Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:ponder:
Ladies
I will be 43 in January. I am now really starting to notice a change in myself. First of all, I have gained about 10 lbs in the last 2-3 yrs. although my diet hasn't changed any. I do exercise some, but apparently not enough.
I occasionally have insomnia, about once a week. I have been really sensitive lately about my weight, any gray hairs, and this is not my normal affect. Normally I kinda go with the flow, but I have been really sensitive lately. today I am really weepy.
I am sure these are hormonal changes. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yep I'm with you. I'm 42 and I'm noticing alot of changes in my body.Weight,skin,hair. Emotions.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I too have noticed alot of changes. I have gone gray many years ago and color my hair. I stopped a while back and decided to grow old gracefully. :laugh: occasionally I am very weepy and sad then bam I am laughing! Strange. I have a difficult time losing weight and my skin has really turned dry and flaky. My skin has ALWAYS been oily. Yep, I say it is hormonal. Definitely. :hugz:

Reactions: lisaflex

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
I got my gray hairs about 10 years before you, and the sleeplessness has been ongoing most of my adult life, so don't feel too bad. You're late to the party. :)

You can get melatonin in the vitamin aisle. Try 1-3 mg at first, taken at bedtime, or when you realize you're going to be awake all night. Adults naturally loose the ability to produce melatonin as they age.

Melatonin is made by the brain when it gets a dose of seratonin, which forms in the brain when you eat a combination of protein and carbohydrates. This is why you get sleepy after turkey and stuffing. A bedtime snack of crackers and peanut butter or cheese might help.

Are you sure your diet has not changed? Really? Not a serving or a few extra bites? A few more carbs or a little extra sugar? I ask because I found the difference for me between gaining weight and keeping my weight stable is as little as 1 soda a day.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
:ponder:
Any advice?
Ummmmm.........how about......:whistle: warn your friends? :laugh:

A test called the FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) will tell you what is going on.........just a little blood drawn, but they can tell you where you are at with the changes.

Vit. E is supposed to help...........and a couple others that I forgot!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice.
I already watch what I eat- but I guess I will really try to keep a good tab on it over the next couple weeks. I already only drink diet soda but will cut it out completely for awhile.
I can sometimes take benadryl and it makes me sleep, but sometimes it doesn't work at all.
I will try the melatonin and see if it helps.
Why do women always get the short straw????
yep- it sucks. The only good thing is that I had an endometrial ablation a year ago and haven't had a cycle since then- that's about the only good deal that I have been able to get.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Thanks for all the advice.
I already watch what I eat- but I guess I will really try to keep a good tab on it over the next couple weeks.

I can sometimes take benadryl and it makes me sleep,
Keep track of the food so you will know what is making it worse.......some foods will do that.......for some people. When you start the hot flashes is when this becomes really important........unless you decide you can tolerate the hot flashes.

Also, I have used Unisom, when needed for sleeping........doesn't seem to give the 'hangover' effect that some of the others do.........there is also a tylenol PM but I didn't like that.

·
27,948 Posts
The only good thing is that I had an endometrial ablation a year ago and haven't had a cycle since then- that's about the only good deal that I have been able to get.
Wasn't getting that done just the best? One of the best decisions I ever made too.
One thing that really helps me with all these changes is getting out in the fresh air and walking. Don't need to be a power walker, just moving, breathing & relaxing. It's good for your mind body & soul. You can really feel all that tension just work itself out of your bod.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had the endometrial ablation and it didn't do anything for me. It was in July of this year. I've not noticed a big change at all. I have the hot flashes and have been doing that for a couple of years. I just turned 44. I also have the dry skin and my hair is not as thick as it use to be. Some nights I don't sleep well at all. Hugs to you.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I gained 15# in a winter and had a storm of flashes.I left the windows open all 1 winter because i was my own furnace. I would soak the sheets and have very sweaty feet. Mood swings made me think I was going crazy. I would have all the period symptoms but no finish. I used to wake up every night at 3a.m.

It's nice not having a period or worrying about getting pregnant. The symptoms will subside eventually. Get the FSH test (as another poster suggested) to rule out another type of hormone imbalalnce,thyroid etc.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to my OB/GYN last week for annual. She ordered some lab work to check my thyroid due to my concern about the weight gain....
I had a message on my ans machine from her nurse today. I am hoping it is good news- that my thyroid isn't working as well. That's not great news, but better than any other news she can tell me since I had the usual tests pap and mammo. I will keep my fingers crossed.
More to come...

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Definately stay away from soda and as much processed foods as you can. I really think all the fake sugars and chemicals really do a number on our bodies. Exercise is really important. Keep your body moving as much as you can. If I stop exercising for a couple of days I can really feel it. If you can walk quickly you will really feel the benefits plus get the much needed sunshine.

I have also noticed if I eat a lighter dinner I will sleep alot better at night.

Before you go to bed try some deep breathing exercises to help get used to being and feeling relaxed. I notice alot of times that I am breathing around my shoulders when I wake up in the middle of the night and not breathing from my stomach.

It really can be annoying when you body decides to do its own thing and you have little control.

Right now I have to get back to my normal eating routine. Can't wait until the holidays are over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.