Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love hostas. Hostas in the ground and hostas planted in pots. Hostas hostas everywhere. LOL
I bought tons of hostas to plant in the yard (not planted yet) and now I see some hostas sprouting up here from the previous owners. I counted 20 so far. :D They all need to be divided, so I am sure I can get at least double that. :D The hostas planted are all the same though. (bummer)
Anyone else love hostas? What is the addiction?
Check out all these varieties:
http://hostalibrary.org/ :eek:

I'm so excited my backyard has shade just for the hostas. :D

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Sara, I love hostas too but have never had a place where its shady. Even at this place, all my flowerbeds are out in the sun, no shade whatsoever.

If I had a shady area, I'd have lots of hostas too.

My neighbour in the city use to grow them and they were so neat. She had a huge spruce tree that they had cut the bottom limbs off and had lots of shade in the front of her home just for hostas. She'd cover them every year so that the frost wouldn't get them.

·
27,948 Posts
I think they are wonderful because they add so much and you have to give them so little except to sit back & watch them grow. There are so many varieties that will grow even if you mow over them several times. On our property there used to be a summer house till we had it burned down after the flood of '96. After many mowings they are still coming up. You can divide, divide to your hearts content and they will grow.:)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dug out 10 so far to divide. I put them in Zachary's Little Tikes sandbox, so I can add water and get the soil off of them. hehe
I think I can get around 30 new plants from these 10. (not single eyes, but each plant having at least 3-5 eyes) :D

I'm all excited. Can ya tell? LMAO
I have been looking at all the varieties of hostas online and am loving some of them so much. I love the really large lush ones, but I saw some miniature hostas online that were so sweet. Hurray Spring is here. I can hardly stand it. LOL

http://www.frugalvillage.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=177&papass=&sort=1&thecat=

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought of another reason I love hostas. There's frost this morning and some of my hostas are dug out and in the sandbox, but will still live even with low temperatures. :D

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have several hostas in my yard as well. Very easy to grow as I am not the best gardener. LOL! But, the hostas always do well for me. :)

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I love them too. Hostas and Hens & Chicks. :)

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Sara,
I love hostas too. They are one of my favorites in the yard. When we moved to the farm, I dug a lot of mine up from town and moved them out here and then went out and bought more. They grow so well here because of the all the shade. Glad to hear that you are a hostamama too. LOL

Pat

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Did you know there's like 300 varieties of Hostas?

In back of my house- it's lightly wooded- so I want to make paths going into the woods with flowers on either side of the paths. I have a nice little grove of hemlock trees I want to fill in with Hostas. DH is a Hosta nut- so I know he'll really enjoy having that.

Laura

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
we have lots of hastas too!! my mom has so many, she can't even count them!!;) she buys and trades them. have you ever been to the site "dave's garden?" she goes there a lot!! and then there's the old "garden web forum." i will try to post some pics of our hostas soon!! they are looking beautiful right now!!:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts