Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thread to keep track. Today, I planted three more eggplants that were in gallon containers. At least this heat wave is good for something. The eggplants and cucumbers are growing like monsters! I need to look at ways to preserve eggplant. I thought you could dry it in strips, but not sure how to process it for meals afterward.

Yesterday, I added some plastic storage bags and eight cans of tuna to the stockpile.

·
Registered
547 Posts
1/2 ton of compressed sawdust logs (North Idaho Energy Logs) for the winter. I usually get a ton in. Deciding whether to get the other half ton this year or take the free wood that people are offering.

Got enough jars to make it through the market season and probably for home-made holiday gifts.
(jars are hard to get here right now)

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Added 10 cans of Chef Boyardee (my guilty pleasure), and a friend of mine who has a wooded lot brought me about a cord and a half of split cedar, pine, and oak!

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
I buy canned goods each time I shop. Maybe it's one can, maybe more. Today was carrots.
I've been doing the same. Noticed some of the alternate brand dry goods going on clearance. Stuff that was brought in when the pandemic started and regular supplies weren't available. Perfectly good food, good dates, but they want it gone. Got several cans of different beans, corn, tomatoes, tuna, boxed potatoes, and soup stock today. Got 5 lbs frozen chicken on sale, too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is my emergency preparedness. It almost looks like my grandmother's too. ;-) These are all homemade canned goods: fruit, vegetables, jam, ready-made soups, ready-made meat dishes.
I also have a lot of self-harvested and dried foods: beans, lentils, fruits, nuts, plants and fruits for teas.
Dried herbs and plants and ointments as medicines
Potatoes, onions, garlic, peppers and other spices.
We won't starve to death that quickly. ;-)
We have service water in the cistern. Drinking water usually comes from the tap. In case of emergency, I have stored bottled water for 10 days.

In this way I prepared for a crisis and also made sure that I don't have to buy so much groceries in winter.

Building Shelf Food Shelving Bottle

·
Registered
132 Posts
Love your stockpile room! Mine seem quite disorganized. I need to figure out what I want to do with it.

I did add a grain mill and Coleman oven today from Amazon. They came with my monthly subscribe and save order. I’m slowly getting g there.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That is a very nice stockpile area! Love it! All I have are plastic totes!

I got 5 boxes of freeze dried emergency food from the Wise Company and a bucket of freeze dried meats. I'm ordering a solar cooler that can charge electronics. I even bought a gas generator. Nothing expensive by any stretch but I hope it works if we need it!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Sat.while doing grocery shopping added more cans peaches, fruit cocktail, green beans,chilie,paper towels,seem like there is more but can't remember now.Wanted to add more meat to freezer but can't get anything else in there until i remove more food out.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
will be hitting a caselot sale tomorrow before it ends. plus cheap purex tp. keeping more on hand since who knows if there is a second run. also at costco and they had sales on lunch snack stuff cheap so 2 64 bar boxes of granola bars and 2 40 packs of wagon wheels. 20pk of dole fruit packs.. will see how long it all lasts w kids. plus a costco pack of tp. prime rib on special so got a roast for holidays.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am planning on going to Costco again, too. I ate all of the canned fruit that I bought before the pandemic. I think I may get more dried fruit and turkey jerky this time. I still have plenty of tuna. I bought several containers of sorbet on sale at Vons last week. It tastes so delicious in this hot weather we're having in Southern California. I also picked up some Ragu spaghetti sauce, balsamic vinegar, lemonade, dog food, and dog biscuits for my stockpile.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
I probably ought to pick up more canned fruit myself. I want a couple cans of peaches for a cobbler, plus mandarins for spinach salad, and pineapple for sweet-and-sour pork. And the holidays are coming.

Today was expensive, but I bought the largest size bag of cat food they had, the largest bottle of real vanilla I could find, and several pounds of meat on sale. Got bacon, bacon wrapped turkey, chubs of gr beef and gr pork. Added some easy-cook flavored rice and noodles to the pantry.

With cold weather coming I need to get DH to finish the ice cream so I can use the space for something we'll want.

Reactions: ermadunk

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I also added some rague and some cleaning supplies and masks 2 big things of lysol wipes. today went pay some bills so i got more dw liquid and vinegar for stock pile but what i was needing was rinse aid jet dry and they never had none.Maby i will have everything together before bad weather.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked up some more paper towels and I also planted about 23 ginseng roots. They won't be ready to harvest for five or so years, but everyone has to start somewhere! My plan is to plant about 20 every year and hopefully *eventually* use it as part of my retirement hobby income.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'm jealous of the storage room. :) One of the downsides of living in an apartment. I do need to reorganize my pantry, get rid of old stuff and put up the newer stuff. Then I can decide what I need to stockpile - mostly dried goods and ready made soups, although I prefer the pre-made, store in the fridge soups I found, since they have lower sodium content.

Also need to get rid of old frozen stuff and restock the fridge.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
ended up ordering online from local chain ..could pick up but free delivery my coffee went up on amazon so looked there and on sale. .
got 2 months worth of kcups. plus a sale on tp etc buy $40 get $10 store gift card. so added tp and kleenex and fh. they had wipes so got some too. limit 1 most stores don't have them. free choc bar also lol plus couple cans of tomatos and coffee for dh.

so now have at least 3 mth supply of tp etc. there are sales this week on black beans and some other things I need so will get that too.

·
Super Moderator
20,207 Posts
Martha, you can get refillable cups for K cup coffee makers. Then buy any type of coffee you like and refill and reuse. Some people reuse the single use cups, too. Not sure of details, but I bet Pinterest knows. I'm guessing buying a cannister of coffee for refills would be lots cheaper than buying the little cups.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
sp I know lol and have them just can't be bothered. dh drinks medium and I drink the darkest available barista prima italian roast. we have coffee makers etc which if we have parties we use. or my little perolators for camping. once we had a keurig... mine makes a strong 16oz cup which I using have 2. mine you can get on sale sometimes but his I can get lots of diff types. he is drinking the half price nabob 55 pack I got $12

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cleaned out and reorganized my fridge and freezer. Got another 6 bottles of d/w liquid and laundry soap, as well as 16 cans of Chef Boyardee (my guilty vice) to get me through the winter!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts