Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2007/03/20/3790404.html

Today on the news they reported the case had been filed as a homicide...the ninth of the year already. Nine!! In 2005, Edmonton had 44 homicides, the most per capita of any city in Canada. In 2006, there were 41. What is going on in this city? I lived there for four years and I never even worried about the crime rate, but this seems extremely high to me. Nine people murdered and we aren't even three months into 2007? And this in a city of only 730,000 people!

Does this seem high to anyone else? What are homicide rates like in your cities?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Well, we are 1/4 of the way through the year. So at the current rate of 9 every 3 months, that's 36 for the year. No higher than in the past. A bit lower each year even.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
We in america are kind of hard hearted about homicide. We hear of it daily. I myself can understand why you are in awe of how bad it is getting. I live in a small town and up until about 4 or 5 years ago we had no murders. Well we would have one about every 8 to 10 years. Now we have 2 or 3 a year. As a matter of fact for a town of about 12000 we now have members of a major gang--can't remember the name but it is one of the nationwide gangs. We are kind of a stop off of drugs between Florida and New York. So even small towns are not immune.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts