Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be our first year having a garden and I was wondering what to do/use to keep insects from eating everything...any ideas?

·
27,948 Posts
Planting marigolds around and in your garden helps keep some bugs at bay.
I flick off japanese beetles (public enemy#1) into a bucket of water, pour onto sidewalk & moosh 'em. Not a pleasant way to go...so the ones that escape should tell their friends to stay out of my yard.
Slugs are another pest. I put a small dish of beer out at night and they drown in it.:toothy:
If I have to I will resort to chemicals but make that a last resort.
Yep life's a party for unwanted bugs at my house. :)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i heard that coffee grounds will kill off ants...probably heard it here. Have heard about the beer too, again probably here:D . LOL any way to get the bugs off with out touching em?? LOL eeeewwww I am bug-phobic, lol

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Yeah Melissa, you just take a stick/some other object and knock 'em into the bucket. It is not as gentle on the plants, but gets rid of the "eeww factor". At least that is my method. Or you could always use sevin spray, but that is toxic to animals and kiddos. :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
I mix up a spray bottle of water, lemon liquid dishing washing soap, and listerine type mouthwash for the big bugs. I spray it directly on the bugs, kills them everytime, and it smells good too. I mix that same solution into a coffee tin and knock the Japanese Beetles into it, and it kills them in a few seconds...none escape me! For the smaller bugs (like aphids), I just use dishwashing soap and water in a spray bottle. I crush egg shells around the base of the fleshy plants that snails and slugs like and they won't climb over them.
The only chemical spray that I use is for black spot for my roses. I can't find a good natural alternative for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.