Frugal Village Forums banner

How do you decide- drive time vs. on-the-shelf costs?

997 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Momof3girls 
#1 ·
The Save A Lot in my city has closed. The next city over has a big one that I really like- it's about a fifteen or twenty minute drive from my house.

I can't get all of our groceries there. There are several things they don't carry, and several others that we prefer different brands. But for the basics- some meats, canned goods, etc.-- I like Save A Lot.

In my city I have Kroger, SuperWalMart, and Aldi's. Obviously, I can shop at any of those places, but their prices are a little higher.

So.... which is better? Driving a little to save $ at the store, or paying a little more at the store but saving gas? (I really do not want to try and calculate every single penny spent, miles per gallon, etc.-- math is not my strong suit!)

P.S. The Save A Lot is NOT on my way to anywhere, nor is it in a location that is on my normal route-- when I go, it's to make a special trip there.

#2 ·
I would perhaps say it may be worth a monthly stock up. But other than that with the price of gas, I would probably stick to what is close for the week to week stuff.

#3 ·
I would suggest you make a run to Save A Lot once a month and do a large order to stock up. Then fill in the edges in your local stores as needed ( and get the loss leaders if that is your normal habit) The gas for a 1x per month trip will be off set by the dollars you save. Just be sure you buy what you need to the month. Also, take your coupons with you. Sometimes SAL gets brand name items and they do accept manufactures coupons!

Reactions: jettsmom
#4 ·
I agree with the once a month stock up. I have a salvage grocery that is a good 75 mile round trip, but they are sooooo incredibly cheap that I can't not shop there, so I go once a month and stock up. Dh pickes up any incidentals we might need through the month on his way home from work.

#5 ·
Yep, once a month totally makes sense. I need to do a good inventory of my pantry & stockpile anyway, now I have a good motivating reason to get it done.

#6 ·
The once a month suggestion seems best. Though secretly, I'm jealous that 15-20 minutes is out of your way, LOL. I live 20-30 minutes from the closest town, or any type of store other than convienance / gas station . :)

#7 ·
LOL-- didn't think about that! I live in a fairly big city with everything else within 5-10 minutes from me, so to me, 15-20 minutes IS out of the way. :)

#8 ·
Gah! Tried to edit that, can't, but what I meant was that going 15-20 minutes to the next city when I have several options here in my city does seem out of the way. I guess I'd appreciate my options a lot more if I lived out in the country! :)

#9 ·
LOL Amy when I read your OP I was thinking wow 15-20 is out of the way???? I live in the country about mid way between two larger areas. I have to go 40 min in either direction (one way) for a grocery store. :crackup:

#10 ·
Luckily, it's not too hard to figure out the gas expense. A 25-mile highway round trip is about a gallon for us ... call it $5. If we save $30, it was obviously worth it. Actually, the time involved is the intangible part - what is our time worth?

The suggestions about hitting more distant stores occasionally to stock up is a good one. Every store has a few things they have the best prices on. Even the 7-11 (nearest store to us -- a half mile hike) sometimes has an oddly reasonable price on something, so why go farther for the same thing?

#11 ·
I agree with the others about at least a once a month trip.

For me... our Aldi's is about 25 minutes from me and checking prices locally, it is well worth a twice a month trip for me. (we get paid every two weeks)

I then use the local stores for "unexpected" needs, loss-leaders or just filling in on fresh produce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.