Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to build up my slush fund for Christmas money for our oldest kids. Money will be awfully tight this year with having purchased a new van.

I'm going to begin putting all my change in a change jar from now until Dec. 20th, at which time I will divide it up and give to the oldest kids (along with a handmade gift).

I will also be checking it probably every couple of weeks, and posting the amounts here.

Anyone up for a change jar challenge?

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I already divide out our spare change 5 different ways.... vacation fund, Christmas/Birthday fund, sewing machine fund, ds's *piggy* bank, yard sale money.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I'm game, but I have to admit Gabe spends change with every transaction he makes at a store, so I don't often have a lot of change to add to the jar.

I'll join in though. Will post in every couple of weeks when you do.

Sara

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Dave and I are the other way around... he puts it in a jar to save for a rainy day and I take it out and spend it. :D
I can try... don't think I'll save much though!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I'm in! I have started this and plan to cash in once a month. I need to put a "use" to it, otherwise I will spend it. Sara, what I do is give paper money no matter what. If my total at the store is 3.03, I give them 4.00 to get the .97 change. Then I put it in my change jar. DH does this and saves about 40.00 per month, but uses it for spending money. :toothy:

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
mustang80 said:
I'm in! I have started this and plan to cash in once a month. I need to put a "use" to it, otherwise I will spend it. Sara, what I do is give paper money no matter what. If my total at the store is 3.03, I give them 4.00 to get the .97 change. Then I put it in my change jar. DH does this and saves about 40.00 per month, but uses it for spending money. :toothy:
Gabe will scramble to give the .03 LOL He has change in the car even, just in case he needs it. He's the guy holding up the line to count out exact change to give to the cashier. LOL

Sara

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I do the same thing!! LOL You're ok, Gabe! :)

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I put change in the jar, but sometimes we dip into it. Our change goes toward our vacation fund which happens every year in July.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
I'm in, but I'm not posting my totals every few weeks. I just can't count it out that often. It's my Christmas money, so I'll post totals in December.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Count me in too!

Actually I've been doing this for a few months. I have a fairly
large mason jar that is just about full!

Since I'm doing the "cash only thing" for groceries etc, after every
trip to the store I dump the change in the jar (with the exception
of about a quarter & a few pennies).

We plan to save ours for vacation money as well.

Another portion of our vacation $ is going to come from leftover
funds from budget (ex: every 2 weeks I take out $120 for
groceries, toiletries etc & if any is left over by the next payday
in the envelope, I put it in vacation fund too). It's fun watching
it grow.

Jen
it grow.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I save all my change, and do as Mustang does. No matter the amount I never give exact change. I don't really know what I am saving for, though. I will try to come up with a goal.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I think I've been behind Gabe and Sherry in the supermarket :toothy: LOL!!! It's ok...I've done it a time or two myself when I KNOW I have the 4¢...I just have to DIG for it :)
I mostly write checks though,but for some reason I have a ton of change in my purse.DH uses most of it for drinks at work (they're only 25¢ ;) ) And DD gets some for school...

I do have several penny jars.I need to count them up and cash in...to see how much I have...I just hate rolling them :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
WE have several change jars.Ds and dd have change jars for spending money at disney world.Ds gets dimes and dd gets nickles.I know he gets twice as much,but shes been saving for a whole 9 mo before him and gets an allowance each week and he doesn't(duh hes only 17 mo)We save the quarters for disney(and any spare dollars roaming in the dryer(found 2 yesterday!)Then we have one we use for dh to put his change in for our house(won't be much but hey everylittle bit helps

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
i am in too. though i wish i had paid attention this morning when i went to the library to get the book i ordered (our library charges $2. for interlibrary loan). and then to the post office i spent most of my change but i can start collecting now just a reason for it. oh christmas sounds good to me.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I am in!!! I have a change jar and I hid it way in the back of my closet (hope dh doesn't read this!!) so that nobody, ie~dh and dks can get into it!!!! I am saving for Christmas too!!:D

·
FV Buddy aka KathiBob
1,651 Posts
I have a penny jar. We have a change jar too but, it is pretty empty. We saved the change for the trip to Reno we took a couple of weeks ago. I'll start saving again now. I'll figure out something special to save for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts