Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Recently, I have developed an interest in paintings. I am not that good as I am in the learning process. I started with water colors and now I have switched to oil paintings. Well, my first oil painting turned out to be really good. I painted an old lady sitting in a garden. Now I want to do some abstract work. Tell me, is it OK to do abstract painting on my own or do I need to take the help of an expert.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Before there was the term 'Abstract Art' and it was just painting... who did the 'Masters' learn from?

http://wwar.com/masters/movements/abstract_art.html

You don't need formal training to pick up a paint brush and do what is in your heart. If you feel you need 'directions' maybe a general art appreciation class at a community college?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I love abstract painting. Surprisingly, I find this to be the hardest of all. I tend to 'overthink" what I am doing, and I am constantly fiddling with the painting to get it to look like the abstract art that I have in my head!

If you really want to be a stickler...you could always check out a book from the library to read up on abstract. But I agree with Lady_V, painting (especially abstract) is painting from the heart. So pick up a brush...throw caution to the wind...and paint!~

·
Registered
17 Posts
Art that "Happens"

Abstract painting is my favorite! For years I tried to paint like other people. Trying to do other people's art instead of my own. I was knit-picking everything about my art so much that was loosing it's appeal. Then I started painting abstract and found out that I was FREE. I've always been in love with the brushes, and the canvas and the smell and feel of all the new supplies, all of the potential. So I just left all techniques behind and started painting, without planning, without thinking. It turned out that I surprised myslef and that feeling was so uplifiting that it became addictive. I couldn't wait to see what I was going to end up with when I put my brush to the canvas. I called it "art that happens" because even I don't have any idea of what the results are going to be. To this day, my favorite paintings are the ones I did like this, and I think it can be the best thing and artist can do for themselves. Abstract painting can set you free. And a book or instructions is against the point. So I think you should follow your passions and just put the brush to the surface. It's an adventure. :clap:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts