Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like to buy rinse-out conditioner, because, well....you rinse it out! :crackup: Seems kind of a waste to me, and the rinse out kind has never done much for my hair. BUT, the leave-ins can be kind of expensive.

I found this recipe online: I make a small amt at a time and put in a little squeeze-top bottle.

1/2 cup cheap hair conditioner (like White rain works well, the really big bottle for $1 or less)
2 Tbsp. Oil--I like Olive or Jojoba
1 tsp. of Silk Protein liquid (can get it at Essential7--an online soapmaking site)--this is OPTIONAL, though, it is just as good with the conditioner and oil, only. It's pretty cheap and you use so little.

Shake it up well, and shake before each use---squirt about 1/2 tsp in hands and rub together, then rub on hair, starting at the ends. Less on the roots, especially if hair is oily.

Best on frizzy or dry hair. LOVE this stuff. Works better than anything I've bought and the bottle lasts forever.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have said you put this on just-shampooed damp hair. ;)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Sounds great! I, too, prefer leave in's.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I hardly ever use conditioners only because my hair is so fine it goes limp. I will keep this one handy for my friends and family who actually have nice thick hair. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Just a couple of ideas along this same line.:tay:
You can do a leave-in with just some water and a teaspoon or so of your fav. conditioner, OR you can just put like one or two drops of the oil in your hands, rub together and then smooth over your hair.

Another good oil I've found for my hair is coconut oil, I use the unrefined and pay about $8.00 for a 16 oz. container, yep it sounds really expensive but you have to use so little each time the container will literally last you a year or two. This is really good for the ends or I apply it after washing my hair as well. Just take a small amount rub your hands together to kind of warm it up and then just rub it through your hair.:pony:

I love finding more natural hair care products to care for my hair and love to share with others when I come across a really good idea!
Thank-you cab54 for starting this thread and passing along your recipe!:flowers:

Michelle

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Thanks for the recipe. I love leave-ins too. I usually just put a tiny bit of my reg. wash-out in my just washed damp hair and work it through and don't rinse. I'll have to try your recipe. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I use a bit of my "wash out" conditioner as a leavin conditioner/gel alternative :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I use a bit of my "wash out" conditioner as a leavin conditioner/gel alternative :)
I do the same thing, have for years. I buy Suave or White Rain conditioner, use about a quarter size blob, and just apply and comb through. I used Infusium for awhile, but this works just as well.

For damage, I put half and half olive oil and coconut oil in my hair and leave it overnight with a shower cap on. You don't have to use much, just keep combing until it's all the way through your hair.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Jaded, do you have curly hair? LOL. Sounds like it. That's what I do. I've pin curls(natural) that frizz easily. I was getting some stuff from a salon, and it was terribly expensive. then Pantene was making a similar product for less than 1/4 of the cost., and then it was discontinued. So I found a heavy thick conditioner, and use about a dime worth. so a $4 bottle of conditioner goes a LONG LONG way! And no frizz! The nice thing about it, is I don't have to wash everyday. I can shower and rinse, and NO knots. Then add a dab again and good. Daily shampooing is hard on my hair.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Mommy4ever, have you ever heard of CO'ing (conditioner only washing)? I too have very thick, wavy hair and it's done wonders for my hair.

You basically never use shampoo or if you do, it's only every couple of weeks.
You actually "wash" your hair with Conditioner, yep, I know it sounds crazy but it really does work, and keeps your hair super soft and doesn't dry your hair out. The good part is, you get to use super inexpensive hair conditioners, such as VO5 or Suave and they give awesome results.

Also most shampoos are drying even if they state that they are "moisturizing" because of the chemicals that are added.

I belong to a hair forum and have learned tons regarding ingredients, and it really is eye-opening. I thought at first it was a little "weird" but after visiting and reading up on everything, it's been super helpful to me.

If your interested you can check out long hair community forums, it really is a great site.:thumb:

HTH,
Michelle

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also do the 'washing with conditioner'. Conditioner has enough cleansing agents to wash you hair clean (even if the roots are oily or whatevere) without the drying effects.

Michelle, I also keep a bottle of Coconut oil under the bathroom counter. I found out how nice it was when I was trying to frugally fight night sweats during menopause (especially in hot weather). It is a cooling oil, and when applied to the feet and scalp, it cools the body down a bit. (And softens hair and feet ;)) It may have been my imagination, but I swear it made for less night sweats and I slept better.

BUT, while trying it for THAT, I noticed that coconut oil cut down on the frizzies in my wavy, frizz-prone hair. So I still keep some down there for putting on dry hair to tame it. You use so little and it beats the price of frizz serums!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok - I have tried this twice in the last week, other times using conditioner as normal and washing it out. This home made leave in conditioner is by far the best method! It stops my hair frizzing and leaves it really soft. Great tip
Wen

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Leave Ins and Ingredients

Part of my "change" has been that I got my wavy hair I had as a child back. Both good and bad. Good, in that I like it, bad, in that for the first time as an adult I've got the frizzys!

So, I put reg conditioner on damp hair. Most really cheap conditioners and shampoos have something in them (perfume probably) that makes my nose go nuts, so I'm real cautious about what I use. (Trader Vic's citrus conditioner at the moment.)

If you're worried about ingredients, there's a site that rates products for animal testing, carcinogens, etc. Here's a link:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

JD

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Michelle, yes I have done that CO-ing. It works well, especially when my hair needs washing more often--say hot humid summer--and I don't want to dry it out, but want it clean and fresh. I still put a little dab of the conditioner then BACK into my hair to add moisture to the ends, and make it more detangled. CO-ing works!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts