Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on Yahoo this morning that gas supplies are pretty much gone, and most store shelves are bare on the east coast. I feel sorry for those people out there that are unprepared, but at the same time, this justifies why I prepare.
It feels so good to know that barring total devastation, I am ready for just about anyhting.
If any of you or your relatives are in the path of the hurricane, my prayers are with you!

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
I can never understand why people buy milk and bread (what is always mentioned in the news stories) _ are they planning to make bread pudding during the storm? both will go bad without refrigeration. How come you never hear about people stocking up on canned goods? makes more sense.

T

·
0 Posts
I'm in central MA too. We still have power, although there's a bit of power outages around here.

I do feel for people that aren't prepared, but I also feel that you can't prepare for everything. Some places that never get snow are going to get 5 feet. People that are used to snow are getting flooding instead. Heck, we're pretty prepped for a hurricane or blizzard, but not for a wildfire.
I mean, it's awesome that you're prepared, but try not to rub it in the faces of people facing weather that is totally out of the norm for their geographic area.

What irks me are the people that don't evacuate when asked. Seriously - if the weather that bad that the government is asking you to leave, just leave already!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Agree, Telephus. It's just wrong to expect people to risk their lives rescuing those who were told to evacuate and chose to stay. It's not like this came up in fifteen minutes and they didn't have time to go. And it's not like they couldn't look at the maps showing that monster and see for themselves it was too dangerous to stay.

You can prep all you want to, but if your stuff is stored in the basement or on the first floor and your house floods or gets destroyed, you will lose a ton of money on ruined food, plus all those supplies won't do you any good. It's not going to help if you have to leave, either, because chances are you'd take more important things with you.

I read a post once by someone in FL who insisted they would not leave their home because they had "pride of ownership." I never have figured out how that would stop a hurricane or save their lives.

I was wondering if places like West Virginia normally got much snow. That seems like a lot of snow for some of the places out there to get all at once.

I also wondered how crazy the governor of North Carolina is to be talking about skiing in the mountains there on Wednesday. She said that was the silver lining to the storm. :rolleyes: Does she seriously think roads will be passable and all the aftermath of power failures and everything else her state is enduring will be taken care of the day after a storm like that? Talk about someone out of touch!

T

·
0 Posts
I'm not in West Virginia, but I can remember taking a trip to Washington DC in high school in Feb and they got 2 inches of snow. They canceled school for a week and declared a state of emergency. So I really can't imagine a lot of the lower mid-Atlantic being prepared the kind of snowfall that they are predicting.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
We had a three or four inch snowfall here a couple days ago as this low was making its way east, and we hardly noticed. It's funny how different things are in different places where they are unprepared for it.

I have friends in Bridgewater, MA, and they are in my thoughts tonight. She is a nurse and he is a cop, so I don't know if one or both of them are having to work through the storm.

I know WV has mountains, so maybe some areas know how to deal with snow. Two feet of heavy, wet snow can cave in roofs and take down whole forests full of trees, so that alone could cause all kinds of havoc, even without the wind.

I just hope everyone comes through okay. It's going to be days or weeks just to get all the transportation back up and running, and that's if there's no serious damage. What a mess.

·
2,688 Posts
I can never understand why people buy milk and bread (what is always mentioned in the news stories) _ are they planning to make bread pudding during the storm? both will go bad without refrigeration. How come you never hear about people stocking up on canned goods? makes more sense.
I don't understand some news stories either.
I did buy bread and milk yesterday. It was a normal monday shopping day for me. My routine.
One cashier at the one grocery store I was in, had this looking down at me attitude in her voice. Like it's people like you , who are doing last minute stocking up, was what she told me.
And I came right back at her...with.....I am not stocking up....I have been stocked up for quite some time....I am doing normal shopping, and yes I am topping off a few things. My truck was at the 3/4 point and yes I bought more before I did any shopping. What I bought at the store when she mouthed off, was 8 cans of broth. That was my total purchase. After returning 30 cans of canned peas that I bought last week on sale, that were terrible. At the Dollar Store, I bought 24 cans of corn yesterday, 1 gallon of milk, and 2 loaves of bread. Nothing out of the ordinary. I was waiting on a smart remark about the corn and got nothing.
On Sunday, we were in our Super Walmart and yes the shelves were bare of gallon jugs of water. I did buy a few gallon jugs of the baby water in that department. Water is water. And I had a good size bag of puppy dog food, and 4 boxes of what the old dog likes. Some guy we know was picking on us, about the gallon jugs of water and dog food. Like I told my hubby later, we are now stocked real good for winter.
We got a lot of strong wind here and some rain yesterday. Some power outages, and some trees down. Nothing major in our immediate area. We were lucky the worst of it, missed us. The highway trucks are ready to plow snow. And hubby's crew had to be in at 4 am this morning to check road conditions.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I don't think snow is out of the ordinary for West Virginia, the mountains are quite high, for the region and a lot of skiing and winter sports go on there.

Washington DC is a whole other animal, major city, lots of streets and traffic and no place to put the snow.

Obviously I'm not on the east coast, but from what I'm seeing reported the damage is a lot less than they were hyping it up to be. Still, there's sure to be a huge media circus as soon as it is safe to travel more.

Stay dry everyone.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm one of those that would buy the bread and milk. I would freeze little bags of milk in my freezer for longer use if I didn't have availability of dry ice for a chest-type cooler. I love my milk! As for bread...PB&J sandwiches, Spam sandwiches, tomato sandwiches, those little jars of cheese spread...I could live a few days on that stuff. Now coffee...that would be my biggest sticking point.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Why would bread go bad without a refrigerator? I could see that if people are buying a dozen loaves to use over the next month without freezing it, but it should keep for a week or so. It'll be stale, but at least it's food. I'm sure a lot of people use PBJ as an emergency sandwich since kids like it and it doesn't need refrigeration, so that would make sense that people would buy bread.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
J -also depends on when the storm is. I use my garage in the winter w/ storage tubs. We call it our hill billy refridge. As long as it doesnt sit on the ground we store milk,eggs,veg,cheese, Mice cant get in and I save electricity.
We buy bread cheap that way all the time. First use normally,them french toast,then dog treats. As long as its not moldy. kwim?
oh and I have never refridged bread in my life. Unless we are talking tortillas.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I think a lot of people stock up on stuff they think they are going to need in a few days, because they don't want to have to go out after the storm has started. They might be thinking, I'll need milk and diapers on Friday, but with this storm coming I better get it now because the roads will be flooded/snowed in/blocked by trees. They're not thinking about having 4 gallons of milk in the fridge if the power goes out.

Also, with big storms like this the supply chains get broken because trucks can't get through. Stores run out of stuff because the highways are closed. If you've been in a blizzard or ice storm in the south you know that even if the power is on, nothing gets through for several days until the roads can be cleared or it melts. So get it while you can.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I'm one of those that would buy the bread and milk. As for bread...PB&J sandwiches, Spam sandwiches, tomato sandwiches, those little jars of cheese spread...I could live a few days on that stuff. Now coffee...that would be my biggest sticking point.
Yep.........bread and milk is always one of my "staples" too. Sandwiches!!! Could live for awhile on them........and almost anything can go between bread. The two things I ALWAYS make sure I have when a storm is coming.

Though it wouldn't last a week here...............IN ANY KIND OF WEATHER.........it would mold too fast..........but pick it off and EAT IT if you are hungry enough!!

Agree.........you just can't plan for everything! Too many variables will happen......

Have been through enough storms here (though, not THAT severe) to know that.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Was at the store yesterday and there was more than enough bread and milk on the shelves. Only thing not out was the pre-cooked foods and salad bar. If you have a family especially with kids or teens it is alot easier to make sandwiches especially if you need to stay inside for a couple of days. Fortunatey do not live on the coast on nj but inland.

Fortunately the power is on although the cable is still out. Just seeing bits and pieces on the internet.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Shoiji, check your local TV news and newspapers' websites. I'm sure they're filing stories and pics pertinent to your area, even if the power is out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts