Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think its time for a Simple Living challenge. I'm going to try to remember to make a different challenge every couple of weeks.

For the next 2 weeks the challenge is to change at least 3 things within us to make us better people.

So the 3 that I've chosen are:

- to look always at the positive rather than the negative. I sometimes let the negative over ride the positive.

- to be more thankful for the good things in my life

- to spend at least 15 minutes each day in quiet reflection

Who else is in and what are your 3 choices?

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I would love to do this with you CJ.

I would have to say #1 and most important is to look at the positives instead of the negatives in everything. DH tells me I always manage to find all the negatives in everything.

I don't know what my other 2 will be yet. Let me think about them and I will post them in a bit.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I would like to do this too ~ It's a real problem area for me.

I'll have to have a think and come back. If I don't I'm procrastinating so kick me! (I mean it! ;) )

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I'm in your challenge CJ...

Tonight, I will try to take the time to sit under my tree after supper, just to watch the children play...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I would really like this to carry on - it's a real biggie for me.

Anyway I'm back (obviously!)

I would like to say I'll be positive I know it's important but I'm ALWAYS negative :( and it's a real big one I just don't feel strong enough to handle at the moment (LOL - how negative was that!!!)

I appear not to be pushing myself, I know but I'm going to try not to procrastinate and that's it. That one thing is ruining my life at the moment. I'm going to bed WAY too late, getting up in the afternoon :eek: , not crafting, not doing housework, not eating, not doing my bible study, etc etc etc ~ all down to procrastinating!!!

Thing is I'm not altogether sure 'how' I'm going to work on changing it :confused:

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
What a great idea CJ! I'm in......things seem so hectic lately that I feel I need to slow down.......

I will think on my 3 challenges and get back to ya'!:smball:

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Ok I am back to post the other two.

2~Spend more quality time with my family.

3~Taking 5, 10, or 15 minutes just for me everyday.

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
I'm would like to join you too!

-I also need to work on looking for the positive instead of always seeing the negative.

-Not to get so uptight about things. I've been getting better at this but I still need to work on it.

-To hide myself away from everyone for 10-15 minutes a day for quiet time. This will be hard for me; not to hide myself away but for me to stop thinking about everything under the sun. I would like to just still my mind and reflect on God's beauty. I've tried this before and always struggle with not thinking or remembering something I needed to take care of every few seconds. Maybe I will start with 5 minutes and work up to 15.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm in! I'm going to:

1. Be more positive about every aspect of my life.
2. Try to be more understanding with dss (16) instead of being so harsh.
3. Try to stay more motivated to do my housework, gardening, plus continue selling things through ebay.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Great idea! Okay here's mine:
*I need to keep on the sunny side too. Why does it seem so much easier to be negative?

*To spend at least 30 minutes, 4-5 times a week, moving my body. I have fallen off of the exercise wagon in a major way, and I feel so much better when I do exercise.

*To connect with someone I haven't talked to in a while, just to say hello and I'm thinking about you, etc.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How is everyone doing with their challenge? Yesterday I spent a lot of time in quiet reflection and thankfulness for things all around me. It felt so good to appreciate nature has we travelled to the library, to appreciate dh for never complaining when we want to go somewhere!!

I've really not taken the time of late to reflect on nature. We have so much beauty around us, from the leaves swaying in th breeze, the birds scooping down to catch a bug, the wild flowers growing in the ditches to the fields spring forth with the beginnings of wheat. I watched the clouds above us forming the different shapes, the blue horizon with all the different hues of blue. It was wonderful to quietly reflect (even though in our van) on God's beauty.

So how goes your challenge? How about sharing with us.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
This is a challenge that i really need to be in!!!!

1. I also need to be posative and not negative

2. stop procrastinating and get something done

3. use up all the food I have hoarded before I buy more( this is a real problem for me, I am addicted to spending, and buying food is my worst area):sigh:

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Sounds like a beautiful day CJ!!:smball:

My three goals are:

1. to find a small bit of time (15 minutes) during the day to stop and do nothing, enjoy the surroundings. I have my quiet time first thing in the morning and then my feet never seem to hit the floor again until bedtime. This goal will be difficult because I somehow feel "guilty" doing this.

2. Now that school is almost out, to make an extra effort to plan activities with the children instead of just winging it for the day. Not to say that we are going to be structured all summer but to make fun, inexpensive day trips or the like.

3. Be positive, positive, positive!!:D

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
1. To be more understanding toward my dd.
2. To be more attentive to her.
3. To have a more positive attitude toward her.

She'll be 13 in November and we have been at odds with each other in the past few months. I have to remember that she is going thru alot of changes and that she needs my guidance rather than my judgement.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I would like to join this challenge too please.

My 3 will be:

1) Work on seeing the good in all people. I have noticed lately in my home life and even in my workl life, I am tending to focus on the irritating or negative aspects of my family and some of my co-workers instead of the good and the beauty inside of them. For example-DD had make a wreck of 3 rooms while trying to move herself into the next largest from her small one (her old room, DS empty room, now that he has moved out, and my sewing craft room), I will try to focus on the motivation that she has in moving things from 3 rooms and doing it mostly by herself instead of the mess she is making.

2) I will do something productive for someone else at least once per day. For example-mowing the next door neighbors front yard when I mow mine, it is only a small amount more to mow and I know she would appreciate it.

3) Spend some time each day writing one nice thing about every family member in my journal.

This is a great challenge CJ, you are so talented, you always come up with the most wonderful ones. They really help make me a better a person.

You are such a blessing to our Village, you are truly a gift from God :angel2: .

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just checking to see how everyone is doing with this challenge? Care to share your thoughts and how its going?

btw Kathybird, thanks for those kind words.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Well ~ my biggest problem was/is procrastination. The only time I seem to get on with anything is under extreme presure!

I've made lots of cards today (so that IS good) but only because my friends here have been kind enough to nag me!

I mean this is something to hopefully benefit me and my family and I STILL can't just get on and do it by my own motivation!

I don't know what the problem is either?? I'm really going to have to give this some SERIOUS thought!

It's a bit depressing ~ I feel like a child.

Hopefully I will improve things, but I'm not sure how yet :confused:

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm kind of with Bev - I'm a big procrastinator. Attitude-wise I'm doing well (I think). I just need to stay motivated!

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
I'm trying really hard to see the postive in things. I know a few times I caught myself responding in a negative way and changed my outlook quickly. As much as in feel I've improved, I know there's still lots of room for improvement. I know I blew it once so far and gave ds a piece of my mind. I still think he deserved it but I guess that's not the point.

I think that being aware and trying to always see the good instead of the bad has made me a happier and more content person. Dh says I'm more laid back and I don't get so uptight. At least he notices :D

Haven't done too well with the quiet reflection time but I still have been taking some "me" time. I've starting my cross-stitching again and I've also been spending quite a bit of time reading. I think I need to write myself a big reminder note to spend some quiet time otherwise I just forget.

How's everyone else doing?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I "caught" myself in the middle of negativity too. I was taking laundry out of the dryer, and I think my dryer must have some design flaw. The lint trap is at the bottom when you open the door, it doesn't fit well, and was over-flowing, making a mess in my floor. So here goes me, "I hate this stupid dryer!" But, and big BUT here, I immediately said no, I thank you Lord, that I have this dryer, there are a lot of people who need a dryer and would love to have one, even if it did leak lint everywhere.

And that got me to thinking about my grandmother, who didn't have a dryer at all. I can remember her hanging clothes outside in the winter time to "freeze dry" . When she brought the clothes in they were frozen all out of shape, so when they "thawed out", almost everyone of them would have to be ironed. Ugh! Bless her heart! I miss her so much sometimes it hurts! Sorry this is so long, but this was one good example that I've had this week, of getting rid of that "stinking thinking":)

Anyone else?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts