Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Homemade No Bake Granola Bars

Recipe Description
These are the yummy granola bars that DJ1972 posted in kitchen basics a while ago.​
Preparation Steps:
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
2 1/2 c crisp rice cereal
2 c uncooked quick-cooking oats
1/2 c raisins
1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c light corn syrup
1/2 c peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c milk chocolate morsels​
Serves:
Directions:
Combine first three ingredients in a large bowl; set aside. Bring brown sugar and syrup to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla until blended.

Pour peanut butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until coated; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in chocolate morsels. Press mixture firmly into a 13x9-inch pan; cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars​

·
Registered
682 Posts
I LOVE making these. I've used leftover ground up Halloween Chocolate for the Choco. Chips before :)
Andrea

·
Registered
264 Posts
OMGosh... :thud:

These look SOOOO good! Gotta make these soon!

·
Registered
243 Posts
These are sooo good. Does anyone have a round about estimate of how much these cost a batch? I don't remember how much the corn syrup was. Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
thank you! these look yummy & like something the kids could make:hungry:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
thanks for bumping

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I've made these for a long time and they are very good. I leave out the raisins. i've also dumped in bits of sunflower seeds or coconut that wasn't enough to make anything else out of. Waste not and all.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
These are sooo good. Does anyone have a round about estimate of how much these cost a batch? I don't remember how much the corn syrup was. Thanks!
Just doing this off the top of my head.

Rice crispies $1.79 box at aldi. so I will say .50 for that
Oatmeal $1. for small generic at dollar store. .50 for that
Raisins are $1 a box at walgreens for about 2 cups .25 for that
Brown sugar $1 generic 2 lb. bag .10 for that
Corn syrup just a guess $2.50 for a 32 oz size so .10 for that
Peanut butter $1 for generic .20 for that
Vanilla .02
choc. chips $1. for generic .25

So roughly $1.47 per pan
I estimated high due to the rising prices of everything. But not a bad price for a pan of granola compared to over $2 for six in a box.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I just made these with honey nut cheerios!! mmmmmmmmmmmm where they ever good! I am going to start making these for my dh lunch now instead of buying granola bars!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love all the substitutions that you are posting. I think I may have to try the Honey Nut Cheerios...That sound pretty good.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I made them with rice crispies with strawberries and added some chopped almonds also. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Just doing this off the top of my head.

Rice crispies $1.79 box at aldi. so I will say .50 for that
Oatmeal $1. for small generic at dollar store. .50 for that
Raisins are $1 a box at walgreens for about 2 cups .25 for that
Brown sugar $1 generic 2 lb. bag .10 for that
Corn syrup just a guess $2.50 for a 32 oz size so .10 for that
Peanut butter $1 for generic .20 for that
Vanilla .02
choc. chips $1. for generic .25

So roughly $1.47 per pan
I estimated high due to the rising prices of everything. But not a bad price for a pan of granola compared to over $2 for six in a box.
and you know exactly what's in these:chef:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
made another batch! This time i used crispy rice, crunchy pnut butter and Reese's pieces baking bits! MMMMMMMM good! kids are loving these homemade granola bars!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I made these and they were quite good however I really was not impressed with the rice crispies in it. I am going to try another cereal and see how it goes. It just reminded me too much of those rice crispy squares that you make with marshmallows.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I had a recipe similar to this several years ago that called for Special K cereal -- and no oatmeal -- and those were really good.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been experimenting with this recipe to see if I can make it a little more healthy without wanting to throw it in the trash...LOL Here are a few variations that I have tried over the past few weeks.

~almond butter instead of peanut butter
~wheat puff instead of rice crispies
~brown rice syrup instead of corn syrup
~add flaxseed meal and coconut
~when I used almond butter, I also added almond extract instead of vanilla.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've made two batches of these already. They come out like slightly heavy rice krispie treats with extra flavor. My wife loves them, and shares them with coworkers, and we keep running out. So, they're a hit. Yum.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I made these and they were quite good however I really was not impressed with the rice crispies in it. I am going to try another cereal and see how it goes. It just reminded me too much of those rice crispy squares that you make with marshmallows.
Well im glad we werent the only ones that really wasnt impressed with them made with rice crispies, they are tons better with honey nut cherrios!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I completely forgot about this recipe until someone in another post mentioned granola bars. I haven't made these in a few months, time to get back to it! So simple and good!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I'm wanting to make these again, but I don't see the list of ingredients and how much of each :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts