Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so NOT a TV couch potatoe, but when a show catches me, it REALLY catches me. I've been really tired the last several weeks as I've been really anemic as an off shoot of a chronic illness and I spent an evening flipping channels (I though hubby was going to fall over as I NEVER do this). Anyway we have a small DirecTV package and there's this channel BBC America (264 here), very obviously British that runs a show at 7:30 here called How Clean Is Your House. Does anyone watch this????
Theres two ladies that go with a team to clean peoples homes that are absolutely appauling and then show them how to keep it up. Then they come back in two weeks to see how thier doing. They take swabs and send them off to be analized and everything. I think it's hysterical. They sniff everything which makes me squirm....and they have wonderful (old school, frugal) cleaning practices. I've seen lots of neat tips.
It took me a couple of times watching it as well before the difference between these overseas homes and the ones here in America hit me as well. I'll post some of what I noticed later ..... just wanted to get this out there and find out if anyone else has seen this????

I'm addicted to it I think!!!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
use to watch it here every day at noon time. I love how she gives great tips , frugally on how to keep certain things clean. I get such a kick out of them both. I cant belive how some of those houses got that way. dear god!!!! Its gross.!!!! I never eat at the same time while watching the show lol

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I've never seen the show but I really want to now, gonna check our guide to see if we get that show :)

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Some of those houses are soooo gross that I can't even watch. And that Aggie smells everything :puck: Gag!!

I try to remember that it's on at 7:30 here too, but usually forget. I catch it maybe once a week.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After I watched the first couple of episodes and moved past the EEEWWWW factor I started noticing the cleaning products they use are very natural, frugal, and mostly recyclable or recycled such as vinegar, cloth rags, old newspaper, saodawater, banana peels, baking soda, salt and lemons. If they use actual "cleaning" products it's rare. At the same time the frugal and green cleaning things aren't thrown in your face as such. It also doesn't seem to draw any attention. Another words, no one asks "Where's the comet?", "Where's the tilex soap scum spray?"
I'm starting to notice other things as well. Such as, it doesn't seem to matter wether they're in a house or small "flat" the kitchens seem to be what we consider "apartmet size" here. The refrigerators seem much smaller as well. My refridgerator is one of the smallest, cheapest ful size fridges you can buy here at an appliance store and it looks really large compared to most on the show. Which led me to pay more attention to the furnishings in general. Which all for the most part seem less elaborate then what most people here seem to have. And no one seems to be whinning that they need "new" something or other. I'll be paying close attention to this kind of stuff over the next cxouple of times i get to watch.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I love that show!!! It really gets me motivated to clean!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I haven't seen it but I will watch for it now. It sounds like an interesting show. Thanks for letting me know about it. :)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I used to watch it all the time, but I haven't seen it in a year or longer, I will have to check BBC at 7:30 and see if it's on. I used to watch it every time it came on, I love to look at other people's really awful messes and then pat myself on the back because I live much cleaner than that. I also wonder how some of those people have lived for so long in their dirty/gross house without thinking they should clean it :).

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
OHMYGOODNESS I JUST LOVE THAT SHOW!!!! My sister-in-law used to tape several episodes at a time for me (I'm too cheap to have cable :lol3:). I haven't seen it in a long time ~ but would love to see it again. I find it interesting and amazing to see how other people live. I can't believe people can live like that! It always motivated me to keep my house really clean! I just hope the people on the show are able to learn from the experience and keep their houses clean after that!!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I've heard of the show, but haven't watched it. You've got me interested.....going to have to check when it airs here :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I use to watch it, I think its a good show. I think its always interesting to see what its like inside homes from other places. I find European homes to be more basic. I like that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love that show. Some of the houses are totally disgusting. Really amazes me how the folks with kids have managed not to have them taken away.The kitchens make me the sickest. Those people cook meals in such a mess. I have never been able to cook in a dirty kitchen.

Take Care,
Susan

·
Registered
138 Posts
A couple of years ago the Lifetime channel had the show on late Monday nights (seems like it was on around 10pm or so). It was the same 2 ladies, but they went to houses in the California area. I can't believe people are willing to show their messy homes on national television.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tivo it, I can't believe anyone could live like that. Sometimes I think it is staged ,but I do get alot of great tips from it. I find the 2 ladies so funny. The bird episode was the grossest I think so far.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I just watched it a couple of days ago...LOL when they found 4 dead mice at the bottom of the stairs, under a pile of junk I thought I would die laughing when the homeowner ran over and picked them up with her bare hands. Those two ladies about fell over.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I can't watch the show, makes me sick :puke: I can't stand watching them sniffing everything and the one will actually scrape the gunk from inside of the toilet bowl with her fingernails and sniff that. YUCK!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Not sure if it still is but it used to come on lifetime also. I don't watch much tv, but when I was on bedrest when pregnant with my youngest there wasn't much else to do.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Is this the show with the two British ladies with buns atop their heads with tiaras and sporting them ballgowns to clean and inspect strangers houses? IF SO then I have seen it and its a hoot! The old school basic cleaning tips rock and everything according to them just needs extra 'elbow grease' to clean :lol:

They're a riot! :laugh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts