser.

For clothes and sheets, I still use Bounce dryer sheets.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I started useing it becuase I woman I know told me what liquid softeners do to your lungs. I dont remember what she said but I do remember it scared me. Ironicly this same person is a smoker. I somehow dought that the faboric softener is any worse then the ciggaretts!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Use it all the time, works great.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Homemade Fabric Softener

Here is a Homemade Fabric Softener recipe:
6 Cups Water
3 Cups Vinegar
2 Cups = 16oz cheap conditioner (whatever scent you'd like)
Mix and store in a gallon container and you can keep refilling your store bought container.
** While it sits for a while it may separate I just shake each time I use it**

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
So how well does it work? Do your clothes smell as nice as they do with the store bought stuff?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I would like to know the same, and I am surely going to try this when I am out of my downy, I will let you know how my concocktion turns out and how it works!!
I'll know quickly as I use the fabric softener on all my washes (except cleaning rags) because I line dry!
Thanks Candy!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Works great and I haven't had any static and it smells like whatever scent you'd like to use. I can't tell any difference and it's a lot cheaper!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I love the idea of adding conditioner! I wash by hand normally put a splash of vinegar in the rinse water as a softener...I'll have to try a little conditioner next time to make it smell pretty too :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
I am not sure but that is a great idea. I need to count how many loads. I don't have to make it that often but thanks for the idea. Candy

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I made a small batch of this a few weeks ago to try it out.
I used
2 cups water
1 cup vinegar
2/3 conditioner (I used suave green apple)

The smell is not as heavy a scent as the name brand but it does not smell like vinegar.
I washed a blanket and could smell the green apple scent 5 days later.

The first day I hung dried them and had good results no static.
The next time I used the drier and they was a little static but not bad.

I will be using this after I use up the 8 bottle I have in my stockpile.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I love my Downey Ball! so much so I have a couple in my pantry stored away for a rainy day or when my ball finally breaks.

I usually just use vinegar in my ball, filling it about 1/3-1/2 full. I have never had a vinegar smell or static. However, I love the idea of using hair conditioner. I always have conditioner left over.. wash hair 2 times, cream rinse once.

Keeping my Downey container to use to mix the new fabric softener in.

I would like to add....

Dryer Sheets...

dryer sheets leave a coating on the dryer lint screen. this is very serious and one of the causes of dryer fires.

I clean my screen with a little soap and water in the fall and spring to keep it clean. I switched over to vinegar but still use dryer sheets from time to time.

To check your screen, run it under water. Does the water drain out or does it just sit there? if it sits on the screen.. it needs to be cleaned.

the air isn't flowing through the screen properly.

Please pass it on to others using dryer sheets.. it is a quick test and an even faster fix. (I mean since it is wet, a little soap and a sponge or brush, rinse and done)

61 - 80 of 101 Posts