Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a question for you all. I wrote in on the veranda thread telling that I had found the house I want. That is true for the most part, because of the money. Anyway there is another house that I would love to have. It is an old farm house with 2 bedrooms down stairs and mind you I have only peeked in the windows, the upstairs in unfinished. The house is $600 a month. Now here is the catcher. The house sits on 22 acres of mostly pasture land and has a large barn, shed/chicken coop and a can house. But the woman wants $1000 a month for it all. Which is more than we can afford. My husband could cut the hay and sell it and could probably make the difference, but to depend on that is scary. Now after all of that here is the question. Do any of you make money off of your land? If so how? If I knew we had 2 or 3 things I wouldn't be scared. I don't know that this is even an option, but I am just wondering.
Thanks, Jeanna;)

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
There are ways to make money off your land. You could board horses but you would have to have proper fencing, barn or facility for horses to get in out of the elements especially in winter, running water to barn and hay for winter months when they aren't on pasture. You could sell the hay but you would have to figure out how many bales you could get off of the land and what people charge for the hay. If you don't have a tractor, haybine and wagon you would have to rent from another farmer. I keep saying "but", I am not trying to discourage you, just getting you to take into account all the expenses. Something we are doing this year is market gardening on a small scale and see how it goes. You could have a large garden and that would reduce your grocery bill. These things are seasonal except the horses so you would also have to take that into account.

You could have chickens for eggs and you could also get chicks and raise them for meat. Again you would have to figure out feed costs and price per pound you would get in your area when they were ready.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck with whatever you decide.If I think of more I'll post.

:smball:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
It sounds like heaven BUT........there are a lot of things to look at. Making money off your land is hard work and your not guaranteed anything when it comes to making money. Your always at someone else's goodwill, kwim.

I know your trying to cut expenses and renting at $1,000.00 a month is a lot of money especially when you have other debts.

Calico is right, there is always ways to try to make money - not all are successful though.

Is there anyway you can just rent the house for awhile and then look at possibly renting all of the land next year? Is there any guarantee that you'll make up that extra $400.00 every month, or will you just be getting yourselves into more trouble. There are so many "ifs" and "buts" here, that you'll need to really make it a matter of prayer and give it much thought before you step into it.

Whatever you decide, I hope you find whats best for you in the situation your in.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Heather, I should have been more clear. My husband is in a hay field tonight cutting hay. He has a tractor and all the impliments. We are not new to the farm life. We have had many horses over the years. We raise beef cattle still. I have raised goats in the past, which is my favorite animal on the farm. We had chickens until last fall, when something got into the coop and killed them, we didn't replenish because we are still not sure what we are going to do. We are having 6 pigs delivered next week to raise for the market hog program at the fair in Sept. We will have a hog for the freezer, the kids will show theirs and then sell them for spending money. and then we will sell one to cover the cost of raising them, the other will be clear money. I have taken the master gardeners classes and we raise a garden every year, which I can and freeze. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. I do apprecieate the things you brought to my attention.
Homestead Mama, You are definitely right about not going into anymore debt. I wouldn't even be thinking of this if it wasn't for my husband. My kids and I would settle into the house in town just fine, but my husband is a farmer and will always be a farmer. I have had him give up so much for me, I guess I am just worried that living in town might kill his spirit.
Again Thanks everyone please write and tell me anything you do or have done and it didn't work.
Thanks, Jeanna

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Jeanna I see where your coming from. I can certainly understand your feeling that his spirit might die in town. What a hard decision to make.

A suggestion - is there any way the lady might bring that price down, even a couple hundred dollars. It might then be easier to come up with $200.00 extra each month, rather than the $400.00.

Is there anyway you can barter with her some of the rent money? Maybe fresh veggies or canned goods for some of the rent. Fresh pork....

I have a close friend who sold eggs and did really well. Then a mink got into her barn and killed all her chickens. She ended up by being without chickens all last fall and this spring and then had the added expense of purchasing all new chicks this spring.

In our case, although we don't live on a farm, we live in a small rural town and call ourselves homesteaders, we sold woodworking (crafts) and made $$ to help us out financially. The hard part wasn't in the work itself, it was in people not wanting to pay what it was worth. That why I say your always at someone else's goodwill.

I'll be praying that God will give you clear direction in making this decision.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Homestead mama, Thanks for all of the advice and wisdom. We made the final decision to take the house in town for now. We still have 5 acres here below where we live and another couple where his mother lives. So maybe things will be ok. The woman who has the house with all the land won't budge. She even thinks whoever moves in should do the upkeep and her not take anything off the rent. Maybe in a few years we can find a small house with some land, but right now we need to get ourselves straightened out. I hope to have my disablity started in the next year, so things will work out if I will keep my hands off of it and let God lead me/us.
Again Thanks, Jeanna:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts