Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gosh I am so confused but I have some really nice garden spots in the backyard but my dogs keep getting in there, therefore I can not plant flowers or veggies to grow because they will eat them :(

I have the chicken wire/poultry netting but wondering how I install it, what do I need besides the wire to set it in place and keep it there?

1 x 2 wood pieces I have, is there anything else?

Yes I am going to need a step-by-step on this one and i want to do it without DH's help so I can finally accomplish this tiny task on my own :)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
A staple gun will be helpful. Tack the chicken wire to the 1x2's. Then pound the stakes in the gound. Make sure when you attach the wire you leave enought space on the stake to pound it into the ground. Also don't space the stakes out too far or it'll sag. You can try putting the stakes in the ground then mounting your wire on it but this maybe a 2 person job. One to hold the wire upright and tight while the other staples it on.
If I was closer I'd come over and help. I know how upsetting it is to have the dog trample things.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Laurie, I wish you were closer too! :) Sure would be nice since you know how to put this stuff up. I will most likely have DH help me out.

I do have the wood pieces and a staple gun so that's a plus, those darn dogs just want to dig or poop in there and it's getting annoying! I want some flowers or just some veggies or spices growing in there :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Trace
You can put the sticks in the ground by tapping with a hammer
The take the wire and use bread bag wires to hold the wire to the sticks. You can also use torn-up stripes of sheet or shirts whathave you to hold the wire to the sticks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've made my own fences very simply by using plastic poles that have clips on them, the chicken wire (or any light weigh fencing) will easily slip in & out of the clips on the poe. The poles have spikes on the bottom so you can just push them into the ground. These fences work fine for me, but may not be as sturdy as using wood poles that are driven deeper into the ground.

Good luck w/ your fence & keeping those doggies out of your garden!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gosh I need all the luck I can get, lol :) DH is the handy one around here and I really want to accomplish this tiny task on my own, I am crossing my fingers. :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Your not gonna have any problems. If we can do it you can do it. Have all the faith in the world in you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts