Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk

Recipe Description
This is a 'from scratch' recipe for canned sweetened condensed milk. (The brand name equivalent would be Eagle Brand)

Its so easy, I may never buy a can again.

This recipe makes the equivalent of one 14oz can

(BTW I know this isn't a "sauce" but this seemed to be the most fitting category as its similar to a condiment/sauce)​
Preparation Steps:
Boil water - or in my case, turn on the kettle and measure out the water once its done boiling.

Take out either the blender OR a heat-safe bowl and wire whisk. (I don't think this is a big enough job to warrant a blender and a whisk and bowl are much easier to wash, IMO.)​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
5-10 minutes​
Ingredients:
1c instant non-fat powdered milk
1/3c boiling water
3tbsp melted margarine or butter
2/3c granulated sugar
splash of vanilla (optional)
tiny pinch of salt (optional)​
Serves:
equal to 1 x 14oz can​
Directions:
BOWL METHOD
Place all the ingredients in a heat-safe bowl and whisk until well mixed and very smooth.

BLENDER METHOD
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.

It will be a thinner consistency then the canned stuff but if you let it sit, I find it thickens up. After refrigeration, I find it to be thicker as well.

It should last a few weeks in the fridge, however each time I've made it, I've used it right away or within a day or two.​

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks for this recipe. I was planning on looking for something like this soon. I certainly don't want to spend extra money to buy something that I can easily make.

Kara

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its about $3/can here! :thud:

Glad I found this recipe before the holiday baking season started.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts