Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Hubby earns the paycheck & takes care of most things outdoors. I take care of just about everything inside. cleaning, shopping, bill paying, phone call making...
I do do some snowblowing when it's really coming down so it's not too much for dh later on though & used to do some lawn mowing but he's taken over that.;)
This was all decided when we started a family and I became a SAHM. We also realize that each of us is better at and enjoy doing many things in a traditional manner. Works for us.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
we haven't really divided anything. What needs to be done gets done. However, she always does certain things and I always do certain things with each of us pitching in when necessary or happen to be there when it's being done.

Or sometimes I'll even pull a "greebo" and show up just as she is finishing. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
I believe I pretty much do everything, not so much by choice but because it needs to be done. My hubby is medically retired (he's 31) and still has yet to find another job. He pretty much does most of the cooking, and will occasionally do a load of clothes.

I work full time, and am planning to get a second job (we're drowning financially which is why I'm here), while he sits at home. Fair? No, but it's not really worth the arguement anymore.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Generally, I do the indoor stuff and he does the outdoor stuff, however, we blend the two at times according to what needs to be done and how badly the need is.

Finances are shared and I write the checks and keep the checkbook because I have neater handwriting. He keeps track of it all on Quicken because his job is computers and he loves that stuff.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My paychecks go to my account and his to his own account. I pay all utilities and car payment. He pays for house, car insurance, HOA, all the major bills. We go to the store and I pay for the bill then he writes me a check of the 1/2 portion. I pretty much do all the cooking, if it's just for him, either spaghetti or hamburger. He cleans the bathroom and take the trash out. I clean the house and do the dishes. He helps when needed and if I ask him too. It's like he knows when I need it. It's been working for 10 years...........

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
We don't really divide or split anything. Our bills and our money is just that "ours". As far as chores. He is pretty much in charge of the outside and I have the inside. If one or the other needs help we just ask, or sometimes just volunteer.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
We both earn around the same amount take home. We divide the shared bills 50/50 and take care of our own bills. Housechores: these are becoming more 50/50. We take turns scooping the cat litter box each night. The garbage (including kitty scoops) is bagged and tossed in the outside trash bin each night. I usually bag the trash and clean inside the kitchen garbage can and my fiance takes the trash outside to the apt. garbage bin along with any recycle that needs to go down too.

We each dust (rarely) and it's usually a team effort when we decide to tackle dusting the apt. We vacuum a few times a week and we each take turns with this. I typically load the dishwasher and my fiance unloads it after the dishes are washed. I feed the cats dry food in the morning and give them fresh water and he feeds them their moist food in the evening.

I tend to sweep more often and I'm the one who cleans the bathroom on a regular basis. My fiance will make the bed each morning (since he's usually the last out of it) and he also changes the sheet set each week. We have both started sharing the laundry. I do my own laundry he does his own laundry and we share the common laundry washing (towels and sheets). I tend to water the plants and he will "fix" any minor things that he can or handle any computer problems we might have. We have also both started helping with dinner in the evening (most nights).

I would say it's a shared partnership at the moment when it comes to chores and finances. If I ever become a SAHM down the road, then things will be similar to how Darlene and her DH handle things.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Since my mil thought that boys should be pampered and coddled he came to me thinking he had to do nothing when we were both working. After no dinner or laundry and nothing picked up for about a month, I did my laundry at my mom's and maybe some underwear for him he came to see my point of view. He still doesn't cook much but helps me out when I tell him what I need and does his stinky clothes, I do work clothes. Everything else is whoever is close to something needing picked up or whatever. We both do the trash but he takes it out and I mow with my big tractor and he weedeats and finishes the stuff I can't get to. For the first time in a long time we are having the front lawn done, we decided it was worth it for him time wise.

I am working part time so I do about 3/4 of the housework but if we are expecting company he pitches in and helps out.

I've never gotten this whole king/queen of the roost thing because when you are married and living in a home everyone needs to pickup and be considerate of each other. I also handle the finances and we have a set limit on what we spend without talking about it. That has changed according to income.

I do pamper him in the ways he really appreciates it, like he hates to shop for his work clothes so he never has to do that. And he can do/build anything so if I need something built/done for me he does it for me or shows me how to do it. I now have the most wonderful chicken coop built from materials around the property that he has been working on and now it's finished. I made sure he had a blackberry cobbler, the blackberries were another project of mine he helped with, with ice cream waiting for him after he finished.

Marriage isn't 50/50 it's 100% when you can and sometimes it is 50/150 because of sickness or work issues. There are seasons in marriage just like anything else and you have to be aware of what's going on in your marriage in order to see if it's a season or a storm warning!:hot:

If you're, you in a general sense, not able to communicate with your spouse I would suggest counseling or a mediator to help out because money problems can have a root in other things.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My dh works and I am a sahm and full time student. Therefor his paycheck pays all the bills, but as a couple we view that check as our money. I handle the bill paying and do most of the household chores, inside and out. Though I am starting to delegate more jobs to the kids as they are hold enough to help out and it frees up time for me to study. The one outside chore my husband tackles is the garden. I haven't quite figured out how that relaxes him, takes alot of work to maintain it.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Both of our paychecks go into our joint checking (with the expection of 50$ of my paycheck which goes to my son's account). We budget to the nearest hundred so if my paycheck is (for example) 995, then that extra 95$ is swept into my savings account and we do this with dh's check so that the extra goes to his savings account. Our joint savings is funded iwth money from joint savings. I handle the finances but I make sure he knows what is going on.

Chores-wise, I do a lot of them, but he does help.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I agree with Ann, we dont divide anything, he works I dont, but I take care of paying the bills, cleaning the house, grocery shopping, cooking, etc... and it's how it's always been for years.

Dh takes care of the outside like cutting the lawn, fixing the cars, etc... he doesnt ask me to do it, he just does it, same with me and the household stuff.

We never discussed it, it is just how it came to be. He also is the bread winner, he brings home the money, I spend it, lol... on bills and mortgage that is.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All our money goes into a joint account. I get $20/week blow money , he gets $10/week blow money (difference due to the fact that I work , he doesn't - I get hit up for gifts, donations, etc. at work.) Before he got sick, it all went in the same account, bills were paid, and we each just spent whatever was left - it went into one envelope for spending and when it was gone, it was gone. Now we divide it and it seems more fair to each of us.

Household chores -- he does most of them these days. Since he can't work, he does the laundry (including hanging it on the line) dishes, cooking. I do the mopping of floors, cleaning toiliets, etc. He'd never think those things needed done.

I do mow the yards at times, I do most of the baking, some cooking - there are some things he just won't/can't cook.

Before he got sick, we just did what needed done. Whoever was off work did what needed done at the time. Laundry - I'd put it in to wash when I got up. He'd hang it to dry before he left for work ( I left at 4:30 AM, he left at 8:30 AM), I'd take it down and put it away when I got home. I'd cook supper every day, because I was home first -- he did the dishes. Like I said, the house work, and yard work got done whenever either one of us had a day off.

My parents always divided their finances. Dad owned his own business, and it was easier for them that way. I don't know how they decided who paid for what -- but mom did the house payment, groceries, phone, health insurance,clothing. Dad did the car insurance, car maintainance, tags, property taxes, electricity, propane. Mom bought all the gifts with only a few exceptions.

My oldest son and his wife divide their finances too. They lived together for a few years before they got married. Her parents have never married. My son pays all the household bills - payment, taxes, insurance, utlities, maintainance. They each pay for their own car stuff. She buys the groceries, clothes, etc. she's still in college, and she pays for most of that herself, although I know he's helped pay for some of the books, etc. when she's been short. Since she works full time and goes to school full time, my son does most of the household stuff. She does the laundry though - as she doesn't like the way he does it:)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All our money goes into a joint account. I get $20/week blow money , he gets $10/week blow money (difference due to the fact that I work , he doesn't - I get hit up for gifts, donations, etc. at work.) Before he got sick, it all went in the same account, bills were paid, and we each just spent whatever was left - it went into one envelope for spending and when it was gone, it was gone. Now we divide it and it seems more fair to each of us.

Household chores -- he does most of them these days. Since he can't work, he does the laundry (including hanging it on the line) dishes, cooking. I do the mopping of floors, cleaning toiliets, etc. He'd never think those things needed done.

I do mow the yards at times, I do most of the baking, some cooking - there are some things he just won't/can't cook.

Before he got sick, we just did what needed done. Whoever was off work did what needed done at the time. Laundry - I'd put it in to wash when I got up. He'd hang it to dry before he left for work ( I left at 4:30 AM, he left at 8:30 AM), I'd take it down and put it away when I got home. I'd cook supper every day, because I was home first -- he did the dishes. Like I said, the house work, and yard work got done whenever either one of us had a day off.

My parents always divided their finances. Dad owned his own business, and it was easier for them that way. I don't know how they decided who paid for what -- but mom did the house payment, groceries, phone, health insurance,clothing. Dad did the car insurance, car maintainance, tags, property taxes, electricity, propane. Mom bought all the gifts with only a few exceptions.

My oldest son and his wife divide their finances too. They lived together for a few years before they got married. Her parents have never married. My son pays all the household bills - payment, taxes, insurance, utlities, maintainance. They each pay for their own car stuff. She buys the groceries, clothes, etc. she's still in college, and she pays for most of that herself, although I know he's helped pay for some of the books, etc. when she's been short. Since she works full time and goes to school full time, my son does most of the household stuff. She does the laundry though - as she doesn't like the way he does it:)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Nothing is divided. Everything is shared.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
:yes:

Except he does more of the mechanical stuff (repairs and such).

·
Registered
373 Posts
We share everything. What is mine is his and what is his is mine. Except, he doesn´t do the laundry. Everything else is shared.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is commendable -- can you tell us how that works in day to day life? do you do 1/2 of the dishes ,and he does 1/2? Do you vacumn 1/2 the floor and he does 1/2? or how exactly do you share chores, etc? and how did you decide to do it that way?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My dh is the wage earner and outside worker but will pitch in with anything that needs to be done in the house. Loves to cook and would do laundry if needed.

I take care of everything that makes this business/marriage flow. Finances, repairs, cleaning, cooking, etc.

Whatever needs to be done, gets done. Doesn't matter who does it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts