Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fed 10 of us, 3 of them teen boys who ate 6 slices each. They would have demolished take out.

3 extra large pizzas

5lb flour $1.89
Pepperoni $1.99
mozzarella cheesex2 $7.58
pizza saucex2 $2.00
yeast, spices $.50

Cheapest take out (and not as big)
$30.00

savings $16.04

x26 times/year $417.00

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I agree. It is so much more frugal to make pizza from scratch and so easy. I actually think it tastes better too. Plus, if you have little kids, they really enjoy making their own (putting toppings on).

I make mine with Whole Wheat flour so it would be a bit more expensive, but still cheaper than take out.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Yes our family has been having homemade pizza night once a week with movies and games for years now and save:

over 900.00 a year ( that is for 3 homemade pizzas a week) for a year. Amazing. We do different styles . My side of the family use to own a bakery.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Dough recipes? :D I use a dough recipe that's on the forum. I'll have to look for it. I'm not super crazy about it, but it's not the worst I've ever made.

Do you guys use pizza pans, regular pan or a pizza stone?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just made my own tonight. I had never made my own dough before, but tonight I did. It wasn't too hard. My biggest critic, DH, absolutely LOVED it. He said that I tasted better than take-out. I do not know how much it cost me, but I know that it cost a lot less than a take-out pizza. I still have enough supplies to make about 2 more full size pizzas.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I use a pizza stone, they seem to work the easiest for me.

When my kids were younger, I'd make a double batch everyone made there own pizza for dinner and a calzone for lunch the next day. Same dough, made like a turnover, cut slits in the top. Bake time is about the same. It was something different for lunch. I also, use to make breakfast ones with ham, potatoes, eggs and cheese, once they were baked I'd freeze them. Then, into the microwave or toaster oven when we wanted a change.

This is a link to the same as the recipe that I used with a stand mixer Mr Linky

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I'll check when I go to the store how much frozen dough is in comparison, too.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
We use an airbake pizza pan, but we love homemade pizza!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
At our commissary on 1/6/09 a can of refrigerated pizza dough was $1.69. It makes 1 large pizza.
That's not too bad for a middle ground. It's tough because here we have two pizza places with super cheap pizza.

Reactions: guest002

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ya know, even if delivery pizza were magically as affordable as homemade, the taste doesn't hold a candle. Homemade is a win-win. :vibes:

·
Registered
182 Posts
i'm not brave enough for homemade crust, so i buy mine

walmart brand is $1.50 but i bought pillsbury last time because i had coupons for $1.10 off so that made them $1.06

even so, the savings are there

2xdough=#2.12
cheese 4c.=$3.76
bbq sauce about 1/2 bottle=$0.50
chicken about 4 cups= approx $2.00

2 pizzas the size of a cookie sheet for $8.38

it used to cost us $30 for take out

·
Registered
388 Posts
We prefer homemade pizza as well. I have a large round pizza pan that I use. The taste is so much better.

Paula, I use a KA mixer to make mine, and use the recipe that comes in the KA book. Let me know if you don't have one and I'll look it up.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I use my breadmachine pizza dough recipe and use it in my Kitchen Aid (1 cup water heating in the microwave for 1 minute), 2 TBSP oil, 1 tsp salt, 3 cups flour, 2 tsp yeast).

My guys love homemade pizza. If we wind up eating bought pizza, I always get "Mom, your homemade is so much better."

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I use a recipe from the "Fanny Farmer Cookbook"
1 1/3 c warm water
1 package dry yeast
3-4 cups flour
Olive oil
2 teaspoons salt

In 1/3 c warm water, disolve the yeast and let stand for 5 min. Add about 2 c of the flour, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 cup warm water, and the salt, and beat. Add more flour, mixing well, until the dough holds together in a rough mass. Lightly flour a board or work surface and knead the dough for 10 min , or until it is smooth and elastic. Put it in a oiled bowl to rise, covered with plastic wrap. When the dough has doubled in bulk, about 2 hours, punch it down and divede in thirds. Let rest for 5 min. Preheat oven to 450. Then just make your pizza and cook it for about 18-20 min.

***my notes***
I have made this with a mix of white flour and whole wheat, white and rye, and all whole wheat. Each time it is great.
I use my regular cookie pans and just make rectangular pizzas. Or I make little small circles for the kids to do for themselves. I have tried putting a bit of oil on the dough before the sauce and cheese, I think that keeps the dough from getting too moist from the sauce.
I also just buy jars of regular tomatoe sauce, not "pizza sauce", and add my own herbs. Oregano, Basil, etc.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have tried that, but I read either in another recipe here or on-line that putting a bit of oil on the dough before you put the sauce on will prevent it from getting soggy. I tried it last time and I think it worked. I will have to try it again to be a convert though.

Reactions: guest002

·
Registered
900 Posts
ILOVESEWING, could I get that recipe from you? I have a KA mixer and didn't get that recipe.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts