Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember, but a friend of mine, who owns a painting company is wanting to expand to exteriors. As a demo, she wants to paint our house for free.

Hubby and I are not agreeing over house colors. He wants white house, black shutters. I do not. Driving up and down our street there are PLENTY of white houses with black shutters. I think we need curb appeal.

So what color is your house? Do you like it? What colors would you paint it if you could?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ahhhh. To have a house in a non HOA community and to have the freedom to do anything I wanted with the exterior, LOL. Here it's all stuccoed shades of browns and you have to get the approval of the architectural committee to do ANYTHING (and ANYTHING out of the ordinary, will be vetoed)

Since blue is my favorite colo, if it fit the style I would go for colonial blue, with white trim.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Can you post a pic of your house so we can get an idea?

My house is a creamy beige with white trim and blue shutters. I've always hated the BLUE shutters, lol! Dh was supposed to paint them sage green when we moved in 4 years ago, but the roof was too steep to get to all of them. So we put it off until we get the whole house painted. I would like the house a soft sagey green with white trim, not sure of the shutter color now. Dh wants black. :shrug2:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Our house is majority brick. Sorta of an aged brick which lots of hues. Our trim in a creamy white, the shutters and doors are a bricky/burgundy color, the bit of wood under the carport which is like siding is a taupe.

I like earthy colors with a dash of color.

Before every bit of paintable surface was white...I hated it.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
What coulur is your roof McD? And what features does the front of your house have? Another factor to consider, door/window placement and/or if you have shrubs in front of your house (against the house).

I'd vote for neutrals and earth tones but NOT white with a darker earth tone colour OR go bold for the front door and trim?

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hopefully that works. Only picture of the front of the house we have.

I think I have a compromise that I could live with, if I can get hubby on board. White house, black shutters, red door.

Like this: A Google a Day

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Our house is painted brick, yellow with white shutters, columns and trim. I like the color, it fits the style of our house and the neighborhood. The only thing I plan to change when we repaint is the shutters. I want to paint them to a shade of green or do away the shutters altogether and replace with canvas awnings.

Yellow is not for every house, but it works for ours.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
That sounds like a good compromise and would look great!

Something interesting, out here people paint their garage door the same color as the house. I like it! :)

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Um...with your compromise - wouldn't it be the same but just with the front, garage and side entry door being red? So you'd be refreshing the house and adding red doors?

I kinda like this colour scheme but theres no black for your DH :(

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ Hehehe.

Right now the trim/doors are this ugly hunter green color that I hate. Our house is aluminum siding and the white is not looking so good.

So with the compromise, we would do a white house, black trim, and red doors. Although, now that I think of it, hubby will probably pitch a fit over having eh garage door painted red. I'm not sure if I like that either.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here in the Midwest white painted houses show mildew on the exterior really quickly. When we built we went with a grayish taupe color with dark green trim.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Personally, I don't care for white houses. If we ever get two consecutive days without rain, we are painting ours a dark bluish grey.

Your house has interesting lines, I think it would look good in a historic colour. I would go colonial blue with white trim.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Personally, I don't care for white houses. If we ever get two consecutive days without rain, we are painting ours a dark bluish grey.

Your house has interesting lines, I think it would look good in a historic colour. I would go colonial blue with white trim.
We are fixing to paint ours the same shade. It is an large older barn shaped type house. Right now it is barn red but is in desperate need of an update.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Ours is gray I really like it. It very pretty with the yard and wrought iron fence. Of course I have always lived in brick homes. My neighbor has a red door on her yellow house very pretty also. Well anyhoo enjoy it is free and will be beautiful please post pics hugs pen

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
My dh is in the siding business. The trouble with dark colors is they fade and sometimes they don't fade evenly. I'm not fond of just white either. I like the beige/cream colors. We have a neighbor (my dh did not do their siding) they matched the brick with the siding and it is the best color match I've ever seen. It is a cream/beige color.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hubby is still pretty adamant about white house, black trim. He did concede on a red door as long as it's not bright red. I'll have to talk to th painter. Maybe she'll have some better ideas.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My current house is a soft tan, with white trim, chocolate brown shutters and a brick red front door.
You have to take the roof color into consideration. My roof is a medium brown.
My previous house (with a dark gray roof) was a soft gray with white trim, black shutters and a red door.
Maybe you could talk hubby into a really soft pale gray color?
It would still be very light, but not so stark as white.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts