Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I've been wanting to try for over a year...and I always wait...Now that you tried it, Lori, I think I am going to try!:) I'm just worried about if it's hard on clothes? Last year, I had made a homemade disherwasher detergent and I found it was too rough on my dishes, the paint and designs were coming off the dishes...Have you ever tried dish washer detergent-homemade?

I'll be trying the homemade laundry detergent, soon...:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can make laundry detergent two ways...wet and dry!

For wet, I grate and melt a bar of Fels Naphtha. I add it to a 5 gallon bucket (with a lid!) that is almost full of water and a cup of borax and a cup of Washing Soda. Mix well. Let stand overnight and then use your hand to squish the larger gel clumps up. Use one cup or less per load.

For dry, I finely grate the bar of Fels Naptha and then in a very large bowl I mix a box of borax with a box of Washing Soda. Add in the Fels naptha and mix well. I store it in sun tea jars. It makes about one and a 1/3rd jars. I use 3 tsp's per load-sometimes less. I made it in Late January and I still have a little less than half left. And I do laundry for 5-6 people! (I'm a foster Mom and sometimes I have kids who are VERY hard on clothes!)

Tonya

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I will have to get some Borax and try this too. Thanks Lori, for getting us in gear!!

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Way to go Lori!!!! It really does save money doesn't it! I have been making the dry laundry soap and I love it! I'm going to try your recipe too!:smball:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I have never made it because we can't get the Fels Naptha here. But I have cut my laundry soap back over 1/2 and like Robin said, I've never had any problems.

Its amazing what one can do when they look at different areas. I use to wash my clothes on the longest cycle that used the most water. One day I decided why not use the cycle that uses the less amount of water and the less amount of electricity. My clothes came out exactly the same as they did in the longer cycle. I've never looked back.

Another area I found - you don't need to wash any clothes (other than diapers/training pants) in hot water. I use only cold water now and again, I was amazed at how my clothes came out.

Good for you Lori in making your own soap and saving $20 per month. Over a year thats $240.00, not a bad amount of savings.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I know all of the recipes call for "Fels Naptha" , if I used it, I wouldn't be saving much at all....... I use dove cuz it's what I had and I got for free. It worked fine.........

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I keep saying I'm going to make some, but never get around to it. My son has horrible pit stains on his shirts. I have wet a bar of fels naptha and rubbed it on the stain, and it took it right out. I'm thinking that if I made the laundry soap, it would be easier to rub onto the shirt. Why did I throw away those empty bottles?!?!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Way to go Lori. I am glad you found a recipe that works for you. I tried it once and didn't like the outcome.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
I can't seem to find Fels Naptha but that is OK because I just use whatever I have.....The last batch I used Ivory and the batch before was Dove.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You don't have to use Fels Naptha with the dry batch......not sure about the liquid.....never made it.....have always made the dry.

Anyways, I love using the ZOTE soap with the mixture. You can get bar of the zote soap (sold in the mexican food sections of the stores) for about .49 a bar.

This stuff works just as good as fels naptha and has a better scent.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I know what Borax is, but is washing powder the same thing or different. Will someone please post what it is called on the box and maybe a brand name. I have seen this posted about before, but dont have a clue as to what it is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
mrscornbread said:
I know what Borax is, but is washing powder the same thing or different. Will someone please post what it is called on the box and maybe a brand name. I have seen this posted about before, but dont have a clue as to what it is.

Robin,

the washing soda is actually called SUPER WASHING SODA (says that on the box) and is made by Arm & Hammer.

It's rather hard to find Super wal-mart doesn't evn carry it....lol. There;'s a local store here that carries it for $1.99 a box.

you can go to the arm and hammer website and find out the nearest store to you that sells it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Someone help!!! I made a batch of hm laundry soap (powdered) using Ivory instead of Fels Naptha... anyway, it worked great! But, the last load had a ton of soap residue on it - I ended up rinsing twice and one t-shirt ws still covered. :bang:

Does anyone have any suggestions? It was just the last little bit, so I'm wondering if maybe there was just too much soap in that part. Has this happened to anyone else?:confused:

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Article: Homemade Laundry Detergent

Save hundreds of dollars per year using these recipes!

Included are 3 liquid recipes, a powdered recipe, tips, and instructions about where to find ingredients.

Liquid Laundry Detergents

Recipe #1

3 Pints Water
1/3 Bar Fels Naptha Soap, Grated
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax
2 Gallon Bucket
1 Quart Hot Water
Cold Water

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of water, and heat on low until dissolved. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 Quart Hot Water to 2 Gallon Bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

--------------------------------------

Recipe #2

1 Cup Grated Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax
2 Tablespoons Glycerin
2 Gallons Hot Water (NOTE: This recipe originally called for 2 Cups Water)

Mix all three ingredients together. Add glycerin and water.
Use 1/2 - 3/4 cup per load. Best when used with cold or warm water.

----------------------------------------------

Recipe #3

Water
1 Bar Fels Naptha Soap, Grated
5 Gallon Bucket
1 Cup Washing Soda
4 1/2 Gallons Hot Water

Place grated soap in a small saucepan and cover with water. Heat on low until dissolved. Fill bucket with hot water, and add soap. Stir to combine. Add 1 cup washing soda and mix well. As it cools it will thicken. May be used immediately. Use 1-2 cups per load.

--------------------------------------------

Powdered Laundry Detergent

1 Cup Grated Fels Naptha Soap
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax

For light load, use 1 tablespoon. For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 tablespoons.

-----------------------------------

TIPS

• Liquid detergent can also be used as a pretreater for stains.

• Ivory Soap, Deodorant Soap, and Beauty Bars can be substituted for the Fels Naptha Soap.

• Essential Oils can be added to soap for fragrance.

• More Tips Here

--------------------------------------------

WHERE TO FIND INGREDIENTS

Fels-Naptha® Laundry Soap Bar: Made by the Dial Soap Company, so any store that carries Dial should be able to get it for you. If they carry it, it will be found in the bar soap or laundry soap aisle at your regular supermarket. It is usually on the bottom shelf. If you can't find it in your area, try Ivory Soap instead.

Super Washing Soda: Washing Soda can be found on the laundry detergent aisle of your supermarket. It comes in a 55-ounce yellow box. Baking soda SHOULD NOT be used in place of washing soda. They are completely different products, although they are both made by Arm & Hammer.

Borax: One brand name is 20 Mule Team® Borax. It is also found on the laundry detergent aisle.

For more information about these products, and where to find them, click here.

Try these recipes today - have fun and save money!
If you have any questions about these recipes, visit The Frugal Shopper.com or write to Sandy at [email protected].

--------------------------------------

Sandy Shields is a freelance writer and webmaster of TheFrugalShopper.com. She enjoys living the frugal life, saving money, and helping others to do the same. Subscribe to her newsletter to receive more money-saving ideas and frugal tips. Reprint permission granted with this footer included. Copyright © TheFrugalShopper.com 1999-2003.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I use homemade laundry soap and it work very well for pennies a bottle.........
I use 1 bar of REGULAR bar soap (I even use up those little pieces in the tub) grate, melt on the stove in water, add 2 cups of washing soda, 2 cups of borax, and mix, pour between 4 empty bottles and add enough hot water to fill, allow to cool and thicken......

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
bumping ... has anyone else tried these recipes for homemade soap? I want to try the powdered.

isaacsmommy, did you ever find out what happened??

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I've had that happen with commercial soap... While the tub is filling, add the soap and allow it to desolve before adding your cloths.......

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Using vinegar in the rinse would also help get rid of soap residue. I think I heard of that somewhere...I know I always use it...

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Lucie, I have heard of doing that, but never tried because I don't know how much to use. How much do you add, and during what cycle??

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Question on making Laundry Detergent

Ok...I got a recipe off the net somewhere...my question...how long to "cook" the ingredients to get it to thicken? or does it thicken as it cools or does it thicken at all?

1/3 bar Fels Naptha grated
1/2 c. borax
1/2 c. WASHING SODA not baking...hehehe

2pints water w/ F.N....heat til melted add other ingredients...cook on low until thicken??????

Put in 2 gal bucket ...add hot water to full. Let cool 24 hrs.

Now I followed directions as best I could and when it wasn't thick this a.m., I put it back on to cook for a bit...it's cooling again. HELP!!

21 - 40 of 376 Posts