Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW!!!

There's a Hostess thrift store across town from me -- I've been there a few times over the years, but it's on the other side of town, not convenient to anyplace else I go, so I've never made the effort to go consistently.

Shame on me!

I went yesterday and got 5 loaves of whole wheat bread for $1 each, 4 loaves of "light" bread (lower carbs for my diabetic hubby) for $1.10 each, and 4 packets of donut holes as a treat for the kids for $.25 each. Grand total of $10.40, and enough bread to last 3 weeks!!

We're big bread eaters around here, so this is going to be a definite must for me from now on.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow that's awesome, great work! :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
We have one of these about 5 blocks from our apartment......and yes they have good deals aplenty! My hubby really likes the potatoe rolls.....and this place is a must when needing to take items to get togethers.

I am always surprised it isn't very busy. Its 2 blocks from Safeway....why would you want to pay $4 for a loaf of bread that you can pay $1.50 for????And most of the stuff in our area store isn't day old either. The girl who works the front told me they have 4 trucks a day of fresh stuff coming in.

I say this place is a good thing : )

leezza

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Wow, you did great. I have one of those close by me. I haven't gone in a long time. Thanks for bringing this up as I will definitely be making a trip there soon.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You did great!

There's one by the school where I teach. I have always called it the bread store, last week I heard a kid call it the doughnut store. My dad loves the little pies, I always buy them for him there.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Way to go!!

We used to have one, but they closed it down and I sure miss it!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I only buy our bread at the bread store. For less than $5 I can buy us enough bread for the month, and that's with the countless PB&J sandwiches Isabel & Ingrid eat like they're going out of style. ;) I think our store is a Hostess but I can't remember right now.

·
Registered
848 Posts
We have one and I love going for bread and treats. I usually get enough to last us about 2 months, I guess it is about time for me to hop over there.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Our Hostess bread store closed years ago but now it's together with Butternut bread. Prices are good, but our Aunt Millie's/Schafer bread store is much better, so we go there. They have a 39 cent table where I have purchased bagels, english muffins, donut holes, dinner rolls (not brown and serve), wheat bread, pitas and hamburger/hotdog buns. Raisin bread is 99 cents. SO likes to get their whole grain bread and it's only $1.25 or something like that. Plus they always have 'incentive' packages where if you spend $5 you get a 'goodie' bag for 50 cents or something. The 'goodie' bags usually have 5 items or so, including a couple loaves of bread and some treats. so we get one. It's not as convenient as the Butternut/Hostess store but we only make about one trip and hit the bread store, our favorite Save-A-Lot, then can hit another grocery store and Kmart.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
No fair! I want one of those near me! :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I drive by a bread store every time I go to town, but it's located directly next to a really seedy public housing project, so I've never stopped. This thread has got me interested though!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Waah. We had one of these about 2 blocks from my mom's house and I LOVED it. Wednesday was "Bargain Day" and you got discounts on the already super low prices. They closed it down about 6 months ago. I miss it. The only other discount bakery I can find is in The Woodlands, about an hour and 15 minutes from where I live.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
We have a couple in the town where I work. You can really get some great deals at them. :)

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I have one across town. The bread there is cheap but I can get it cheaper at aldis. I do like there little pies, and snacky things so I will get a couple if I am in the area.

Katy

·
Registered
282 Posts
We use to have one also, but they closed awhile ago. I miss it alot. I used to go one a month and stock up on everything.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Another thing that we used the bargain bread stores for when my kids were young was to buy bread to take to the parks with the duck ponds and let the kids feed the ducks with the bargain bread. It was 4 loaves for $1 when my kids were young and I could buy them each a loaf they had a wonderful time feeding the ducks, it was great frugal fun for them and great Mommy memories were made for me. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts