Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~ I thought there was a separate area for Homeschooling, but I can't find it...

I am trying to get all my chicks in a row and coming up with a backup plan in the event Diva doesn't get in to the specialty school for grades 6-12 (starting Sept 2012).

In the event we can't convince the town of her needing to be there, I will be homeschooling once again. I've been checking in to different programs.

Has anyone ever used Switched-On Schoolhouse? Pros? Cons? Would you use it again?

I am looking for something she can use at her own pace, without having to incorporate the Bible lessons. (Ex: Weaver based all other subjects on the Bible lesson of the day) -- She is currently in a Christian based-private school, but I have always had a problem with being graded in Bible. How can you be a "C" Christian? :lol:

I am also looking for something that gives the flexibility a child with learning disabilities need.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I haven't used that one. My ds used time4learning which we liked quite a bit. My 13 year old is using connections academy through the state. She is technically a public schooled student but you might look into it. Does she have an IEP? So much depends on what LD.

Reactions: Lady_V

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have used SoS for my kids. It was great in 3rd and 4th when they were learning to read and could turn on the computer voice to help read when they needed it but by 5th they wanted to go to the workbook form (Lifepacs). We have also gone to completely different Math and Science. If she doesn't have reading issues, I'd just go with the Lifepacs. They are basically the same info, more portable, and fewer technical headaches. My kids also got too many headaches from the time on the computer. Lifepacs are also easier to look back in. By the time #3 got to that level, he wanted nothing to do with the Sos.

We did like the Bible in it. The teacher also has the power to "turn off" the tests so they are not being graded in it.

Reactions: Lady_V

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Granola, you bring up a good point about all the computer time.

She needs 1:1 instruction and go at her own pace... being able to go back when needed. She also struggles with English (reading, comprehension, spelling, etc) and math. Maybe I will look in to SOS for those subjects and workbooks for science and social studies/geography.

Are the LifePac lessons parent directed or are they student led?

I know she can do workpages and workbooks without a problem. I worry that her comprehension issues will get in the way and forget what she learned at the end of the lesson.

Is there midterm/final testing or is it completed chapter?

I actually took courses in Developmental Disabilities and Early Education in college... but I think her learning differences are beyond what I could do solo, so I need a strong program to help me help her.

I just don't want to fail as her teacher!

·
Registered
906 Posts
The Lifepacs are pretty much the same as Sos only they are 100% workbook format. There are 10 workbooks per grade with 3-4 quizzes and a final in each book. The SoS does have some imbedded movies and animations but it really doesn't offer much more in terms of instruction than the workbook. I can go to Sam's and get much nicer history videos for less money. Even freebies like Youtube would more than make up for technology.

Lifepacs can be 100% self paced or the parents can take control (like the Sos). They are completely flexible. For my kids, we start a unit on Monday and take the quiz on Thursday. The end of pac test will come on a Monday of the next week. That works best for us. Others do X# pages a day. That works great too. You can set them up any way you want.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is she high school age?
Not yet - she starts 5th grade today. I am gathering information for 6th grade.

Thank you for the information... she will be in High School eventually!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I started the twins in highschool early. One child wanted to be done before he was 16. He wanted to go to college in Egypt (wanted to be an Egyptologist). We started him when he was 12. We started the other twin when he was 13. The oldest was doing the work and DH and I was looking at the work going, "there is nothing in here that the twins can't do".

·
Registered
217 Posts
i use the same program for my ds as dd's school uses- Ace paces they are religious based but I don't purchase the bible ones for ds, and i don't make him learn bible verses monthly like dd's school (he went two yrs there and hated it). check out pennywiselearning.com (think it's now christianbooks.com) will save some$$$ they have several programs there. these books are aptly named paces as it allows the child to move at their own learning pace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts