Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I hang mine in the shower or on the clothes line, spray with 409 or other all purpose cleaner, soak, then spray down.

·
27,948 Posts
Dh rigs them up on the oudoor clothesline sprays them with a degreaser and hoses them down.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I use oxiclean on mine. Let them soak in oxiclean in the tub, and spray off. But, using a feather duster on them cuts down on the work I have found.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I hang em up in the shower too.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I don't have blinds but here we have little things that look like tongs with sponge on and you grab them with that and clean.

Don't you have those?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I took mine outside and laid them on a picnic table and hosed them off. Then I mixed TSP in a bucket of hot water and used a big sponge to wipe them off. I turned them over and did both sides. Mine were REALLY dirty! After that I hosed them down with cold water and hung them over a rail post on my deck to dry off.

I have washed them in the winter in the shower. I took wire hangers and bent them into a loop-holder so I could hang the blinds on the shower rod. I keep an extra shower rod in the bathroom just behind the one that holds the curtains. It comes in handy for lots of wet things. Anyways, I hung the miniblinds that way and washed with a sponge and some dish soap. Then I used the shower sprayer to rinse them down and left the them to drip dry above the tub. It took longer that way but it was winter and I wanted to wash them.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I had gotten rid of all of mine in my other house and am working on getting rid of the ones here. I like the roll type better. They are so much easier to maintain.
Jeanna

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I spray mine and hose off in the shower too !!!!!!
Great minds think alike !!!!!!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Help! Cleaning miniblinds?

Ok - When I moved into my place in November the kitchen blinds were (are) caked with food gunk. Anyway, I just pulled up the blinds and hung curtains for the winter, now however I need to close the blinds because the kitchen is getting too hot. Does anyone know how to clean this crud off the blinds? They're metal, so I'm leary of soaking them in the tub.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I use a steam cleaner on mine :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I put an old sheet over the picnic table, spray them down with the hose, hit them with a strong degreaser, let them set a few minutes and then take a scrub brush to them. Flip and do the backside. Rinse off and let dry.

Just be careful not to bend or crimp (sp?) the slats.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Same as above- degreaser, let them soak , spray them off

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
don't worry that they are metal. The sun will dry them up quick quick so no time to rust.

·
Registered
938 Posts
By degreaser, do you mean something like oven cleaner? I normally just use vinegar, peroxide & baking soda to clean, so I'll have to go get something.
Thanks for all your help!

·
27,948 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
There is a product they sell at dollar stores called "Awesome" that works super well as a degreaser. Also, theres something at Wal-mart called mean green that works well. I spray that stuff on anything greasy, let it sit, then wipe or spray off. I don't think your blinds will rust.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is a product they sell at dollar stores called "Awesome" that works super well as a degreaser. Also, theres something at Wal-mart called mean green that works well. I spray that stuff on anything greasy, let it sit, then wipe or spray off. I don't think your blinds will rust.
Yep!
I own a residential cleaning service, and this is what we use...."Awesome" is awesome! :lol:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had metal ones - did them in the tub with some degreaser

1 - 20 of 21 Posts