Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an email stating that there is a lawsuit being filed against my old company for back wages. When we worked OT we were only paid straight time, not time and a half. This lawsuit is to get the correct payment for those OT hours. This lawsuit goes back 3 years and covers my entire time with with the company. By getting straight time I was shorted over $10,000 pretax dollars and it you want to be picky I was also shorted on my 401k match on that unpaid money which I'm sure isn't part of the lawsuit.

So how does this work? They take the company to court, get what they can from them, then the lawyers take their cut and we get what's left? I don't know how many people would be in on the lawsuit...could be 1,000, could be 5,000, could be more. Should I "expect" 50% of what I was owed?

· Registered
13,262 Posts
They should be providing that info in the letter, or making available an address where you can get it. But yes, the court takes its cut and you get what is left.

I wouldn't expect much. Coincidentally I got a similar letter last week for a lawsuit and settlement regarding one of my investments. After fees and expenses my share of the payment is expected to be less than $20.

Reactions: Livin Large

· Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The letter states that they are "seeking unpaid OT wages, double damages (whatever that it), attorney fees and costs." It does give contact information. The letter reads that the judge gave permission for the lawsuit to go forth and they are now contacting all employees and former employees to verify if they want to participate in the lawsuit.

Gees....$20 isn't much :sad: I hope i get more than $20 out of $10,000. OK, put feet back on ground. I was all excited to think I might get $5k in a year or two....if they win the lawsuit.

Thanks!!

· Registered
1 Posts
The trial begins with a prosecution and local court, as far as I know. It consists of investigative, criminal, and executive stages. I have dreamed of becoming a lawyer for a long time. I even updated my knowledge on https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/4-faqs-about-counterfeit-prescription-drug-crime-defense-62779 last week. However, I have to work in another field now. Btw, you can file a lawsuit without a lawyer. The application for the appointment of a lawyer from the bar association is a personal choice of the person.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts