Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I can see out of my windows again!

Because of the way the community parking lot is plowed, all the snow is piled on the side of the building... where our bedroom windows are! :mad:

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
You don't realize how much wood it takes to heat a home until you have a wood stove. We had wood heat when I was in high school. Pretty good during the day... no heat at night, brr!

I know spring is coming:
1. because the calendar says so :)
2. the numbing cold has eased up
3. my crocuses are up!
4. it was *70* on Sunday!

I know spring is not quite here yet because: there is 4" of snow on my car right now and it's still coming down.

·
Super Moderator
20,714 Posts
So many signs of spring here.

The snow smells different now.
Most days are above freezing.
The heat pump runs most days, instead of burning propane.
The sun has heat in it.
The fish houses are off the lake ice.
Everyone's car is the same color.
Water drips off the roofs almost continuously.
Gardening and camping merchandise has arrived in the stores.
Snowplows have stopped going past.
Ducks have been sighted on the river, which has some open water.
Geese have been seen flying north.
The deer are skinny.

·
Registered
50 Posts
my freezer is almost empty. I try to stock up as much as possible during the summer and fall so that I don't have to take my kids out to the stores as much during cold/flu season. it's time to start filling it back up again!

my son went to the store with hubby yesterday wearing flip flops. he despises socks AND shoes, so that was a real treat for him.

dd has started sneezing already. she has terrible allergies and the pollen seems to get worse every year.

highs are supposed to be in the low to mid 70's Wed. thru Sat. WOOT!! will be raising the windows to let the fresh air in :yippee:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I had 2 pair of beautiful cardinals at my bird feeder both days this weekend. The gentleman cardinal was there this morning. I've also had two male bluebirds at my feeders the past week. My tulips and daffodils are coming up and I have a few crocuses as well.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We know spring has sprung when Frogzilla returns to our backyard. Every year when the temps start hitting the 70's again (for us that is mid to late February) a huge-a-mongo frog moves into our yard. He hangs out on the pool deck and takes a swim when it rains. In major storms you can almost see him smile as he sits in the rain.

I have no clue how long frogs live, it could be a different one each year. But, we have had a Frogzilla visit us for the past three years. Only one frog every appears, it always sits in the same spot by the pool and it is not very afraid of us or the dogs.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh another sign, I'm wiping the pets paws more so they don't track mud all through the house. :paw:

·
Registered
955 Posts
I cut back my clematis yesterday and the vines were already showing green wood inside.

I've heard the robins warbling to each other with mating calls and the canada geese are starting to pair off.

There was green basal growth on the plants I was cutting down yesterday.

The air definitely does smell different and there's a mildness in the wind these days.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
ALL my fruit trees are blooming.
The bees are out and about.
My experimental indoor tomato plant (just over a year old now) is starting to produce fruit again, after teasing me all winter with blossoms that shriveled up after opening. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.