Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your house? Beyond boiling water on the stove. We have forced air heat, and it is so dry down here.

·
4,028 Posts
I've used a plug in waterfall but it required refilling often in the winter.
My elderly client put a basin of water under her heating unit in her apartment.
I make soup or simmer spices in water on the stove.
You could also try a large vase of water on top of the heating unit or by the vents so it can evaporate.

Reactions: baxjul

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i use a cool mist humidifier in my bedroom- otherwise i would have such bad sinus headaches i would be sick all day long .

we put tap water in a bottle and ket it sit a few days so its distilled ( or close to it ) as we use one that doesnt have a paper filter

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Any water sitting will help ....some. I keep my orchids on a tray of pebbles and it has water in it.......even this helps.

I use a humidifier.............it helps but seems to make the air much cooler. I run it during the day......in the LR......a room that I am not in during the day.

I also have a small 'cheap' hygrometer to keep track of the humidity as you don't want it over 60...........and it is better to try to keep it around 50%. Got this one at WM ages ago.

If you get one......do a salt test to see how accurate it is..........don't think I would run a humidifier w/o one......too big of chance for too high and that would create mold.

·
Registered
984 Posts
We run a cool mist humidifier in the bedroom at night. Without we are miserable with sinus trouble and dry noses and throats.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
All my clothes drying on racks adds moisture. If it gets really dry we go the vaporizer route.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can also purchase a warm mist humidifier I have 2 one in bedroom and one in livingroom, they were 45.00 at walmart

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
My grandmother used to put bowls of water on the registers so when the air blew out it would put some moisture in the air.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
water bowls at the registers, cool mist humidifier in the bedrooms, open dishwasher and let them airdry, our humidifier on the furnace does not work so well so this is what i do to help. we all have sinus/allergy issues and i find as long as i use clean plastic bowls each day it does help some.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
We use tin cans filled with water and put in registers, dry clothes rack, leave bathroom door open while taking a shower, houseplants help tremendously, but I don't have anywhere to put them.

Cat

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Humidifyer, fish tank, plug in waterfall things, i have a water based room deodorizer thing, it's like a mini crockpot, you fill with water to the line and drop in a few drops of what looks like essential oils or potpourri (i know what it is called, I can't think of the name though, probably something easy.)

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgot to mention that my registers are in the ceiling! lol

I do open the dishwasher, line dry clothing inside. so those are taken care of. My skin is just so cracked from the dryness, and my poor dd is getting 3 or 4 bloody noses a day.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
When I notice the air is getting too dry, I wet a bath towel at bedtime, wring it out so it isn't drippy, and hang it in the bedroom. As it dries it adds moisture and when it's done, I still have a clean dry towel, if not as fluffy a one.

I've tried humidifiers, but just found them to be too much trouble.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
dont know if it would help, but, what about putting bowls of water right underneath where the ceiling registers are? maybe...

just put some pots of water in the bedrooms at night may help?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up. My vents are up near the vents but I have furniture underneath them so I will be filling vases with water and setting them under the vents.

I also have a couple plants and the cats waterbowls around this small apartment.

It is frustrating trying to keep your skin from drying out.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I keep a kettle on the wood stove..and the house plants..sometimes I get to much..Also line dry cloths in a spare room...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts