Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found that buying jello packets and making the jello yourself is much cheaper than buying the premade jello cups. My dh and I take jello in our lunches quite often.

I bought a package of reusable gladware 1/2 cups containers and a package of 1 cup containers. They were probably a couple bucks each, but will last forever! The packets of jello can be found for $0.25 to $0.50 and 1 packet makes Four 1/2 cups or Two 1 cups of jello.

In comparison a 6-pack of jello (1/2 cup servings) is roughly $1.50. I can make my own 6-pack of jello for less than half that.

Once I made this comparison, I will never go back to buying premade cups of jello.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I JUST did this for my son's lunch's...

and he LOVED it. Take care and God bless.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I think homemade tastes better than the pre-mixed stuff too. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
when you make the jello, do you put it right into the containers or do you make one big bowl and dish it out separate as needed. I think for us, being used to the little cups for lunches, it would be easiest if I could make it right into the cups?

·
Registered
182 Posts
when you make the jello, do you put it right into the containers or do you make one big bowl and dish it out separate as needed. I think for us, being used to the little cups for lunches, it would be easiest if I could make it right into the cups?
i divide them into individual cups

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I do this with instant pudding also!! I would premake it then seperate into the dishes and when i packed into the lunch boxes i put a small dab of coolwhip on top!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was just going to say I do the exact same thing with pudding. lol!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I like to pour the jello and pudding right into the little gladware cup. It seems less messy for their lunch boxes.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I divide jello and pudding both into little containers. Works so much easier for us.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I get the Royal brand at Walgreens when it's on sale for 5/$1. I found that I don't eat enough fruitnormally, but if I add it to jello (mandarins, pineapple, etc.) then I actually get the fruit servings I should.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Great idea!! I need to get some containers and start making the sugar free jello for my dh to take to work. He'd diabetic and its so hard to find things for his lunch. He loves the sugar free jello!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I do this alot but I find that the containers dont always make it back home from school. So I just buy the dollar tree containers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
http://www.liangdianup.com/miscellaneous_1.htm

Who needs that much velcro?

Why would anyone need that much velcro? These guys sell it by the roll and is
hook and look and velcro the same thing?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just went to the kitchen and made Jello after reading this post! I have been guilty of buying the premade cups and they are just way too expensive....Jello is so cheap to make and I know it is easier to buy the premade cups for convenience, but honestly how hard is it to mix up a pkg of Jello? LOL!!!

Lynn

NEO April Chall: 0/30
Coupon Chall: $5.35
April Reading Chall: 0/2
Change Jar Chall: $8.80
April Gro. Chall: $59.39/$250

1 - 16 of 16 Posts