Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking the ones that are too big to put in your washing machine. I would LOVE to hear some ideas on what to do. If it were summer I would probably just hose them down with cleaner and hang to dry but I"m CLUELESS. Dry cleaners?? Industrial washing machines?? Do they have those??

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Back to what Mom taught me. lol Every spring she would set up Dads ladders in the back yard. Two tall step ladders with the long extension ladder shoved down over the top steps. We'd haul out the first rug and hang it over then if there was room another til the line was full. Then the garden hose was set up with the nozzle and a sprayer bottle filled with Lysol (brown bottle stuff).
Rug was beaten to remove loose dirt. We used brooms and old tennis racks.
Then the rug was soaked with water, sprayed with the Lysol and rinsed. Left to sun dry. Drug back in before the dew set on it. Next set of rugs next morning. Me I've changed that method alittle since I have a pressure washer.
I lay it out on the drive way and soak it, Lysol it then spray it clean. Then the hard part. Drape over something usually emtpy five gallon buckets. Sun dry. Carry in before dew sets. DH teases that you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl. I do these intresting projects out front on the driveway for all the neighbors to watch. He's very sensitive as to what others think. Me I know they know I'm clean!

Laurie in BRadenton

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
If it would fit in a big washer, I'd take it to the laundrymat. That's what I do with the comforter from our bed- it's too big for a regular washer, but it fits in the industrial ones at the laundrymat.

Otherwise, I'd have to say just wait for warm weather and hose it down, then lay it out to dry, like Laurie said. Could you suspend it above your bathtub to dry, or is it too big/heavy?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the problem is that one of the rugs got wet and mildewed so its in the basement til I can figure out what to do with it. So can't use it til I get it cleaned. As its the dead of winter outside isn't an option. I'm guessing the rugs (2 of them) are 10x6 or something?? Just room-size rugs. I ws thinking of the laundromat but I've never been so wasn't sure they had industrial size -- and if that would work!

·
Registered
85 Posts
As for the mildew, can you spray them down with something like the antimicrobial febreeze? I'm thinking that might help get the mildew out. Or maybe a bit of vinegar and water, and then let it dry? At least that way it wouldn't be so smelly.

Do you have room in your basement to hang a clothesline? That might be another idea.....throw it over a clothesline and fill a bottle with something to help get rid of the smell and then turn a fan on it to help it dry overnight.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Since taking it out isn't an option right now and mildew is a problem I would try sprinkling some baking soda on it. That may at least arrest the odor. A sprinkle of kitty litter may also help with the dampness.

Laurie in BRadenton

·
Registered
579 Posts
I borrow my moms carpet steam cleaner and it works well. Many hardware stores have cleaners you can rent for the day, or you can borrow one. So if you can spread the rugs in the basement, maybe you can steam them down there. I use very hot water poured into it and I am amazed at the junk that gets sucked up by the cleaner!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts