Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year they seem to be worse than usual- I counted four in my kitchen a few minutes ago. There isn't any rotting food in the house or garage, and so far I can't find anything at all that would be attracting them. The only way they can get in the house is when we have the garage or front door open- there aren't any screen windows in most of the house. It's really frustrating- I especially hate having them land on my counters while I'm trying to cook! :yucky:

Does anyone have any tips to get rid of them? I really don't want those gross strips of tape that hang from the ceiling and trap them, but I'm about to resort to them if I can't find any other way.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
house flies gross me out too. Ick, ick, ick. I too have had some in th ehouse, and i also looked for things that were attracting them and couldn't come up with what was drawing them in the house. So i closed up the house and killed the ones i could swat. since then i haven't had any new ones. I have put the tapes up by the doors, in hopes to stop then from entering too far into the house. that way i can have the doors and windows open for air circulation.

Maybe, i don't know any thing about flies, maybe they came in to escape the heat to cool their bodies??

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I heard that they don't like fabric softener sheets. If you hang them around, it should help. I am gonna try it myself really soon because we are getting an over abundance of them flying around. We live out in the country so we have a lot of them.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Ok guys, y'all are going to think I am crazy, I thought it was crazy when I first saw it too. We had a big family get together at my inlaws and it was all outside and the flies here have been bad too. When I got over to inlaws, they had bags of water hanging from the rails of there garage door and in each bag was a couple of pennies. I don't know how they work but believe it or not, there was only a couple of flies that even entered their garage, most just flew to the bags and then back out the door. My DH's uncle said that he found out about it while driving a truck and he had to deliver something to a poultry house, he said all along the dock they had bags of water hanging and he asked the man in charge what they were for and the man told him, "you go to the other side and take a look and then you come back and tell me" he said he walked the other side of the building and where they had none of the bags of water, the flies were thick, but on the side he was on there was not a single fly. Sounds weird but it worked.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
could it have to do with the chemical reaction of the water and the copper?? I am going to give it a try!!! what kind of bags? just shopping type bags?? ziplock?

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Just clear ziplock bags. They just filled them up and then tied a knot in them and hung them with piece of rope or twine from the garage door rails. They did try a cheap plastic bag and it started to leak but the better quality ziplock bags are still holding up well and we filled them up Friday afternoon. I hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Yep, Kathy, that sounds nuts. I wonder if you could use balloons, you know, more decorative.

The flies were terrible down at the river over the weekend. I'll be trying this Labor Day for sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That is so funny about the bags of water because I just saw an ad on tv from Lowes wherer they sell these bags you fill with water and hang outside to catch bugs...
Let me see if I can find the name of them they are called rescue disposible fly traps......

Eileen

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, Kathy, it sounds a little strange, but I'll give it a try! Think I should leave DH a note (he's at work, night shift) or just let him try to figure it out when he gets home in the middle of the night? LOL. :laugh:

Am I understanding you correctly that the entire bag is sealed? Or is the water part supposed to be open?

I guess it's not any more strange than DH's family putting out saucers of beer at the family reunion to discourage bees from hanging around the food.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
It is just ziplock bags that are tied in a knot and hung by a piece of twine or rope. I have seen the ones with the opening for the bugs to fly in but these are not like that, they are just a plain old bag tied closed and hung. I don't think the balloons would work because they have to be clear. I know it is weird but it really works. I did a search online about them and I could not find a single explanation for how it worked but I found lots of places and people who did them and said that they worked for them too. :D

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Actually ladies, the ziplock's with water work w/o the pennies, too. The bags are sealed and the reason it works is because of the way flies eyes are made.

When they fly close to the bag...they don't see the bag...just the water...they think it's a wall of water...a water fall, consequently, they stay away from the opening the bag is over.

I thought my SIL was nuts the first time I saw hers over the door...LOL

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Thanks for the info Graci :D

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
hmmmm......

very interesting, i might have to try this. seems we have a gazillion flies this year too.:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts