·
Registered
291 Posts
I will have to try this out.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
This is great because now I have a use for the cheap conditioner I bought that didn't work out on my hair. By the way, those dryer balls don't work for me. They are good for letting me know when the dryer stops since they make a lot of racket.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I tried it and I am happy with it. I did use a little more conditioner as the bottle was a get a % more free bottle lol.

I used Sauve lavendar.

I will continue to make and use it and my old gallon vinegar jug works great for storage.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I wonder if the chemicals in this mixture could coat or damage heat sensors in dryers? If so, it would also void the warranty.

Personally, I never use toxic fabric softener liquids or sheets (what a savings) and this recipe looks like you're exchanging one group of fabric-coating chemicals for another (from the conditioner).

Softeners should NOT to be used on children/babies clothing because it coats the fabric fibers and can make it flamable (the fats and chemical residue left in the fabric).

Chemical-laden dryer sheets can eliminate fire retardant treatment on clothing (commonly found on children's pajamas). Perhaps the homemade softener does the same thing.

I use Charlie's Soap and all my laundry is soft without additions of softeners - even laundry that is line dried is soft. That's because Charlie's Soap doesn't leave soap residue.

If you have problems with static, and that's why you use softeners/sheets, there are ways to help reduce it (notice I didn't guarantee it would eliminate it, just reduce it). Static is a sign you are over-drying your clothing, so reduce the drying time (automatic money saver). Keep a spritz bottle of water at hand and when you open the dryer, give the contents a few spritzes to break the static charge (cheap and easy remedy). You can also add a wet washcloth and start the dryer for a few tumbles to rehydrate the air and break the static charge.

Fabrics that are made from synthetics are great at creating static, so remove them from the dryer before the load is completely dry; or hang them on a hanger, drying rack, or line to dry.

·
Registered
841 Posts
another easy one is dampen a wash put about a teaspoon of dollar store hair conditioner on it. Toss it in with a load of clothes! They come out smelling wonderful and no static!
Easy, no mixing, and fast to get done.

·
Registered
134 Posts
the more humidity one has the less static one has...

in my case... NO humidity so static is something we live with *sigh*

kiss my husband *shock*
touch my grandson *shock*
dog brushes up against me *shock*
open car door *shock*

not fun! I use conditioner. I do clean my dryer vents each time we have a time change! or spring and fall.

I carry dryer sheets to wipe my hands on to help reduce the *shock* effect!

Conditioner on an old washrag and let dry... hummmmmm

·
Registered
938 Posts
I made this today and - suprise, suprise, my cheapo conditioner has reduced it's size to 15 ounces! Just a litlle mini-rant there. sorry!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Does anyone know if this recipe is safe for front loaders?

·
Banned
952 Posts
what does everyone think about using essential oils instead of the conditioner? Because basically, the vinegar is whats helping to make it soft, and the conditioner is making the smell. I wonder how many drops of EO I should use? hmmm.....

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
here's a tip i read yesterday about dryer sheets....

take a clean washcloth and soak it in fabric soft...let dry and then use as a dryer sheet in the dryer.... so they say its good for about 5 dries before it needs to be 'soaked again'

haven't tried it yet but i intend to....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm going to grocery shopping tomorrow. I will have to try this :)

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this recipe, but this one works fantastic and there's no odor leftover! You only smell the detergent that you used. :D

1c baking soda
6c white vinegar
8c water
10 drops essential oils (optional)

First, pour the baking soda into an old 4L white vinegar bottle. Then very carefully add in one cup of water to the baking soda. Slowly add the 6c of vinegar to the bottle and be sure to swirl it around, let the fizz settle after each cup. Add in the other 7 cups of water to the jug, put the cap on and give it a turn upside down and then rightside up to mix it.

If you aren't careful when adding in the ingredients, it'll explode on you. I don't use the essential oils and my clothes are incredibly soft when I hang them on the line. Pour 1c of the combined ingredients into your washing machine during the rinse cycle.

·
8,714 Posts
~Plain vinegar(1/2 cup per large load)does work wonderfully as a rinse aid softener. I used it for towels and cloth diapers until 2 years ago.
Right now I'm using a giant bottle of liquid softener I got for $3. I water it down in a jar and then dip flannel squares into it to throw into the rinse cycle. I do it for the scent, not to soften. I'm on year two with this bottle.
I've managed to train my family to accept crunchy towels and crisp clothes and I prefer them that way.
If we have babies in the house again though I'll have to give the EO recipe a try!~

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this recipe, but this one works fantastic and there's no odor leftover! You only smell the detergent that you used. :D

1c baking soda
6c white vinegar
8c water
10 drops essential oils (optional)

First, pour the baking soda into an old 4L white vinegar bottle. Then very carefully add in one cup of water to the baking soda. Slowly add the 6c of vinegar to the bottle and be sure to swirl it around, let the fizz settle after each cup. Add in the other 7 cups of water to the jug, put the cap on and give it a turn upside down and then rightside up to mix it.

If you aren't careful when adding in the ingredients, it'll explode on you. I don't use the essential oils and my clothes are incredibly soft when I hang them on the line. Pour 1c of the combined ingredients into your washing machine during the rinse cycle.
Sounds great! Thank you! :)

G

·
Thanks for the recipe. I'm on the last bottle of Downy in my stockpile, and honestly, I like the lavender scent more than I care about the "softening" part. I'm going to try this with a little of my lavender oil and see how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
If you aren't careful when adding in the ingredients, it'll explode on you.

I can just picture this happening to me! :lol3:

I've been using plain vinegar and haven't noticed the smell, but I also always run my clothes through a second rinse (just water) so that may be why. (I have very sensitive skin so the second rinse is to get rid of any soap residue.)

81 - 100 of 101 Posts