Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually go to these 2 sites Fantastic Fiction
Good Reads
I then head to my library site to see if they have it on their shelves or can request it for me. I especially love the fantastic fiction site because I can easily see what the author wrote and can follow my favorite series in order. Also like the recommendations that are at the bottom of the page as it sometimes turns me on to another author I haven't heard of.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'll browse our library's website for my favorite authors and then visit the library for fiction or non-fiction that tickles my fancy. If I hear of a book that interests me, I'll put in a request for it. They notify me by email when it arrives. Easy peasy.

I always leave with a bunch of books and seldom choose duds.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I love the library. Seriously, I never fail to get the warm fuzzies just walking in there. Lately, I have had good luck perusing the "staff recommends" shelf at the library.

But also, I keep a running "to read" list on my phone notepad. I enter anything that I come across that sounds good (friend's recommendations, message boards, magazine articles, etc.). That way, I always have something to look for when I go to the library. I also use the hold request system extensively.

Lifelong reader,
Kara

P.S. Right now, I am reading _The Autobiography of Henry VIII, with notes from his Fool, Will Somers_ by Margaret George and I am really enjoying it. On deck: _The Help_ which I think everyone but me has already read.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I use the library for a lot of my books and book research. I also use amazon to look things up.

But my main book site is Goodreads and I love Paperbackswap.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I usually get books from the library. My library also has a huge selection of e-books I can read on my computer. I don't buy many books. Any, that I do buy, are second-hand.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I get books at the library or I also have a friend who bought alot of paperback she lets me read them. I use GoodReads.com also it keeps track of the books that I've read and ones that I want to read.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Well I can't remember the last time I bought a book so I must be doing something right. I usually go home to visit my mom onec a year and she always sends me to her attic( I call it my own private store) to go through her yardsale things. The last 2 years I have brought home about 20 books each trip. Then there is the library. I also read for free at work because the 3rd shift girl buys books at yardsales. We trade off. My MIL gave me several books when they moved 5 years ago. I will not turn down a book to read.

Cat

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Most of my books come from goodwill or second hand bookstore.
I pass them along to friends and coworkers who in turn let me borrow books. I have certain series that friends and co-workers are not interested in so i go to the library. Once in a great while like once a year i will buy a brand new book with a coupon.

I have a journal i keep of books read and listings of books i want to read

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Never heard of Fantastic Fiction! I need to check it out!!!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I use my local library alot! I rarely buy books and when I do, it's through my Library's quarterly book sale! I also use goodreads.com.....they have a section to enter to win free books and I have won two books off that site. One of which was signed with a personal message to me from the author, which I thought was awesome! I have yet to read either book though! LOL....I use the library's request area as well....to get my hands on books that I have been waiting to read. Also my library has a "new release" area....so I always browse through there first and see what I can find. I also rummage through the area where the returned books are...they are sitting on carts waiting to be returned to the shelves....it's always interesting to see what other people have been reading.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My local library is the most wonderful, glorious place ever. My source of many pleasures from books to recordings to periodicals and groups that meet there. No other for me !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm glad to see so many people use the library! I might be a little biased because I work at our local library, but I love it too! I'm always bringing home books for myself, my husband and our kids!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I am so lucky because my Local library card works at almost every library in my county. I put books on hold online and they are delivered right to my local library. I have three libaries within 4 miles of my house in different directions and use them all. I LOVE the library. It is my happy place. I went today and got 3 books from the mystery section and bought 6 books off the for sale cart for 4.00 . I have a used book store very close to me but it is to expensive for used books in my opinion and I almost never buy anything there. I have to really really want something to even look there for it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I love paperbackswap.com.

My advice is to be careful about posting new/popular books all at once, because they go FAST. (There are huge waiting lists).

So, if you are only looking for new/ popular books you may have to wait. But I have rec'd several books on my wish list so I am happy!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I get my books from GW or a couple friends and I borrow/lend/give each other books. Also, where I work we have three large shelves that people donate books for reading. I can't remember the last time I bought a book at the bookstore tho I did receive a $10 GC for Barnes and Nobles from a student for Christmas. I need to go browse.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My mom was a school librarian, up until she retired last year. She would give me books that were being phased out, or if she got a box of books that she didn't think the kids would read.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Our Library has 2 HUGE sales every year with a couple of smaller ones thrown in from time to time. I don't think we've ever left with less than 2 shopping bags full each time. We use them for gifts as well.

We also use paperback swap & occasionally check things out from the library (mostly audio books though). DBF tends to get Barnes & Noble or Amazon gc's for birthday/christmas so we use those when we have them too.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Books are a major draw for me. Unfortunately, I don't use the library as much as I should. I tend to like to keep my books on hand as reference for my own writing. And I tend to re-read the fiction books I have. I have gone to second hand stores as well as the library sales. But most of the time I think I'm keeping my local B&N store open through the amount of my sales. But I do have a discount card there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts