Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot Italian Giardiniera

Recipe Description
A really good sweet, spicy giardiniera. DH says he's never found a store bought one that compares.​
Preparation Steps:
Cut up peppers, carrots, onions, celery & cauliflower. Place in large bowl and add salt & water to cover. Cover with lid or seran wrap and place in fridge overnight (I usually only soak them for 4-5 hours...but the recipe calls for overnight).​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
Total - overnight​
Ingredients:
2 bell peppers
2 red peppers
8 jalepeno peppers
2 carrots
2-3 onions
2 stalks of celery (optional)
1/2 cup raw cauliflower (optional)
1/2 cup salt
water

Liquid:
8-8 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 TBS oregano
2 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups olive oil​
Serves:
6 pints​
Directions:
Drain salt water from veggies. Pack veggies into 6 sterile pint jars. In a seperate container, mix chopped garlic, oregano, red pepper, black pepper, vinegar and oil. Mix well with whisk. Pour into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headroom.

Wipe rims, place lids on and process in water bath for 15-20 minutes. Remove and cool, be sure that lids have "popped". If any don't pop, put into fridge and use within 2 weeks.​

·
Registered
632 Posts
Oooh thank you for sharing this! I've been trying to think of what I can do with some of the cauliflower I planted. I am definitely giving this a try when the veggies are ready.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
oh.....thank you this sounds so good!

·
27,948 Posts
Yum, thanks for the recipe! I have a recipe for a winter pasta salad that uses a jar of this and it's a bit pricey in the stores.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts