Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just took over my sisters side of the house and it doesn't look like the shower grout has EVER been cleaned. How can I get rid of the mold and mildew stains without breaking the bank. I want to do this as economical as I can. I have grout brushes.... HELP thanks

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Bleach! It's what works for me. Take a spray bottle and do some water and bleach and spray it down. Let is still for a bit and come back to scrub. May take a few sessions, but it'll get done. I spray ours down about once a week and it keeps it at bay once you have it under control initially.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Our upstairs bathroom badly needs renovating, but unfortunately we don't have the cash right now. I love TILEX. Our bathroom is from the 1970's and I spray Tilex on 1x week and it whitens the grout. I try to be careful cuz it has a strong odor and I have pets and a child. BUT I have yet to find another product that helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the bleach isn't doing the job, try using hydrogen peroxide instead. A good friend swears by it said her white grout never looked so clean!! Spray it let it sit for a bit then brush it off and rinse.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use bleach and a little water in a spray bottle in my shower- I don't have grout but poorly installed caulking (the apt manager decided to not remove the OLD caulk when he put the new on so it looks like my kids took turns putting it on) I don't think it was the correct type but I spray after the last shower of the day.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have also used Oxyclean and had good luck with that, as well as baking soda and vinegar. Gottal love grout....ugh!!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
It could also very well be that it needs to be re-grouted. If the cleaners suggested don't work (especially the bleaching), than chances are that it's the case. We went thru this in our master bath. Went nuts with frustration, and alot of expense, only to have to re-do it all in the end. Hope for your sake that the cleaners work, grouting is alot of work, but don't make the same mistake we did.

Theresa :)

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I use Tilex Mold & Mildew and it seems to work wonders. Best if sprayed on right after someone has had a shower. Spray on, let sit a few mins, scrub with a wet toothbrush and rinse. Repeat on problem areas if necessary.

I'm considering the oxiclean as I do not want to buy Tilex anymore b/c of the odour. Bleach fumes take their toll on me.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you decide to go for bleach (and most probably the other cleaners too), make sure you have good ventilation or as good as it gets. If you can't open a window, try to get outside once in a while. And sorry if it sounds too careful, but being a chemist, I learned to be careful with that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I agree with bleach and a good scrub brush.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I use Mean Green. Spray. It cleaned everything extremely well. Once you get it clean. Let it dry then reseal it. That will go a long way in preventing it from absorbing the grit again

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I get down on my knees and use a little comet if it is real bad..or an all purpose spry cleaner...I think the key is the scrub brush and elbow grease....
I also get down on my hand and knees with a rag and bathroom cleaner on the tile and get into every corner...so it does not get real bad...
the second key hand and knees hugs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts