1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. who homeschools here?
2. why and when did you start?
3. ages of kids?
4. please give me #1 tip on anything that has to do with homeschooling and avoiding the "flusters"

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
:wave2:

Me! me!

1. i have a 7 yo ds who's in 2nd grade and a 5yo dd whos doing pre k

2. started 3 years back when i decided i don't like the way schools here are, over crowded etc.

3. oh...already answered that one

4. be flexible. if somethng isn't workin, look at something else!

·
Registered
247 Posts
1. who homeschools here? Me
2. why and when did you start? My Son is finishing up 1st grade, and I've schooled him since birth. :)
3. ages of kids? 6 and 3
4. please give me #1 tip on anything that has to do with homeschooling and avoiding the "flusters" Like Missy said, if something isn't working, find a different route. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
1. who homeschools here?
~~We homeschool. I say "we" because even though DH works and I am a SAHM, he does just as much schooling with the kids as I do.~~

~Officially we started in he fall of 2005 with DD and the winter of 2006 with DS. However, when DD and DS were babies and toddlers we did an informal version of schooling. DD was reading on a second grade level by age 3.
We turned to HS for a several reasons, but the main ones were:
#1 - The public schools are not safe here. Metal detectors and police officers are everywhere. Even with the police presence, the violence is out of control. We do not believe in sheltering the kids, quite the opposite. But, we could not send them into the schools and feel good. Glad we made the choice we did, the Jr. high DD would have attended has already had several violent issues and one of the police officers has been charged with having inappropriate sexual contact with several male and female students.
#2 - The No Child Left Behind has ruined th schools. The teachers are forced to spend so much time preparing the kids to take standardized tests true learning has been short changed.
#3 - The schools do not have enough resources to cater to special needs students, whether they are gifted or learning disabled. There is no individualization in teaching. All of the kids are lumped together and expected to learn the same way.~

3. ages of kids?
DD is 13 - but only for two more weeks. She would be 8th grade if in traditional school. We school her at a higher level though and she has been accepted to a college already for early admission in the dual enrollment program.
DS is 11. He would be 6th grade if in traditional school. However, he is schooled above that in everything except math. He is a little below grade level there.

4. please give me #1 tip on anything that has to do with homeschooling and avoiding the "flusters".
~I agree with what everyone else has said. If what you are doing is not working, try something else. The beauty of HS is the ability to cater to each child's learning style and customize everything to fit your situation. I also have to add, when we get a little miffed or flustered, we take some time off. A day or two break does wonders. On a more personal note, DH makes it a point to give a few hours every Sunday to myself. Since I am with the kids 24/7, he takes them to the park or ball field so I can have "me" time.

Whew - that was long - sorry.

·
Registered
566 Posts
1.we do!
2. son has bipolar regular school was just not working for him. we started this year.
4. i recommend be flexible

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
1. I will be
2. starting the end of this school year
3. 7 in May
4. Remember that Edison was homeschooled after his first grade teacher thought him to be unteachable. DD doesn't fit in to the 'box' and I keep telling myself that she may be the next Edison, but I won't know until we try.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
1. who homeschools here?
We do!!!

They have never gone to school, so birth....

3. ages of kids?
11, 9, and 9

4. please give me #1 tip on anything that has to do with homeschooling and avoiding the "flusters".

Try unschooling for a while if you all need a break.

·
Registered
942 Posts
1. who homeschools here?
:wave2:
In a organized, we've decided we are going to do this - 4 years ago

3. ages of kids?
7,4,2 & 6 months

4. please give me #1 tip on anything that has to do with homeschooling and avoiding the "flusters"

For us it has been realizing that my kids need time away from 'organized' learning. I've found that when my girls start to struggle with something we just put it away for a few days, few weeks or even a month. Suddenly they will 'get' it and be ready to go back to it. That has been one of my hardest lessons to learn as I kept wanting to keep pushing until they "learned" it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
We used to does that count. Though I am seriously thinking about bringing them back home.
We stopped when I had to go on full bedrest at week 9 with my now 2 yr old dd.
When we homeschooled them, we decided to because the school was going to hold my oldest back in 1st grade, the reason being that she was shy. She was performing above grade level in every area but she was shy on the playground and wouldn't just jump in with a group of kids to play. When they were put back into public school we were in a different state, and I didn't bring them home after the baby was born because the 3 older kids were doing well in school, and honestly I loved their teachers. Right now where we are I am not impressed with the teachers/schools at all, but the kids like it and would rather be there, so time will tell what we decide to do about next school year.
Best tip I have is don't stress if the kids aren't getting it, you have plenty of time to work on the concept instead of being rushed by a schedule set up by someone else. If it takes 2 weeks to get a concept that is ok. You will also learn what methods of teaching work best for your child, so you can teach your child that way....instead of teaching the method that schools use to teach the "norm". Get creative and have fun.

·
8,714 Posts
1.I'm still trying to get a preschool routine started. It's a bit hard for me to switch from my role as a playmate/caregiver into an educator.
2.I was homeschooled myself. I 100% agree with Neeley's reasons for homeschooling. I can create an more individualized learning experience for my kids because I know them best and have more time for them than a teacher would.
3. DS is 4 and DD is 2. Both are Speech Delayed. I believe DS also has (undiagnosed) Sensory Processing Disorder.
4. I'm loving reading everyone's tips! What helps me most with my day in general is my before-bed-routine. If I lay out our clothes for the next day and tidy up before bed the next day is so much smoother. I don't know why but it works.
5.???? I'm curious how much interaction with other children everyone's kids have. My DS(because of the SPD) does not enjoy spending time with other children. It terrifies him actually. We tried storytime and Sunday School and it wasn't pleasant at all for him. I'd like to ease him into group socialization(mainly so we can go to church and stores again without him crying himself into a frenzy). Do you have kids over? Do you belong to a group????

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
5.???? I'm curious how much interaction with other children everyone's kids have. Do you have kids over? Do you belong to a group????
My kids spend a lot of time with other kids. DS is very active in sports and at least five nights a week he is at the ball field having practice or at the batting cages. The kids always get together and play after practices. He and his friends spend countless hours playing and hanging out each week. He plays baseball year round plus he also plays football for a travel team and church basketball. Almost all of his friends are from his sports.

DD goes to classes on Mondays and has some friends there. She also has her friends from church. They have a very relaxed meeting on Wednesdays and every other Friday night (give or take a week here or there) they have a get together. She has a boyfriend who is also homeschooled and they are always going to the movies or doing something together (it is always with his parents or with us present). She plays basketball and volleyball as well. She does volunteer work with a baseball league for children and adults with special needs, that is an every Saturday event. DD is also a volunteer with the state archives and history museum which is a minimum of 6 days a month.

We do have a homeschool support group that offers almost daily activities for the kids. There are clubs, sleepovers, field trips, playdates etc.... We have a huge backyard with a pool and do have friends over - more in the spring and summer than in the winter though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1. who homeschools here? Another one here
2. why and when did you start? Well my son(5) is not old enough for school but was eager to learn. He seems advanced so dont see the point in putting him in school anytime soon
3. ages of kids? 5, 3, 1
4. please give me #1 tip on anything that has to do with homeschooling and avoiding the "flusters" Well dont have much to offer since I am a newbie and I get second thoughts often. The best thing I can say is really identify why you want to homeschool and then use that value as a reminder to stay committed to it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
1. who homeschools here? meeeee!

Because I want my kids to enjoy learning and not be held back by the "one size fits all" mentally of pulic school education. We just started preschool this year.

3. ages of kids? 3 and 1, plus one on the way.

Blessed be the flexible, for they shall not break. :) Also, don't sweat the little things. Everything always works out in the big picture.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
1. who homeschools here? we do
2. why and when did you start? ds was bullied at public school so we pulled him a few weeks into 2nd grade, this is our second year
3. ages of kids? 8, 6, 4, and 2
4. please give me #1 tip on anything that has to do with homeschooling and avoiding the "flusters" don't plan your days too far in advance. I have a general plan of how things will go, but I don't write anything down until we do it. My sister writes everything down at the beginning of the year and then flips out if something doesn't get done on the day it was supposed to get done. How do I know if someone will get sick on Feb 2nd of next year? how do I know how quicly Michael will work through his math book? How do I know there won't be field trips we will want to go on? Don't plan too far ahead, at least the specifics anyway.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
1. I homeschool
2. We started four years ago. DD was 4 and ready for preschool or pre-K. I had more time than money. So I started working with her informally. I read and learned a LOT about homeschooling, and by the time she was old enough for K, there was no way I was going to put her in school.
3. Kindergarten & 2nd grade by their ages, but they work at the level they need to for each subject.
4. RELAX!!!!! Don't do too much formal curriculum too early. Read Ruth Beechicks books.

·
Registered
175 Posts
1. who homeschools here? We do!
2. why and when did you start? Twas something I always wanted to do. From birth(before if you count reading to the fetus LOL!) but 'officially' for seven years now.
3. ages of kids? 14 and 12
4. please give me #1 tip on anything that has to do with homeschooling and avoiding the "flusters" I hate to be an echo, but being flexible is the key--I think it's the key in LIFE, much less in parenting!!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted from nuisance26:
1.I'm still trying to get a preschool routine started. It's a bit hard for me to switch from my role as a playmate/caregiver into an educator.
2.I was homeschooled myself. I 100% agree with Neeley's reasons for homeschooling. I can create an more individualized learning experience for my kids because I know them best and have more time for them than a teacher would.
3. DS is 4 and DD is 2. Both are Speech Delayed. I believe DS also has (undiagnosed) Sensory Processing Disorder.
4. I'm loving reading everyone's tips! What helps me most with my day in general is my before-bed-routine. If I lay out our clothes for the next day and tidy up before bed the next day is so much smoother. I don't know why but it works.
5.???? I'm curious how much interaction with other children everyone's kids have. My DS(because of the SPD) does not enjoy spending time with other children. It terrifies him actually. We tried storytime and Sunday School and it wasn't pleasant at all for him. I'd like to ease him into group socialization(mainly so we can go to church and stores again without him crying himself into a frenzy). Do you have kids over? Do you belong to a group????
----------------------------------------------------------------

My response:

I, too, have a son who has speech issues and sensory issues--he's 14 now and is a good communicator and has learned to handle his sensory quirks.
I tell you this so you'll know I understand your position :)

Simply 'plug in' your child. Take him everywhere you go, exposing him to different things BUT learn his 'threshold' and help him cope when he's had enough. Our coping tactic for our son was to carry a backpack with books he loved, crayons, paper and small toys also. When things became overwhelming, we retreated to a corner with those things for awhile--away but yet not away. These were situations such as family gatherings where we didnt want to leave--other situations, we simply left when he reached his limit. The backpack became his comfort object and do you know, he STILL carries a backpack with books n the like with him everywhere he goes lol. He likes 'something to do' if need be. He still reaches his limit, but knows how to handle it by taking time to himself to calm himself.

Your child is young yet, I wouldn't push him when it comes to other kids...let him become comfortable in his own skin first. That will take some time, but if you simply plug him into life, it will come. It will be hard and you may only get 5 minutes in the grocery, but that time will increase as your child adjusts.

Also, you dont have to change your role from playmate/caregiver to educator...I'm sure you've been teaching your child all along! Just continue to do that and you'll see how learning comes for both of you.

Feel free to message or email me anytime--I've SO been there with the quirks you're dealing with!! :)

~~

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
1. We do (or we will)
2. We have homeschooled since birth (love that answer!). We will be "officially" starting this fall. I was homeschooled my entire education (K-12) so I'm pretty familiar with it. The main reason we choose to educate at home is that our kids are just that - ours. I do not see the benefit of turning my children over to the state or institutionalized education. Who knows my children and their needs better than my husband or me? I could get on my soap box here, but I'll spare you - for now. ;)
3. My girls are 5, 2 1/2, and 2 months
4. Definitely be flexible but also: Don't "do school", unless that's what your child needs. Setting up a miniature school and teaching each subject for a set amount of time works for some but not all. Don't feel like you have to duplicate a classroom experience.

Oh, and as a side note on socialization: At what other time in a person's life will the only be around people exactly their own age for 8 hours a day? We're busy in our church & community and my oldest girls, though only 5 & 2, are comfortable around kids their own age, older kids, teenagers, adults, & elderly folks. I wouldn't have it any other way. :) Sorry to get on the soap box but that question annoys me. I was homeschooled my entire life and there is no way I've been poorly "socialized" whatever that means. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts