Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=85408

A homeschooling movement is sweeping the nation – with 1.5 million children now learning at home, an increase of 75 percent since 1999.
Research has shown the positive effects of homeschooling through the years. While some critics say teaching children at home may stunt their social growth, Dr. Brian D. Ray, president of National Home Education Research Institute, reveals homeschooled students fare well or better than public and private school students in terms of social, emotional and psychological development.
:nails:

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I homeschooled my boys in 03-06 (K-2"ish").....and now they are in 4th and 5th grade. Next year, they are both coming home again......not really "wanting" to do that, but the younger one's special needs issues are causing me to make that tough decision, and the other flipped out and begged to come back home.......so I'll be joining the homeschooling movement again......

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am not surprised. I wish I knew more about homeschooling about 10 years ago and was able to stay home and homeschool my ds (19) He had a difficult time in school and the teachers just wanted to medicate him. My dd is in a public Montessori which in my opinion is better than regular public school. It is so nice to have a choice.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
My sister homeschooled my nephew, but only after he got kicked out of just about every school she put him into. Too disruptive, very ADHD-like tendencies, and she chose to teach him at home rather than put him on meds, mostly because addiction runs pretty high on his father's side of the family, and she had concerns.

Unfortunately, I can't say my nephew is a stellar case of the product of homeschooling. My sister did a GREAT job, and they got him into a charter high school, and he ultimately graduated. But he is about the biggest lump of unmotivated laziness I have ever known. He is 20 now, and won't even think about going to look for a job. He is happy being fed and clothed and housed by his parents, and being allowed to play video games until 3a and then sleep until after noon.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
This is great to hear!..Most of my friends homeschool their kids and are doing an awesome job!...Wish I would have done this with my girls!...If I had the skills and was allowed I would hs my grandsons!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Our area has a lot of public schools closing. Ones my kids would otherwise go to. Homeschooling is our family's choice, and with the public schools closing I wonder if more families around might not choose similarly. http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/37186124.html My kids are right smack dab in the center of D11 and would have to use those schools were they in public school.

·
8,714 Posts
~I'm happy this is happening. I finished home-school high school in 1998 and up until then the socialization among other home-schoolers was bleak. I think there were two groups. And forget about the schools letting you participate in their activities. Now that I'm homeschooling my own kids I'm seeing so many more co-operative learning options with home-school groups and established schools. I've been researching groups to join in my area. There are eight!~

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thanks for posting this- I already knew this inherently but it is good to have statistics to quote to well meaning but misguided family and friends.

I taught public school long enough to know that how children get along in society at large has as much to do with their home life and their personality as it does with their school environment. When they have friends over my kids get along better with them now that we homeschool and I think it has much to do with the fact that they are no longer competing with them for class standing or a teacher's praise and attention. JMHO

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks for posting this- I already knew this inherently but it is good to have statistics to quote to well meaning but misguided family and friends.

I taught public school long enough to know that how children get along in society at large has as much to do with their home life and their personality as it does with their school environment. When they have friends over my kids get along better with them now that we homeschool and I think it has much to do with the fact that they are no longer competing with them for class standing or a teacher's praise and attention. JMHO

:yes me too

·
Registered
579 Posts
its also more popular in canada, 60000 families...in the country , but we have 4 school boards to choose from..english, french, english catholic and frech catholic...add in french immersion...and there is a lot of choice...and addding religion, less people homeschool for religious regions..

i am now homeschooling since november...wow much much harder than i thought....but the more i read the more i KNOW its what is best for my 2 kids (sk and grade 2) grade 2 dd has aspergers..and just simply wasnt working at all in reg school

·
Registered
956 Posts
We're in our 2nd year of homeschooling. Our local schools are like many, overcrowded, under funded, with regulations that prevent teachers from sparking an ounce of creativity in their students. DD is special needs, so the decision was easier for us than most since school was torture for her and there wasn't enough funding for her to receive the help she truly needed. My only regret is that I didn't start out with homeschooling from the beginning.

·
Registered
579 Posts
starlight..i know what you mean, i so regret not pushing more and homeschooling from the start .......we lost so much ground and its been sooo hard on her....and all of us with the reg school system and now we're all trying to "unprogram" ourselves....

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
do you guys use any of the paid online curriculums? or do you make your own?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Woohoo!! That is cool that there are so many of us. But, you know, how did they get that number? I know there are tons of unregistered homeschoolers in Oregon that don't get counted. I bet that number is even higher.

We create our own.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
we use an online one too, and then we put together some stuff on our own as well.

·
Registered
956 Posts
We piece together our own. We use a curriculum for math and grammar/reading, but they are from different companies. For history, reading, science, and anything special the kids want to study we use unit studies, free online resources, library reading, etc to learn about them.

·
Registered
945 Posts
hey bumplett, we are "eclectic homeschoolers" we are signed up for one of the online class offered free in Missouri, we use the library, our local school was kind enough to let us borrow some extra textbooks, the internet is an abundance of resources, and I have a TON of resource materials leftover from my teaching days.

Its funny, the homeschool forum I belong to many of the families buy whole curriculums, some of which are very expensive, but not at FV, we piece ours together, lol.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts